By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your Favorite 3D Mario Game?

Favorite 3D Mario game?

Super Mario 64 17 20.24%

Super Mario Sunshine 3 3.57%

Super Mario Galaxy 20 23.81%

Super Mario Galaxy 2 15 17.86%

Super Mario 3D Land 3 3.57%

Super Mario 3D World 12 14.29%

Super Mario Odyssey 14 16.67%

Total:84

I am interested to replay 64 and Galaxy in 2020 though. I thought 64 had already seemed a bit dated the last time I replayed it on the DS, well over a decade ago, so I’m a bit nervous as to how it will feel now. Galaxy I thought was still a timeless masterpiece when I last replayed it about 5 years ago.

Around the Network

Galaxy 1
Followed by Galaxy 2

And thats it. Thats my top 2. Never been much of a fan of 3D Mario games, that series saw its golden years in 2D.

The best ones are definitely Mario 64, both Galaxies, and Odyssey. Mario 64 obviously has the most nostalgia around it, and simply running in circles and jumping in that game is fun, but I imagine its scope and detail of worlds doesn't hold up to more recent Mario games. Galaxy, Galaxy 2, and Odyssey are all amazing. Galaxy 2 was definitely a bit better than Galaxy as it came close to perfecting the Galaxy formula, and I feel like maybe it was a little better than Odyssey because with the switch from like stars to collect to more numerous moons to collect some of the moon were just too easy and didn't feel that rewarding, so I just voted for Galaxy 2.

Yeah mine isn't the popular choice but...yes...3D Land. I just love everything about this game. The levels and level variety are just gold, the music is great, tons of content and replayability, just the perfect 3D Mario for me.

Galaxy 2 would be my second choice though. followed by Odyssey, Galaxy 1, 3D World, Sunshine and then 64. Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Mario 64. I tried to like it but I dunno I guess being born when Mario 64 was old news, it wasn't a game I grew up with. But I fully understand the impact it had on not only the 3D Mario games going forward but 3D games in general.

Super Mario 64 as the first 3D Mario game was as close as you can get to perfection, the movement was incredible, the level design consistent across the board and a great transition of themes and presentation from 2D Mario to 3D.

Super Mario Sunshine is the least polished of the bunch, a lot of collision issues and some glitchy physics, but it still retains a lot of the great level design and movement of 64, got a lot of mileage out of the tropical setting while still keeping areas feeling distinct and the more linear platforming challenges were a good change of pace in the middle of the more open 64 like levels.

The Super Mario Galaxy games, while don't feel as fluid and their movement not as expansive as 64 and Sunshine, they trade that with much more inventive ideas and level design. Galaxy was a great novelty for Mario, with its presentation, atmosphere and an emphasis on a more epic feeling storyline than the previous games, more akin to an adventure like its RPG spin-offs while keeping the mainline simplicity. Galaxy 2 is technically superior to the first game in almost every aspect compared except story, it has a better use of the orchestral score, even more inventive level design and ideas, and Yoshi, but is not as novel as the original game, could have kept the same gameplay premise but with a different story and stakes to avoid feeling like a less epic Galaxy 1 and stand tall with it, still both incredible games.

Super Mario 3D Land is the most standard of the series, it has all the ingredients of what makes an amazing game, but it lacks the flavor that the previous entries had, very much more like a New Super Mario Bros. in 3D, while still having more heart put into it than those. Super Mario 3D World fixes all of that, it keeps the 3D Land style but adds the creativity in spades of the 3D Mario games, is one of the most consitently good and inventive Mario game, by mixing a lot of ideas from every game while adding new ones. Only thing holding them back is that they don't feel very epic as a whole, but rather reach that peak brilliance at certain moments, 3D World may have the greatest Bowser fight ever concieved, but moments like those are only felt sometimes rather than the entire run.

Super Mario Odyssey is a game that eclipses every other title in its sense of adventure, Mario's movement is the best in the series, the world feels diverse and creative, and while the level of creativity across every kingdom can vary, they all have memorable moments even in the less inspired ones, the capture mechanic brings a ton of new ideas to the table, as the game keeps piling new enemies and things in every kingdom making them don't feel stale, is a pure joy to play.

As a rank it would be: Odyssey > 3D World > Galaxy/2 (I'll have to replay them to be 100% sure) > 64 > Sunshine > 3D Land

On the whole they are an amazing set of games, unmatched by any other 3D platformer.

Around the Network

Overall probably 3D World. I tend to think 3D Mario is only an ok game to begin with, so it's more fun to play with friends. If I were to rank the ones I've played it would be

3D World > Galaxy > Galaxy 2 > Sunshine > Odyssey > 64
(haven't played 3D Land)

Dulfite said:
64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 are locked behind controllers, at least initially, I did not enjoy.

Sunshine is short. 3D world was fun, but not as unique as it's predecessor.

It's between Odyssey and 3D Land for me. 3D land was such a shockingly good and enjoyable game that felt like it came out of no where. The post game content on that game was INSANE for Nintendo, so I'm giving it to them and I see as of now I'm the only one that voted for it lol oh well.

3D Land, very interesting.

I think many might have blown that one off because of what it's not, rather than what it is (similar to 3D World). I for one liked it quite a bit.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Super Mario Odyssey. Almost every issue I have with it is a nitpick. The creativity and also return to form it offered to Mario were so refreshing.
After that...SMG2>SMG>SMS>SM64>SM3DW>SM3DL

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

If I had to rank them I guess I'd go:

Galaxy > Galaxy 2 > Odyssey > 64 > 3D World > 3D Land > Sunshine

Galaxy 2 retained almost everything great about the first game and is still one of the best games ever made, but I found its brighter aethetics (e.g. blue skies over more cosmic backdrops) and score a little less powerful, and it didn't feel quite as fresh or impactful as the original.

Odyssey is jam-packed with inspired ideas and fantastic variety, and while it did have a little too much padding, it's still a gold-class revival of the collectathon-platformer subgenre for the modern age.

64 is showing its age, but still boasts memorable worlds, a broad range of challenges, and a great sense of adventure.

3D World is somewhat lacking scope and ambition compared to the games mentioned so far, but is still polished to a glowing sheen and plenty of fun.

3D Land is a little less memorable than World, but still very enjoyable.

Sunshine is just meh.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 14 September 2020

Odyssey