By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kotaku's Ethan Gach: Maybe Just Delay Next Gen Already

Should Next Gen be delayed until 2021

Yes 11 21.57%

No 33 64.71%

I just want to click a button 7 13.73%

Total:51

Unless they have an issue supplying functioning hardware or software, neither should delay the launch. Launch periods are always a rough transition. Might as well push through the growing pains in an otherwise miserable year so they can hit their stride once the world gets back on its feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network

"I see incremental improvements in the dozens of trailers both companies have shared, but nothing that feels striking or completely new. The Switch launch didn’t do that either, but it also had Breath of the Wild, and I still don’t see a Breath of the Wild."

Ratchet's near instant world switching feels pretty striking and new to me.

With Halo delayed I wouldn't object if MS held back XSX's launch until they were better prepared, but I think Sony has enough ready at launch or shortly after to justify their launch to early adopters. Regardless, I don't think either company is willing to miss out on a holiday launch if they can help it, whatever the size of the library.

I wouldnt really mind if next gen came out in the first half of 2021 but I know its not gonna happen

No price reveal yet is bad, also no major new JRPG for me is bad. Thus I wait.

All four PlayStation consoles have had weak lineups.

PS5 launch seems to be a little bit better.

But also Botw was a cross gen title.

Around the Network

Outside of Nintendo no console maker has launched with a new generation defining game. Now delaying is not going to help the either. Economists are expecting for everyone to really feel the economic impact of the pandemic next year. They should just release and hope for the best.

I feel nothing for next-gen. I rather keep the PS4 gen around another year.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

I'm ready for next-gen. I just bought an OLED (LG CX). FF7R, one of the best looking games on PS4 in my opinion, had me wondering multiple times just how amazing it would look on PS5. The Last of Us 2 made me wonder as well what Naughty Dog would be able to do with hardware way more powerful than my base PS4. I'm waiting for confirmation that there will be a 120 fps mode for Doom: Eternal's next-gen console version (which owners get for free) so my first experience with 120 fps can come from one of my favorite shooters. I've never played Demon's Souls, it's going to look much better on PS5 than it would on PS4, it's getting a 60 fps mode, and it's looking like a launch-window game. For me, it's a must-play and a console-seller on its own. I could go on!

Sony, if you're reading this, do something new with The Legend of Dragoon. You will make me a happy man. Thanks.

Problem is a delay at this point can be just as damaging to either companies' position it's also not as simple as just deciding we'll just release next year instead as their current platforms are well on their way out at this point and would be scraping by at this time next year leading to a below par FY in fact it would hurt two FY with this one and the next they're in a volatile situation tbh.

Absolutely not.

The line ups will be strong, it just won't be very exclusive but the same happened last gen. 2014 big 3rd party titles were all cross gen (Titanfall, Dragon Age, Far Cry, Destiny,Metal Gear Solid V etc). It wasn't until a year in we received the first big 3rd party AAA exclusive in the form of AC Unity. First party wise the year was baron for both Playstation and Xbox.

Openning years are rarely great, even the Switch only really had Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 as actual big Switch exclusives in 2017.

The biggest problem with this coming gen is the lack of clear vision, but thats simply because we haven't seen the blow out event. In the past that was E3, so far we've only seen the equivalent of PS4's february event. In the next 2 weeks we're likely going to have a very clear picture of what next gen looks like in terms of games library.

2021 already looks significantly better for Xbox/Playstation then 2014. And if anyone has seen the DF analysis of Avengers, its clear that for the majority of console owners who have base systems and not the mid gen updates, cross gen games on PS5/Series X are going to represent a significant leap in the quality of experience.