Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best second console

I think the best is...

SNES 34 35.42%

PS2 45 46.88%

Xbox 360 17 17.71%

Total:96
curl-6 said:
Jpcc86 said:
Weird how all of them are the best console of their respective companies.

2/3 of them are also the highest selling by a wide margin. (3/4 if you add Sega too)

And while SNES may be the odd one out there, it's generally the popular choice as Nintendo's top console among fans.

Personally, while I do consider the 360 and SNES and MS and Ninty's best respectively, I like PS1 and PS3 more than PS2.

The SNES is probably the choice among the internet (or maybe N64).  But I've known several people who just owned an NES and then stopped gaming after that, or maybe came back with the Wii.  In North America, the NES is the most loved console by average people, but you tend not to find them on the internet.

Around the Network

These are all great - but I have to go with SNES. My favorite console & the golden age of 2D gaming for me. Just so many gems - Mario RPG, Super Mario World, Donkey Kong Country 1 & 2, Yoshi's Island, Secret of Mana, Zelda Link to the Past. Just love the 16 bit sprite look. Still arguably the best controller.

360 was definitely the peak of Xbox tho, and PS2 is the one Sony console I'd really consider going back and buying. 

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

For me, PS2 easily. SNES is a good contender, but I was team SEGA that gen.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

2/3 of them are also the highest selling by a wide margin. (3/4 if you add Sega too)

And while SNES may be the odd one out there, it's generally the popular choice as Nintendo's top console among fans.

Personally, while I do consider the 360 and SNES and MS and Ninty's best respectively, I like PS1 and PS3 more than PS2.

The SNES is probably the choice among the internet (or maybe N64).  But I've known several people who just owned an NES and then stopped gaming after that, or maybe came back with the Wii.  In North America, the NES is the most loved console by average people, but you tend not to find them on the internet.

It's 2020; average people are on the internet, almost everybody is.

Great choices.  People will lament the omission of the Sega Genesis, but that was technically Sega's third console... SG1000, Master System, then Genesis.  So your choices for this poll are good.  I also believe the answer to this question requires one other aspect.... the second console's actual heyday and it's future influence.

That's why I choose the Xbox 360. 

The SNES was the perfect evolution of the NES.  It was the 2D hardware that really made the 16 bit era shine. 

The PS2 was the perfect evolution of the PS1... a vast library of games, 2D and 3D, a dominant force in the industry. 

The Xbox 360 though.... it is the forefather of modern gaming.  If you take current sensibilities into account, not nostalgia or the pinnacle of certain eras.... then the Xbox 360 really shines in this aspect.  It was a huge leap in performance, ushered in HD gaming, ushered online gaming as a service, and also got ports and remasters of tons of games that came on systems before.  It was a drastic market changer for Microsoft in the gaming space, it was the default console for most development of the era, it's online capabilities unmatched, it's library extensive...  I got one shortly after launch and the other thing that goes slightly overlooked is how this console EVOLVED.  It was like owning a different console completely by the end of it's lifespan.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
PS2. The most dominant console ever. An overwhelming library of great games.

Dominant as far as market share or actually outselling the competition or just having the best games? 🤔

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Average people don't actually spend a lot of time on the internet except for maybe social media sites like Twitter.  They don't go on gaming forums (like this one, for example).

d21lewis said:
Signalstar said:
PS2. The most dominant console ever. An overwhelming library of great games.

Dominant as far as market share or actually outselling the competition or just having the best games? 🤔

Yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

Average people don't actually spend a lot of time on the internet except for maybe social media sites like Twitter.  They don't go on gaming forums (like this one, for example).

That's the thing though, among the actual gaming community, SNES seems the more popular choice from what I've seen in just about every poll across numerous sites. Though I would not be surprised if by the end of it's life Switch is able to take the throne in this regard.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

That's the thing though, among the actual gaming community, SNES seems the more popular choice from what I've seen in just about every poll across numerous sites. Though I would not be surprised if by the end of it's life Switch is able to take the throne in this regard.

It depends on how you define "the gaming community".  I said that average people aren't on internet gaming sites, and you replied by referencing internet gaming sites.  Gaming sites do not represent the gaming community as a whole.  Average gamers do not go to gaming sites, especially older gamers who would have played the NES in its prime.