By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2020 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020(w/o AC:NH):

1. Ring Fit Adventure - 924.388
  2. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 729.863
  3. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 472.849
  4. Smash Ultimate - 356.891
  5. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 349.010
  6. Minecraft - 342.220
  7. Splatoon 2 - 292.003
  8. Super Mario Party - 274.436
  9. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX - 259.513
  10. Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch - 250.845

TOTAL: 4.270.018

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2019:

1. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 2.744.658
  2. Smash Ultimate - 1.057.012
  3. Super Mario Maker 2 - 774.102
  4. New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe - 735.437
  5. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 587.829
  6. Minecraft - 579.998
  7. Super Mario Party - 464.208
  8. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age S - 456.426
  9. Luigi's Mansion 3 - 446.649
  10. Ring Fit Adventure - 443.118

TOTAL: 8.289.437

Even as I remove New Horizon from the Top 10 Switch titles in 2020, it's extremly likely that the Switch Top 10 will be up YoY. Ring Fit Adventure, Momotaro, Taiko no Tatsujin: RAP, Super Mario 3D Collection, Pikmin are the biggest fall titles, but we still are waiting for Bravely Default 2 and Rune Factory 5 news,  which could be supplimented by an announcement about a certain game where you hunt monsters.

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020 Q3:

1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 623.742
  2. Ring Fit Adventure - 346.423
  3. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 238.391(new)
  4. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 - 207.757(new)
  5. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 177.390
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 126.815
  7. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 79.004
  8. Splatoon 2 - 74.128
  9. Smash Ultimate - 72.174
  10. Super Mario Party - 61.921

TOTAL: 2.007.745

Nothing changed this week in terms of the Top 10 but Ring Fit continues to accelerate while New Horizon's lack of bundles has slowed down its sales compared to two weeks ago. Elsewhere I'm surprised at the longevity of Clubhouse Games - this game will surely do great during the holidays - it will probably hit 1 million sales eventually. Paper Mario has fallen behind eBaseball this week, so unless new DLC is announced it's looking likely that eBaseball will end up outselling it at some point. Pokemon seemingly needs new DLC because its sales are slowing down again. Square could have temporarily had a game in Top 10 but lack of stock for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles does hurt their chances. 

Elsewhere I'm certain that as long as retailers continue to order Human Fall Flat the game will end up with over 100K physical sales by the end of the year, I believe that would make it the first Western indie game on the Switch to sell so many copies physically in Japan(unless we count Snipperclips). It's still amazing that the game continues to dominate the eShop chart and now Japanese retailers are continuing to order more and more physical copies. If we don't count Mario + Rabbids and Minecraft which are abnormalities the Top Selling Western 3rd Party game on the Switch in Japan is FIFA 18 with 122.998 copies sold.

FIFA sales started with a measly 12K launch, Snipperclips with 3K, Human Fall Flat falls in the middle of these two results with a 5K launch but far more longevity than both, as FIFA is an annual franchise, while Snipperclips only received one major update after launching. Human Fall Flat continues to be updated as far as I'm aware, eventually I think it might even outsell Mario + Rabbids 213K sales according to Famitsu. 

Last edited by noshten - on 04 September 2020

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
PAOerfulone said:

Only if Monster Hunter 5 comes out next year.

Yeasss

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Depends how much they ship in the rest of the year, because I'm pretty sure if the stock was there they could reach 7 mil or more. But its not impossible that next year could reach similair numbers though. A new Switch model, a price cut or maybe Monster Hunter? Any one of those could carry the Switch to another great year and if more than one happen then next year could be another they-sell-as-much-as-they-can-ship situation.

I’m not sure for 7mil yet. That would play a huge factor. I think 6.5mil will happen, stock doesn’t seem to be 100% good yet or will I think it will be by dec

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I don't think so, mostly because I think Switch is going to break the annual record this year for Japan.  Demand for Switch is massively backed up in Japan right now.  I expect in 2 weeks Nintendo is going to ship a bunch of Switches to go with the Mario Collection, but a lot of those sales are going to go to people who want Animal Crossing or Ring Fit Adventure instead.

All these evergreens and spill over effect as well

as SM3DW+BF and a new MH, new Hardware, etc might push another 6mil+ year

Well I also only meant that it could hit 7 mil+ if the stock was there. I have a theory that Japan and the US might get a lot of stock in the rest of the year since the Switch is still selling out instantly in those regions unlike in Europe where things are settling down a bit, but 7 mil is ofc still a high bar. It could very well end up at 6,5 mil like you said and then I'm definitely onboard with next year beating that.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Farsala said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Top 30

NSW 22 (9 of which are third party)
PS4 8 (7 of which are third party)

Switch has 9/16 = 56% of third party games in the top 30 this week.  This is the first time in over 3 months where Switch has had fewer than 60% of the third party games in the top 30.  I suppose now I will have to say 55%+ going forward.  However, we can also look at the multiplatform releases this week and see that Switch is significantly higher in first week sales, and we've already been seeing that Switch has much better legs on multiplatform releases like eBaseball.  The argument for Japanese third party developers to ignore the Switch grows weaker every week.  The real question for games in the coming years should be "Switch exclusive or multiplat?"

3. [NSW] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition (Square Enix, 08/27/20) – 48,957 (New)
5. [PS4] Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition (Square Enix, 08/27/20) – 30,169 (New)

6. [NSW] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions (Bandai Namco, 08/27/20) – 16,678 (New)
8. [PS4] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions (Bandai Namco, 08/27/20) – 13,828 (New)

12. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020 (Konami, 07/09/20) – 7,310 (207,757)
19. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020 (Konami, 07/09/20) – 3,765 (174,299)

"Switch has much better legs on multiplatform releases like eBaseball"

You lost me here. How do those numbers prove the Switch has much better legs? The PS4 version launched terribly and than legged it decently. The Switch version has 5.8m+ more potential buyers than the PS4 version but only barely outlegs it.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9183360

PS4 and Switch version had practically the same sales at launch, with just a 3k difference between the two versions.

Over the following weeks however, the PS4 version dropped much faster than the Switch version, which as a result could extend it's lead from just 3k to now 33k within 7 weeks, and that lead is only growing larger over time.

tbone51 said:
Oh I got another... 2021>2020 for NSW in japan.

How y’all like that one

Well, since you said it, 2021 is now confirmed peak year of the Switch in Japan ;)

Bofferbrauer2 said:
tbone51 said:
Oh I got another... 2021>2020 for NSW in japan.

How y’all like that one

Well, since you said it, 2021 is now confirmed peak year of the Switch in Japan ;)

Biggest comeback ever, 2021 it peaks then it peaks yet again being up YoY in 2022 xD

Around the Network

If the supply situation is improved and some big system sellers land in 2021, I think it could indeed be Switch's peak year.

Still, it's by no means a done deal as the impact of AC + COVID this year will be tough to top.

curl-6 said:
If the supply situation is improved and some big system sellers land in 2021, I think it could indeed be Switch's peak year.

Still, it's by no means a done deal as the impact of AC + COVID this year will be tough to top.

Q1 was at 1.7mil for this year, if the first couple of weeks do better than last year and sm3dw+bf comes out W7 with a possible MH NSW for end of the quarter, then 2021 could be close to 2mil. Then consider Q2 was supply restraint pretty bad this year and a possible 2021 Apr-Jun could be significantly higher than 1mil it did previously 

tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:

Q1 was at 1.7mil for this year, if the first couple of weeks do better than last year and sm3dw+bf comes out W7 with a possible MH NSW for end of the quarter, then 2021 could be close to 2mil. Then consider Q2 was supply restraint pretty bad this year and a possible 2021 Apr-Jun could be significantly higher than 1mil it did previously 

I'm still skeptical of MH Switch actually being a thing, at least as far as being a proper entry and not a gimped spinoff, but we'll see.

curl-6 said:
tbone51 said:

I'm still skeptical of MH Switch actually being a thing, at least as far as being a proper entry and not a gimped spinoff, but we'll see.

It better be a proper entry!! The guy hinted it got something right today 

tbone51 said:
curl-6 said:

It better be a proper entry!! The guy hinted it got something right today 

yeah I saw that, plus he successfully called RE8 both in terms of content and when it would be revealed, so he clearly has some good sources.

I'm just worried Capcom will make it some dumb spinoff even though a proper entry would sell 10 times as much, since they always seem to go out of their way to screw Switch owners.