By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 35, 2020 (Aug 24 - Aug 30)

Thanks Agente,

it's very interesting to see different options on the subjects - some believe Nintendo should release Ring Fit Adventure 2 - personally I think additional DLC for a game like this could work a lot better. Keeping the game in the news, while allowing it to reach it's true potential now that the production problems are hopefully solved. This is a game made by the Wii Fit/Sports team, so I don't think they would be happy with just 10 million copies sold. The game has very high potential and attracts new audiences to the Switch, it's up to 3rd Parties to also release some fitness games like Fitness Boxing & now FiNC HOME FiT.

FiNC HOME FiT is a fitness game developed under the supervision of FiNC—the most popular app in the healthcare and fitness category in Japan—based on a variety of martial arts such as boxing, karate, Muay Thai, and Kung-Fu, by combining cardio exercises with high fat burning and training to balance the overall physical strength of the body.

Based on the concept “Proper Fitness at Home,” the game features a total of 60 training programs ideal for those who lack exercise due to recent refraining from going outdoors and prolonged remote working, those dieting, and those who cannot go to the gym.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/bored_of_ring_fit_adventure_finc_home_fit_could_be_your_next_fitness_challenge

Still, I believe Ring Fit's approach is the best since it provides both a story mode and exercises and is far better-gamified fitness for a mass audience. But these complimentary applications from Imagineer and FiNC are definitely also finding an audience. It's interesting that other 3rd parties don't look at gamifying different types of activities like learning or fitness the way Nintendo does. This is the type of disruptions they make which create new niches and expand the gaming audience. For example, Just Dance and Guitar Hero did the same a decade ago but seemingly a lot of publishers have given up on these types of projects. 

Around the Network
noshten said:

Thanks Agente,

it's very interesting to see different options on the subjects - some believe Nintendo should release Ring Fit Adventure 2 - personally I think additional DLC for a game like this could work a lot better. Keeping the game in the news, while allowing it to reach it's true potential now that the production problems are hopefully solved. This is a game made by the Wii Fit/Sports team, so I don't think they would be happy with just 10 million copies sold. The game has very high potential and attracts new audiences to the Switch, it's up to 3rd Parties to also release some fitness games like Fitness Boxing & now FiNC HOME FiT.

FiNC HOME FiT is a fitness game developed under the supervision of FiNC—the most popular app in the healthcare and fitness category in Japan—based on a variety of martial arts such as boxing, karate, Muay Thai, and Kung-Fu, by combining cardio exercises with high fat burning and training to balance the overall physical strength of the body.

Based on the concept “Proper Fitness at Home,” the game features a total of 60 training programs ideal for those who lack exercise due to recent refraining from going outdoors and prolonged remote working, those dieting, and those who cannot go to the gym.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/09/bored_of_ring_fit_adventure_finc_home_fit_could_be_your_next_fitness_challenge

Still, I believe Ring Fit's approach is the best since it provides both a story mode and exercises and is far better-gamified fitness for a mass audience. But these complimentary applications from Imagineer and FiNC are definitely also finding an audience. It's interesting that other 3rd parties don't look at gamifying different types of activities like learning or fitness the way Nintendo does. This is the type of disruptions they make which create new niches and expand the gaming audience. For example, Just Dance and Guitar Hero did the same a decade ago but seemingly a lot of publishers have given up on these types of projects. 

Nintendo Switch needs a Switch Sports with online, leagues, teams, etc. 

Fantastic result for them and bodes well for their new game.

Also seemingly you forgot to post South Korea and Taiwan update, he Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki debuts in 1st position in both countries. Also a decent debut for Jump Force on Switch and Captain Tsubasa on PS4 in Taiwan.

(Taiwan)
Media Create Sales Week 35, 2020 (24 Aug - 30 Aug)

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki (Clouded Leopard Entertainment) {2020.08.27}
02./00. [NSW] Jump Force: Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27}
03./00. [PS4] Captain Tsubasa: Rise of New Champions (Bandai Namco Games) {2020.08.27}
04./02. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
05./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.31}

Top 5

NSW - 3
PS4 - 2

(South Korea)
Media Create Sales Week 35, 2020 (24 Aug - 30 Aug)

01./00. [PS4] The Legend of Heroes: Hajimari no Kiseki (Clouded Leopard Entertainment) {2020.08.27}
02./01. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
03./02. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
04./03. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield (Pokemon Co.) {2019.11.15}
05./04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

More details about Nintendo's fall 3rd party line-up for Japan, this time it's Koei with the help of the Zelda team. 

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, adds to the growing list of 3rd Party titles this fall for Japan. We are also set to see what type of boost Breath of the Wild might provide to the Warriors formula. I've said it many times but Warriors games are stale and there needs to be a different approach from Koei if they intend to continue being successful. Still, I believe this game will be pretty huge overseas because of the collaboration on the Story elements with the Zelda team and good alignment with both Breath of the Wild and the sequel which could be released early next year. 

Hyrule Warriors games themselves haven't been massively popular in Japan with the Wii U version selling the most at 126K. Combined the Wii U, 3DS and Switch versions sold over 284K.

The biggest Koei Tecmo games in Japan for the last decade are One Piece: Pirate Warriors which they did for Bandai and sold over 828K, and Dynasty Warriors 7 which sold over 478K both released on the PS3 nearly a decade ago. Their best selling game in recent years was Dynasty Warriors 9 on the PS4 which sold only 176K. 

It will be interesting to track how this game is going to perform in Japan, I'm expecting it to approach DW7 levels during its lifetime if it's received well. But the bigger story will probably be in the West, this is where I think Koei will really make a lot of money with Age of Calamity. Overall it's a decent move for Nintendo as it also might be a satisfying bit of story content that would have otherwise not seen the light of day, while aligning closely with one of their Japanese partners. Right now every Japanese publisher who has mid-to-big games scheduled for the fall on the Switch is in good shape. Koei now has two Atelier 2 and Age of Calamity, so they are going to end up having a great year in all likelihood. I don't see how this game doesn't end up outselling Nioh 2 by the end of their fiscal year in March. 

Koei Tecmo doing work as usual! You will of course count those sales as Nintendo sales instead.

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Koei Tecmo doing work as usual! You will of course count those sales as Nintendo sales instead.

If it's published by Koei Tecmo in Japan, I will count it as their game. Similar to how I don't count Atlus as part of Sega when they self-publish in Japan. 

I mean it's pretty clear that outside of Nioh 2 they are fully on board the Switch train this year after revealing Atelier 2, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, and a late port for Romance of the Three Kingdoms 14. It's a good turn around for them from having absolutely zero games announced for the year outside of Fairy Tail a few months ago. This is what I was harping them on, and they've rectified it. 

Also some smaller games announced for 2020 by Spike Chunsoft, D3 Publishing and Taito(published by Square?). Interestingly Densha GO!! is a timed exclusive? or they added the Switch port at a later time. Shiren is an enhanced port of the 2015 game; while Maglam Lord from Felistella I'm not sure what to expect from will need to get more details. 

Interestingly Densha GO!! is doing great on Amazon. 

Switch sales for week 36 are out: https://www.famitsu.com/news/202009/10205495.html

Lol Splatoon 2 and MK 8 really have a shot to surpass Sword and Shield it seems

If original Monster Hunter Switch is really coming it will be the first time Pokemon will not have a game in the top 5 of a Nintendo handheld

400 euro for the series X damn thats aggresive

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

FF CC made no noise, I think it was expected.