Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your Favorite 3D Mario Game?

Favorite 3D Mario game?

Super Mario 64 17 20.24%

Super Mario Sunshine 3 3.57%

Super Mario Galaxy 20 23.81%

Super Mario Galaxy 2 15 17.86%

Super Mario 3D Land 3 3.57%

Super Mario 3D World 12 14.29%

Super Mario Odyssey 14 16.67%

Total:84

If I had to rank them I guess I'd go:

Galaxy > Galaxy 2 > Odyssey > 64 > 3D World > 3D Land > Sunshine

Galaxy 2 retained almost everything great about the first game and is still one of the best games ever made, but I found its brighter aethetics (e.g. blue skies over more cosmic backdrops) and score a little less powerful, and it didn't feel quite as fresh or impactful as the original.

Odyssey is jam-packed with inspired ideas and fantastic variety, and while it did have a little too much padding, it's still a gold-class revival of the collectathon-platformer subgenre for the modern age.

64 is showing its age, but still boasts memorable worlds, a broad range of challenges, and a great sense of adventure.

3D World is somewhat lacking scope and ambition compared to the games mentioned so far, but is still polished to a glowing sheen and plenty of fun.

3D Land is a little less memorable than World, but still very enjoyable.

Sunshine is just meh.

Last edited by curl-6 - 6 days ago

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Odyssey

I'll say 64, though I'm curious to see how replaying it in 3D All-Stars may affect my perception of it. After that I'd say it goes to Odyssey, followed closely by 3D World. Galaxy is a great game as well, and 2 by extension. 3D Land was great for being a handheld entry and I enjoyed that quite a bit. Sunshine is my least favorite mainly because it felt a bit unpolished when I initially played it and at the time I felt like I was going through a phase where I didn't really enjoy much of Nintendo's output as much as I did during the N64 years. Like 64 I'm wondering how my feelings on Sunshine will change when I play it again in the upcoming collection and whether it will affect how I rank everything.

Dulfite said:

It's between Odyssey and 3D Land for me. 3D land was such a shockingly good and enjoyable game that felt like it came out of no where. The post game content on that game was INSANE for Nintendo, so I'm giving it to them and I see as of now I'm the only one that voted for it lol oh well.

I was anxiously awaiting Uncharted 3 in 2011 and picked up 3D Land for the 3DS around the same time.  I was excited for Mario too, but I didn't expect it to keep me from playing Uncharted 3 for weeks (extensively anyway).  I remember one night booting up my PS3 with the intention of playing Uncharted as I was "finishing up" my play session with 3D Land.  Hours past as Uncharted remained on the title screen with me feverishly playing level after level of Mario.

I did like 3D World quite a bit more, but 3D Land is a gem as well.

Odyssey definitely comes close w/the grander scale & open-world aspect, but ultimately it doesn't quite beat the charm Mario 64 had and still has for me. Maybe it's partly nostalgia, but you also can't deny just how much fun the game still is, and the imaginative nature of the game universe/environments, even if the graphics haven't aged terribly well. Mario Sunshine didn't do much for me between the fairly repetitive tropical environment and weird paint-washing gimmick. It was my least favorite 3D Mario game.

Galaxy games were somewhat a return to form, but wasn't too keen on the constant bouncing from one tiny planet environment to the next or the overworld. Galaxy 2 ironed out these issues somewhat with the more straightforward map system and larger environments. 3D World was somewhat amusing with the simultaneous multiplayer but didn't do much for me otherwise. Felt like Nintendo was trying to bridge the gap between 2D and 3D Mario but it doesn't entirely work. Certainly better than 3D land on 3DS tho. 

So ultimately I'd rank them as such:

Mario 64>Mario Odyssey>>>>>>Galaxy 2>>>Galaxy 1>>>>Mario 3D World>Mario 3D Land>>>Sunshine

"We hold these truths t-be self-ful evident. All men and women created by the.. Go-you know the.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network

1. Galaxy - Pure gaming bliss. One of my all time favorites. Everything about it is so fantastic. I don't even know how to properly describe it. The way everything comes together is just amazing.

2. 64 - A classic. Unbelievably great game design at a time when gaming was just moving into 3D. I should properly replay this at some point. Something about the DS version did not work for me. Didn't control as well if I remember right. I would not be surprised if this moved down the list once I got to the more modern Mario games.

3. Sunshine - My favorite parts of the game were those without FLUDD. Mario controlled like a dream in those parts. With FLUDD, it was ok. Just not what I was looking for in a Mario platformer.

4. 3D Land - A good game. Something about it just doesn't do it for me, compared to the rest of these games. I think part of it is the weird way momentum/running works in this game. The setting is really strange too. So many levels are just a bunch of floating platforms in the middle of nowhere. That's just... lame. I need more creativity than that.

NNID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
3DS - Currently Gaming Like It's 2011 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
PC - Currently Gaming Like It's 2012 - Borderlands 2
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links

archbrix said:
Dulfite said:

It's between Odyssey and 3D Land for me. 3D land was such a shockingly good and enjoyable game that felt like it came out of no where. The post game content on that game was INSANE for Nintendo, so I'm giving it to them and I see as of now I'm the only one that voted for it lol oh well.

I was anxiously awaiting Uncharted 3 in 2011 and picked up 3D Land for the 3DS around the same time.  I was excited for Mario too, but I didn't expect it to keep me from playing Uncharted 3 for weeks (extensively anyway).  I remember one night booting up my PS3 with the intention of playing Uncharted as I was "finishing up" my play session with 3D Land.  Hours past as Uncharted remained on the title screen with me feverishly playing level after level of Mario.

I did like 3D World quite a bit more, but 3D Land is a gem as well.

That's funny! Yeah, when I think about what makes comes really great, originality comes into play, and 3D Land was a breath of fresh air. We know what was coming with 3D world, and it was great, but it wasn't as unique as 3d land.

My favorite 3D Mario games are Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2. Can't choose which one is better.

1. Mario 64

2. Mario sunshine.

3. Mario odyssey.

steve

64, then Odyssey then 3D World. Sunshine was a miserable game to play. Not to mention massive letdown. Mario 64 and SMW world combined was the hype I was given. It was neither. It was a mess. Nothing was wrong with Galaxy. Just did nothing for me. Mario like many Nintendo IPs with me is hit and miss.

Last edited by Leynos - 5 days ago

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!