By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best second console

I think the best is...

SNES 34 35.42%

PS2 45 46.88%

Xbox 360 17 17.71%

Total:96

I miss all the great SNES soundtracks , would not mind modern games using the same style more often again.

Around the Network

SNES. It’s amount of ageless classics that inspired, and still inspire, countless games today is unprecedented.

That's very hard for me to answer.

I love the SNES, it was my first console, and it has some of the best RPGs I ever played (Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy, Breath of Fire, Super Mario RPG, etc). I have a PS2 for around 10 years, and I'm still impressed with its library. A lot of great games, probably my favorite Sony console. I haven't played a lot of Xbox 360 games, but Gears of War, Halo, Forza and the third-party support are enough to make it a great improvement over the first Xbox.

Sorry, I can't vote.

No bad options in this poll.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

No.  A couple of guys talking at a retro gaming store is still part of the gaming community.  For that matter, retro gaming magazines and even retro gaming webistes are part of the gaming community.  People who game with their kids and/or friends are also part of the gaming community.  A person doesn't have to frequent a popular gaming website to be part of the gaming community.

You think "community" means internet, and only a certain portion of the internet at that.  People who frequent the popular gaming sites are still a small portion of the gaming community.  If you go by the internet forums, then the Gamecube and Dreamcast were almost as popular as the PS2.  In reality, the PS2 sold almost 3 times DC + GCN +XBox combined.  Most gamers aren't on the internet.

If your point is that the niche that frequents internet forums prefers the SNES, then I agree.  But my original point was that most actual gamers prefer the NES.  Internet forums represent a skewed perspective.

This isn't 1995, the gaming community is primarily an online entity and has been for a long time now as that is how people communicate globally in this day and age.

I've made it clear that's what I was referring to. Those who care enough about gaming to join the international discourse on them mostly pick the SNES as Nintendo's best system. 

You are arguing with me by talking about something different.  My whole point is that most people prefer the NES.  You are not even talking about that.  You are trying to argue your own definition of the "gaming community".

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

This isn't 1995, the gaming community is primarily an online entity and has been for a long time now as that is how people communicate globally in this day and age.

I've made it clear that's what I was referring to. Those who care enough about gaming to join the international discourse on them mostly pick the SNES as Nintendo's best system. 

You are arguing with me by talking about something different.  My whole point is that most people prefer the NES.  You are not even talking about that.  You are trying to argue your own definition of the "gaming community".

I mean, can you actually provide any evidence that "most people" prefer the NES? 

NES may have sold more decades ago, (though even then its not a 1:1 comparison as SNES had much stronger competition) but I'm talking about today. 

Last edited by curl-6 - on 06 September 2020

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

What is your "whole point" based on?

The_Liquid_Laser said:
 most people prefer the NES.  

No.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I mean, can you actually provide any evidence that "most people" prefer the NES? 

NES may have sold more decades ago, (though even then its not a 1:1 comparison as SNES had much stronger competition) but I'm talking about today. 

Here is some evidence that "most people" prefer the NES, particularly in North America.  The NES/Famicom only had a major presence in Japan and North America.  I wouldn't expect it to be preferred in other parts of the world.  But here is evidence of the NES' popularity in North America.

1) NES literally sold more than SNES.  I know you don't want to count this, but that is kind of like saying, "You have no evidence that I shot this guy" while you are holding a smoking gun.  Sales numbers are very weighty evidence.

NES SNES % change
Japan 19.4 17.2 -11%
North America 34 24 -29%
ROW  8.6 8.7 1%

The NES sold more than the SNES, but the biggest difference in sales was in North America.  That is where we should find the most people who prefer the NES, especially among those who are old enough to remember the NES when it was a current console.

2) Retro Gamers on Youtube.  I did some searches looking for the top 30 retro gaming channels (based on subscriptions) that are in North America.  Almost all of these channels cover retro gaming in general.  However some of the channels clearly favor one system based on content, and in some cases the Youtuber has just come out and said what their favorite system is.  Here are the results:

Channel subs (in thousands) slant/preferred system
1 Cinnemassacre 3340 NES
2 LGR 1410 PC
3 The 8-bit guy 1180 none
4 Summoning Salt 810 NES
5 Metal Jesus Rocks 785 none
6 Gaming Historian 777 none
7 Classic Game Room (80s comics) 437 Genesis
8 Nostalgia Nerd 357 PC
9 Nintendrew 314 N64
10 Happy Console Gamer 253 Genesis
11 Game Sack 250 none
12 Pat the NES Punk 234 NES
13 Continue? 209 none
14 SNESdrunk 182 SNES
15 My Life In Gaming 178 none
16 Nintendo Complete 141 NES
17 Retro Game Mechanics Explained 138 SNES
18 Classic Gaming Quarterly 131 none
19 Kelsey Lewin 124 Gameboy
20 Adam Koralik 111 Dreamcast
21 Nintendo Collecting 108 N64
22 darbian 101 none
23 John Hancock 94 Genesis
24 John Riggs 86 NES
25 nenriki86 83 NES
26 Retrorepairs 75 none
27 RinryGameGame 75 none
28 Retroware 54 none
29 Gaming History Source 54 none
30 NES Complex 50 NES

Here is the data for just NES and SNES channels

Channels Subs (in thousands)
NES 7 4744
SNES 2 320

Just based on retro content on Youtube, the NES is far more popular than the SNES, at least among North American gamers.  You might also argue that the SNES had tougher competition in North America.  However if you add the SNES and Genesis together, then that brings the # of channels up to 5 and the NES is still far ahead on total subscriptions.  The NES' popularity vs the SNES is not simply because some prefer the Genesis.  People authentically love the 8-bit era completely on its own.

3) Merchandise

Here is a popular site that sells retro gaming T-shirts.
https://pixelretro.com/pages/pixelretro-quality

Under their NES category they have 90 different shirts available.  Under their SNES category they have 40 shirts available.

Here is another site that sells retro gaming themed art.
https://artovision3d.com/

The art can be bought as shadowboxes that hang on the wall or it can be desktop art.  I sorted these by "best selling" and then counted how many were NES themed and how many were SNES themed.

Shadowbox art Desktop art
NES 17 15
SNES 9 10

In both cases art from NES games appears more often than art from SNES games in the "best selling" category.  What people actually buy more often is the NES themed art.

Ultimately, what I wanted to show is how extremely popular the NES is in North America.  People on the internet like to crap all over the NES.  Meanwhile, I know plenty of people in real life who love it.  Part of the disconnect is that most parts of the world did not experience the NES in its prime.  Those who didn't dismiss the NES quickly, while those who did have a deep appreciation for it.  When I'm saying people love the NES, I'm not just making this up.  There is a reason why the NES sold more than the SNES.  It was and still is a very popular system for North American gamers.

Very, very tough choice.

PS2 had more games period, and great classics like Dragon Quest VIII and Final Fantasy XII. I bought my last PS2 game in 2010 (Sakura Wars) almost ten years after the PS2 released and almost 4 years after the PS3 released.

SNES had classics like A Link to the Past and Super Metroid that were on a whole other level compared to their NES predecessors and are still largely unmatched today. It also had a lot of Square classics like FF6, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, and Secret/Trials of Mana.

The 360 was the only Xbox console I've ever bought to date. Xbox Live was fun for awhile, and it was the system getting all the RPGs until about 2008 or so.

Going to go with PS2, but it only slightly edges out the SNES.