By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku's Ethan Gach: Maybe Just Delay Next Gen Already

Should Next Gen be delayed until 2021

Yes 11 21.57%

No 33 64.71%

I just want to click a button 7 13.73%

Total:51

Yes, there is not much at release which really screams "damn, I need a new console for this" but delaying the consoles doesn't change anything. Just release them this year and those who think the consoles are only worth to buy end of 2021 can buy it 2021. What does it matter? Even with not many unique experiences they will sell good the first half year.

There are also many who still own as example the standard XBO and those will experience a huge jump even for cross gen titles. I mean, these people often play with below 30fps and 900p (or even lower). I'm sure there are some of them who will buy a new XSX or PS5 at release. That argument that he doesn't even have a 4k TV now is just useless. 

Around the Network

I just hope they release a ps5 demo to go with the launch

Honestly, this year sucks so hard that I just want something to look forward to tide me over through this pandemic so I don't go completely nuts. It doesn't have to be earth-shattering. I'm just tired of EVERYTHING getting delayed or cancelled. New consoles are something. And there are enough games for the next gen systems on my radar that I'm sufficiently interested.

Wow, that's one of the most privileged trash I've read. "Oh no, I don't feel excited enough about a trivial hardware launch!"

There are much more important things to worry about right now in 2020. For example the RTX 3090 reveal on Monday! Now that's some exciting shit!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Well it is because of competition they release this year ^^'. If their was no Sony/MS PS5 or XSX would have released later.

It is hard to get excited for the new generation, but so far for PS5 we have R&C that looks the most interesting but so far it is all about silly gimmicks,

- The visuals look amazing!! (Since PS3 they all did look amazing)
- Dude no loading times!!! (Makes me old but I remember when Jax on PS2 released and the biggest feature reviewers mentioned how their are no loading times!) It feels so overblown especially we only had a few Ps4 games that have/had loading times issues like bloodborne (and was patched).
- I really hope RC is not rushed because the PS4 was painfull for the fans.

For XSX I am most excited about Flying simulator, watching people play it makes me jelly, also it feels like a real step up in gaming. I was amazed to watch a streamer be surprised that so many people were flying in the south of the USA....only to find out they all turned on 'live weather' and were checking out the Hurricane approaching the USA...

Around the Network

The new Ratchet and Clank and Gran Turismo games will keep me good for about 2/3 months oh and there's Spiderman.  I'm not interested in COD but I'd be a fool to not see that it's a huge crowd puller.  Plus I'm sure the internet is going to light up when the Gurilla games second Studio shows the new Socom game.

I'd say Sony is ready to kick off Next Gen.

Xbox on the other hand has shown us very little.  A half baked halo game that needs far more time in the oven (which was running on a PC anyway), and.....well...erm....The Medium.

I don't think Microsoft are ready but they are in a really bad position.  Just look on the Chartz front page, look at those hardware weekly figures.  This is not a company that can allow Sony to go uncontested.  Even if both PS5 and XSX launched in November, AND Halo was ready, AND it looked good; PlayStation is probably still going to win as the Xbox brand is in such a low point, while PlayStation is held in high regard.

But now they don't have Halo, they have yet to show any sort of graphical showcase title, AND the brand is at a low point.  Add a year delay to that and the sales gap is going to hit PS2 levels.  They have to launch this holiday and just pray that their hardcore fanbase and carry them through.

Sony want to make money by selling art, Nintendo want to make money by selling fun, Microsoft want to make money.

only777 said:

The new Ratchet and Clank and Gran Turismo games will keep me good for about 2/3 months oh and there's Spiderman.  I'm not interested in COD but I'd be a fool to not see that it's a huge crowd puller.  Plus I'm sure the internet is going to light up when the Gurilla games second Studio shows the new Socom game.

I'd say Sony is ready to kick off Next Gen.

Xbox on the other hand has shown us very little.  A half baked halo game that needs far more time in the oven (which was running on a PC anyway), and.....well...erm....The Medium.

I don't think Microsoft are ready but they are in a really bad position.  Just look on the Chartz front page, look at those hardware weekly figures.  This is not a company that can allow Sony to go uncontested.  Even if both PS5 and XSX launched in November, AND Halo was ready, AND it looked good; PlayStation is probably still going to win as the Xbox brand is in such a low point, while PlayStation is held in high regard.

But now they don't have Halo, they have yet to show any sort of graphical showcase title, AND the brand is at a low point.  Add a year delay to that and the sales gap is going to hit PS2 levels.  They have to launch this holiday and just pray that their hardcore fanbase and carry them through.

Gran Turismo 7 doesn't have a release date doubt it will be releassed anytime soon.  Its definitely not going to be released during the launch window either.  Even though it hasn't been annouced yet I wouldn't be surprised if Forza Horizon 5 will get released before Gran Turismo 7 and Forza Motorsports.

I'd be happy delaying next-gen for quite a few more years tbh. It still feels like yesterday that the PS4 and Xbox One were both released, and even though it's been 7 years, those two systems still seem pretty new to me. Heck, I've only managed to pick up 4 PS4 games, and 0 Xbox One games.

Nothing from next gen really grabs me. I’m probably going to wait until PS5 has Japanese games on if before I dive in, and I’m really more interested in finding out about Nintendo’s next generation system. I have plenty to play on Switch.

It feels like next gen is trying to be forced out too early. Right now is not the time to be expecting people to get excited for spending hundreds of dollars on a shiny new piece of plastic to play games on.