By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Your Favorite 3D Mario Game?

Favorite 3D Mario game?

Super Mario 64 17 20.24%

Super Mario Sunshine 3 3.57%

Super Mario Galaxy 20 23.81%

Super Mario Galaxy 2 15 17.86%

Super Mario 3D Land 3 3.57%

Super Mario 3D World 12 14.29%

Super Mario Odyssey 14 16.67%

Total:84

So much love the 3D Super Mario games. Such a tough call here. Could pick any of 64, Galaxy or Odyssey (to my shame I've never completed Galaxy 2).

I went with 64 because it was such an influential and groundbreaking game that is still so fun to this day. Objectively speaking I'd probably say Galaxy is the best though - it's a near perfect game.

Around the Network

Galaxy 1 and 2 by far - these games are simply excellence. If Mario 64 is like the Super Mario Bros of the 2D Mario games, then Galaxy 1 and 2 are Super Mario 3 and World.

Super Mario 64 both blew my mind when it came out and frustrated me when I played it because of all the times where the main challenge was straightening the camera.

Super Mario 3D World has some great ideas, I also loved the multiplayer element. The downside was the linearity. It had a “New Super Mario Bros 3D” feel to it rather than a real 3D Mario. Although, was still quite a lot of fun as a multiplayer game.

Super Mario Odyssey wasn’t bad, but it felt like a less epic Galaxy with flatter level design and a hint of Space Station Silicon Valley and 3D World.

Sunshine felt like half a 3D Mario game in scope. It was missing the diversity of theme and design of all other Mario games, which IMO makes nothing in it stand out. Like 3D World, it didn’t feel like a real 3D Mario game.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

64 I assume? That's the one I spent by far the most time with. 3D World was really cool and I enjoyed it a lot more then Odyssey. Never played Galaxy or Sunshine, but I didn't like their concepts anyway.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Super Mario 3D World I just had way too much fun playing with my friends.

curl-6 said:

Super Mario Galaxy.

From its endlessly inspired and imaginative level design, to its joyous controls, to its sublime soundtrack, it's about as close to perfection as gaming gets.

+ 1, Mario Galaxy withouth any contest. I would like to add, the fun to replay the same levels with luigi, where the 2nd run in Mario Galaxy 2 wasn't any fun at all.

The only thing that could improve MG1, would be adding the Yoshi levels from mario Galaxy 2 and a slightly less depressing story. 

Around the Network

64, Galaxy, Galaxy 2 are locked behind controllers, at least initially, I did not enjoy.

Sunshine is short. 3D world was fun, but not as unique as it's predecessor.

It's between Odyssey and 3D Land for me. 3D land was such a shockingly good and enjoyable game that felt like it came out of no where. The post game content on that game was INSANE for Nintendo, so I'm giving it to them and I see as of now I'm the only one that voted for it lol oh well.

Always practically impossible to choose between Galaxy 1 and 2 for me, but I guess I’ll give the slight edge to the original. Sure 2 perfected the controls and camera, but I think the galaxies in the first are maybe just ever so slightly more memorable and creative, and the soundtrack of the first can’t be beat.

I will say that 3D World honestly may be right behind them though. Definitely right up there with Odyssey in quality, such an underrated Wii U gem. 64 is honestly close to last. I adored it as much as any Nintendo fan as a kid, but playing it in modern times, it definitely shows its age and has been beaten by pretty much all of its successors.

Last edited by HyrulianScrolls - on 14 September 2020

I am going to tag this and get back to you in a couple weeks. I haven't played SM64 or Sunshine in a while, so the All-Stars collection will be a perfect refresher.

From the ones I've played, 3D World > 3D Land > Odyssey.

3D World is kind of the game that made me realize I like Mario platformers, since I didn't like Galaxy when I played it as a kid, and also didn't like the 2D games I tried on the Wii. That's not to say that opinion correlates to one I would have now if I played those games, I simply don't have Galaxy anymore and haven't played the 2D games yet (but I do love Mario Maker).

Odyssey is so disappointing in the sense that, I find the overall idea of Odyssey more appealing than 3D World, it's going for an epic singleplayer experience with controls based around a behind-the-character camera system. But man, does the game's level design feel lazy. It's like Nintendo didn't even try most of the time. The moons are just placed everywhere and don't feel fun to collect because of that. I guess it's on the opposite extreme of the prior games, where you had to go out of your way to get every star by replaying a level. In Odyssey you can't move three feet without stumbling into six moons.

And it would be one thing if that was the only issue, but I honestly don't find a lot of the kingdoms that great either. Lake Kingdom is just dull, Ruined Kingdom and Cloud Kingdom are offensive. But the absolute worst is the Snow Kingdom. What the fuck Nintendo? This game is inspired by and pays homage to the N64 era of video games, more specifically platformers like Mario 64 but still .... when you have things like Banjo Kazooie's Christmas level or the Snowhead hub from Majora's Mask as some of the coolest wintery areas in video game history, and that's the era you're taking inspiration from, but you turnout this fucking boring ass level that has nothing in the outside part, and very little to do in the inside part ... just why? Why? WHY?

I might have to review this game, my god.

Mario 64, easily. I still remember the incredible controls, inspired level design, and fantastic gameplay elements. Few games made a bigger impression on me than this one. Odyssey is amazing, but not nearly as impactful as M64 in any way. I've barely tried Galaxy and never played Sunshine so I don't know about those. I will say that what little I have played of Galaxy most of all annoyed me because of the control scheme (I really don't like the Wii-mote at all). Looking forward to trying it with the Switch Pro controller soon!