Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best second console

I think the best is...

SNES 34 35.42%

PS2 45 46.88%

Xbox 360 17 17.71%

Total:96
The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

That's the thing though, among the actual gaming community, SNES seems the more popular choice from what I've seen in just about every poll across numerous sites. Though I would not be surprised if by the end of it's life Switch is able to take the throne in this regard.

It depends on how you define "the gaming community".  I said that average people aren't on internet gaming sites, and you replied by referencing internet gaming sites.  Gaming sites do not represent the gaming community as a whole.  Average gamers do not go to gaming sites, especially older gamers who would have played the NES in its prime.

The people you're describing aren't really a part of the "community", since they're not really participating in it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

It depends on how you define "the gaming community".  I said that average people aren't on internet gaming sites, and you replied by referencing internet gaming sites.  Gaming sites do not represent the gaming community as a whole.  Average gamers do not go to gaming sites, especially older gamers who would have played the NES in its prime.

The people you're describing aren't really a part of the "community", since they're not really participating in it.

You participate in the "gaming community" by gaming.  You don't have to frequent gaming websites to be in "gaming community".  Just like any person who is openly gay is part of the gay community.  They don't have to frequent gay bars to be considered part of the gay community.  You don't have to frequently visit X specific place to be part of the community.  

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

You participate in the "gaming community" by gaming.  You don't have to frequent gaming websites to be in "gaming community".  Just like any person who is openly gay is part of the gay community.  They don't have to frequent gay bars to be considered part of the gay community.  You don't have to frequently visit X specific place to be part of the community.  

The two aren't analogous, gaming is just a hobby. The people who are passionate about his hobby participate in its thriving online community, and within that community the SNES tends to poll higher than the NES.

curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The two aren't analogous, gaming is just a hobby. The people who are passionate about his hobby participate in its thriving online community, and within that community the SNES tends to poll higher than the NES.

No, a person can be a gamer and still never frequent internet gaming sites.  The internet is not what makes someone a gamer.  Gaming is what makes someone a gamer.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

No, a person can be a gamer and still never frequent internet gaming sites.  The internet is not what makes someone a gamer.  Gaming is what makes someone a gamer.

I never said anything about being a "gamer".

But "community" is more than just being a gamer, it's participating in the larger global discourse among fellow gamers, and in this day and age that is done online. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

But "community" is more than just being a gamer, it's participating in the larger global discourse among fellow gamers, and in this day and age that is done online. 

No.  A couple of guys talking at a retro gaming store is still part of the gaming community.  For that matter, retro gaming magazines and even retro gaming webistes are part of the gaming community.  People who game with their kids and/or friends are also part of the gaming community.  A person doesn't have to frequent a popular gaming website to be part of the gaming community.

You think "community" means internet, and only a certain portion of the internet at that.  People who frequent the popular gaming sites are still a small portion of the gaming community.  If you go by the internet forums, then the Gamecube and Dreamcast were almost as popular as the PS2.  In reality, the PS2 sold almost 3 times DC + GCN +XBox combined.  Most gamers aren't on the internet.

If your point is that the niche that frequents internet forums prefers the SNES, then I agree.  But my original point was that most actual gamers prefer the NES.  Internet forums represent a skewed perspective.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
curl-6 said:

No.  A couple of guys talking at a retro gaming store is still part of the gaming community.  For that matter, retro gaming magazines and even retro gaming webistes are part of the gaming community.  People who game with their kids and/or friends are also part of the gaming community.  A person doesn't have to frequent a popular gaming website to be part of the gaming community.

You think "community" means internet, and only a certain portion of the internet at that.  People who frequent the popular gaming sites are still a small portion of the gaming community.  If you go by the internet forums, then the Gamecube and Dreamcast were almost as popular as the PS2.  In reality, the PS2 sold almost 3 times DC + GCN +XBox combined.  Most gamers aren't on the internet.

If your point is that the niche that frequents internet forums prefers the SNES, then I agree.  But my original point was that most actual gamers prefer the NES.  Internet forums represent a skewed perspective.

This isn't 1995, the gaming community is primarily an online entity and has been for a long time now as that is how people communicate globally in this day and age.

I've made it clear that's what I was referring to. Those who care enough about gaming to join the international discourse on them mostly pick the SNES as Nintendo's best system. 

It's the Xbox 360 and it's not even close.

It has the best games.

FragileSurface said:
It's the Xbox 360 and it's not even close.

It has the best games.

360 is my fave console from the 7th gen but not one game on that system is even half as good as Crono Trigger, FF6, SMW, or SM. Sorry. Before anyone says "gears" GOW has aged badly within its own genre.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

My personal favorite is the PS2, there's a lot of games for that console that I loved and I have fond memories of.