By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best second console

I think the best is...

SNES 34 35.42%

PS2 45 46.88%

Xbox 360 17 17.71%

Total:96

Love all three of them, but I chose SNES. Just so many great games.

Around the Network

SNES is regarded as one of the best systems ever made let alone best 2nd console.

SNES without a daubt. It also offered the best game line up too.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 04 September 2020

The one with Zelda always wins

melbye said:
The one with Zelda always wins

I'll hold you to that if curl makes a "Best Console Outside the Big Four" with 3DO, Philiip's CD-i and Ouya.

Signature goes here!

For me, it's gotta be the SNES. From Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island to the Donkey Kong Country trilogy, from A Link to the Past to Demon's Crest, from Super Mario RPG to Contra III, it's just full to the brim with amazing games that have aged like fine wine. Beautiful 16-bit pixel art, no load times, a , reliable hardware, (mine still works 26 years after I got it) a perfect controller, it really is the full package and the greatest console of all time in my book.

360 is great too; also packed to the rafters with quality games, (in fact my collection for it is my second biggest of any system) with a comfortable controller, impressive power for its time, and the better version of most of its generation's multiplatform titles. It doesn't have quite as many diamond-class classics as the SNES, and it does lose a few marks for the reliability issues of the early models, but it's still my #3 top system ever.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

I had a fat PS2, so could play PS1 games as well.. and there were just so many good rpgs to play on it.
Its what started my love for jrpgs and rpgs in general.

All 3 of them are great, however.

All PS2s, both regular and slims (and PS3s!), can play PS1 games straight from their black-foiled CDs.

This is a pretty tough choice, not least of all because of the differences in generations, which meant a vast difference in capabilities. As I've said elsewhere, the PS1 is my favorite console, so including the PS2's B/C seems like cheating (or, at least, not in line with the spirit of the question). I've also stated that I very strongly preferred the original Xbox to the XB360 (can't wait for this!), so that's out.

I picked the PS2 just because I logged far more hours on it than the SNES. And many more of these playtime hours were with friends (whether via a multi-tap or online). Many hours were spent playing Socoms, Champions of Norraths, EQOA, Timesplitters, MGSs, Ico/Nico, and GoWs. The only game I have on the SNES that is 3 player co-op is Secret of Mana (at least that I can recall).

All of that said, I think the SNES had a better library than the PS2 (sans the PS1). For me, there's nothing on the PS2 that approaches Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid, Illusion of Gaia, Mega Man X, or Super Metroid. I guess I'd sum it up as the PS2 has a significantly larger body of truly great games (it's the system for which I've purchased the most games), but the SNES has far more masterpieces.

*As a side thought, the XB360 was able to change fairly radically over it's lifespan due to firmware updates (e.g. interface), so, how much does that skew the results for those who picked the XB360? In terms of console features, this comparison is already a little like apples to tomatoes to grapes. Not a criticism of the thread/poll, just interesting to think about how our conceptualization/characterization of a console's identity might vary along with such shifting capabilities and where someone's final estimation of it ends.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

I'll say the Xbox 360 because it was the console that really got me into gaming, has some of my favorite games of all time like Halo 3/Reach, Gears of War 3, and games like Dark Souls or late ports like Banjo Kazooie still are unironically some of my favorite console experiences. Also, a lot of games that are now some of my favorites were originally exclusive to 360 and remained so for that entire generation, like Dead Rising 1 and Tales of Vesperia (outside of Japan).

Hard choice SNES has some of my favourite games of all time on there. But the vast library and enjoyment I got with the PS2 I don't think could be topped apart from maybe the PS1.....

I'm edging on SNES since it has the most ridiculously good games that are still as good as the day they came out. I still play all the DK's, LoZ:ALttP and Super Mario's (3 and World) on there from time to time. Plus Contra and so many other classics.

PS2. The most dominant console ever. An overwhelming library of great games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Jpcc86 said:
Weird how all of them are the best console of their respective companies.

2/3 of them are also the highest selling by a wide margin. (3/4 if you add Sega too)

And while SNES may be the odd one out there, it's generally the popular choice as Nintendo's top console among fans.

Personally, while I do consider the 360 and SNES and MS and Ninty's best respectively, I like PS1 and PS3 more than PS2.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 04 September 2020