By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku's Ethan Gach: Maybe Just Delay Next Gen Already

Should Next Gen be delayed until 2021

Yes 11 21.57%

No 33 64.71%

I just want to click a button 7 13.73%

Total:51

How about some red meat to put on the fire?  I've chosen a few fine cutlets to get you started with.

https://kotaku.com/maybe-just-delay-next-gen-already-1844859500

"My default programming during these times tells me to “keep calm and carry on” but every time I remember that two of the biggest video game companies are in a months-long marketing duel to be the place where the most people play Call of Duty for the 16th year in a row, the programming crashes. 2020 feels like a whole lot of things, but the start of a new cycle of more powerful gaming hardware is not one of them."

"For starters, less than three months out, neither Microsoft nor Sony has really demonstrated why we should all be getting excited about shelling out something like two week’s worth of minimum wages for a new plastic brick to sit beside our TVs. Better load times? More detailed graphics?"

"I see incremental improvements in the dozens of trailers both companies have shared, but nothing that feels striking or completely new. The Switch launch didn’t do that either, but it also had Breath of the Wild, and I still don’t see a Breath of the Wild."

What are your thoughts about this surreal time for a Next Gen Launch?

Around the Network
super_etecoon said:

How about some read meat to put on the fire?  I've chosen a few fine cutlets to get you started with.

https://kotaku.com/maybe-just-delay-next-gen-already-1844859500

"My default programming during these times tells me to “keep calm and carry on” but every time I remember that two of the biggest video game companies are in a months-long marketing duel to be the place where the most people play Call of Duty for the 16th year in a row, the programming crashes. 2020 feels like a whole lot of things, but the start of a new cycle of more powerful gaming hardware is not one of them."

"For starters, less than three months out, neither Microsoft nor Sony has really demonstrated why we should all be getting excited about shelling out something like two week’s worth of minimum wages for a new plastic brick to sit beside our TVs. Better load times? More detailed graphics?"

"I see incremental improvements in the dozens of trailers both companies have shared, but nothing that feels striking or completely new. The Switch launch didn’t do that either, but it also had Breath of the Wild, and I still don’t see a Breath of the Wild."

What are your thoughts about this surreal time for a Next Gen Launch?

I don't really think the last gen launch was that amazing either. And even the gen before wasn't really amazing IMO. What were the flagship games last time around? Like... Ryse, Knack, and Infamous SS? This is to me kind of par for the course for new systems.

Yeah, I just dont feel the excitement. That might be because we dont know the prices or release dates yet though. The launch games also just seems like your regular middle of the road launch games. I dont know. Maybe when we get some more information.

Well 2020 was not a great year overall. I understand if its hard to be hyped when you check the news all you hear is bad things happening. And those bad things are not what you consider as normal.

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Im not that excited for the new gen. It seems to me its all about games geing more beautiful and with ray tracing and super fast ssd. But the thing is, games are already beautiful today as tlou2 shows. It seems all we needed was a fast ssd ps4/xbox version and we would be good to go for a few more years.
I will probably get a xbox/ps5 at launch but I will definitely be playing this gen games for at least 1/2 years more, only difference will be better performance.

Around the Network

Not haveing e3 hurt it abit..... that said I dont think it should be delayed just because of that.

I wouldn't mind it myself. It just feels very off. This should be a really exciting time for gamers and for some it still is, but personally I am not really excited for what we currently know. Now, on the flipside keep in mind we didn't really know much about the Nintendo Switch until about 2 months before release as well so maybe there's much more we need to know and that may very well be the case.

Halo's delay really isn't helping the mood overall. Like...what am I supposed to be excited about for Xbox? Overall it has been a strange year for the Big 3 in general. Can't wait to get out of 2020.

BraLoD said:
I love how he is complaying about two weeks of minimum wage for them while they are going to be over half a year of minimum wage around here.

For reals?  

More like 2 days worth of wages for me... But I digress.

But yeah, with Halo Infinite pushed back, focus on remakes/remasters/re-releases/backwards compat there is very little that gets me excited on the games front.
Don't get me wrong, I am definitely keen to give Knack a whirl, looks the goods.

It's just a more evolutionary step over the 8th gen consoles on the games front at-least initially, the hardware has me excited, Ray Tracing and 3D positional Audio are my big-ticket items, but it will take a few years for those technologies to really come into their own anyway.

Will still be entering the next-gen race on day 1 of course.

In saying that, the 8th gen and 7th gen launches didn't get me moist either...

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Nah. Value is on the eye of the beholder. If he doesn't think that price that hasn't been revealed yet isn't worth it, that's fine, he can wait till next year. Don't force the rest of us to wait who want to get a hold of the next gen consoles this holiday. There will be plenty of games to play, specially with BC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850