By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best second console

I think the best is...

SNES 34 35.42%

PS2 45 46.88%

Xbox 360 17 17.71%

Total:96

All 3 are amazing consoles, for me personally it's the SNES but I get why someone would pick the PS2 or Xbox 360. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game and 3 of my top 5 favorite games are on the SNES.

Around the Network

I had a fat PS2, so could play PS1 games as well.. and there were just so many good rpgs to play on it.
Its what started my love for jrpgs and rpgs in general.

All 3 of them are great, however.

rapsuperstar31 said:
All 3 are amazing consoles, for me personally it's the SNES but I get why someone would pick the PS2 or Xbox 360. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game and 3 of my top 5 favorite games are on the SNES.

PS1 backcompat ment you could play Chrono Trigger on the PS1 too, it just loaded slower (but looked & sounded slightly better, and had extra cutscenes). Plus there was also Crono Cross (which was fantastic, and on level with chrono trigger imo).

Oof, SNES or PS2?
That should be illegal.

Ahh so we keep this going.
This one is a lot closer, but I think I'm going to have to give it to the PS2 even if the SNES was a lot more impressive for its time.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

shikamaru317 said:
Leynos said:

Why no Genesis? Fine by this skewed poll. SNES. Probably the greatest console of all time. PS2 had the most games but a majority of them are either mediocre or shovelware and many of the so-called good ones are aging badly. SNES is ageless.

SNES is Elizebath Taylor. PS2 is a Kardashian.

Technically, Genesis is Sega's 3rd console. They released the SG-1000 first, followed by the Master System, then Mega Drive/Genesis.

I definitely think Sega wins best 3rd console, hands-down. Genesis was a big success for Sega, they gained a ton of marketshare against Nintendo compared to Master System vs NES. And the 3rd consoles for the other 3 are all kind of underwhelming, N64, PS3, and Xbox One.

Technically, the SNES is Nintendo’s third console, since they released the ColorTV series of home consoles quite a few years prior to the NES (Released on June 1,1977 and discontinued in 1983 to make ways to its cartridge based successor, the NES.).

Last edited by Hynad - on 03 September 2020

Around the Network

The right answer is the PS2

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

^^^ *eye rolls* ^^^

My right answer is the SNES.

While the PS2 is certainly no slouch, the number of games on the SNES that I still play yearly to this day and still have nearly as much fun as when I played them for the first time is unmatched compared to the PS2’s library.

Last edited by Hynad - on 08 September 2020

Hynad said:
shikamaru317 said:

Technically, Genesis is Sega's 3rd console. They released the SG-1000 first, followed by the Master System, then Mega Drive/Genesis.

I definitely think Sega wins best 3rd console, hands-down. Genesis was a big success for Sega, they gained a ton of marketshare against Nintendo compared to Master System vs NES. And the 3rd consoles for the other 3 are all kind of underwhelming, N64, PS3, and Xbox One.

Technically, the SNES is Nintendo’s third console, since they released the ColorTV series of home consoles quite a few years prior to the NES (Released on June 1,1977 and discontinued in 1983 to make ways to its cartridge based successor, the NES.).

Technically 360 is MS 3rd console and maybe Sony's third.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Hynad said:

MSX was home computer, not console.

HoloDust said:
Leynos said:

MSX was home computer, not console.

It played cartridge games. It was a console. A lot of consoles back then called themselves a computer. Besides all consoles are really. Famicom had some computer abilities. Either way, MSX was a home gaming system. It was MS first.

Last edited by Leynos - on 03 September 2020

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!