By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A Message To Our Xbox Community...

Yea this was very much needed. This site having Xbox fans is a positive thing as it allows more diversity in opinions and discussion. Stadia fans on the other hand...

Spoiler!
jk

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
I think one of the things which usually create a lot of tension and bad blood is click bait articles being used to create threads / topics. Similar to Gaf and Era I think it would be good if thread topics can be vetted based on sources of the article / info linked.

Once vetted, if more questions need to be asked to the OP they can or the new thread can be denied and a reason given to the OP.

The best way to create a safe space is vetting the topics as they often encourage toxic behaviours.

Sometimes rewording /phrasing can go a long way and mods can help do this before publishing a new topic.

Imaginedvl said:

I welcome this. Thank you CGI and team, hopefully, this will make a difference.

I know I may not be as active as others, but there is one thing that you may want to look at: do not let people who clearly want to downplay or make sure they have the first word create threads about Xbox news.

You can see this happening a lot and it always becomes a shit show and we have to rely on the Xbox empire thread to talk about whatever topic their introduced (but with their own wordings to make sure it starts just bad). Please be also mindful of that, if someone who clearly does not like Xbox is creating a thread about it (while pretending this is something they are interested in), this is usually not ending well and the purpose of it is clear from the start.

I know this is tricky, but really, some of it is pretty obvious from the start.

These ideas touch too much on pre-emptive moderation, which is not something I can support.  I am an XB-first gamer (I do probably 60% of my gaming on XB, 30% on PS, 10% on Ninty), and I'd like the community to be more friendly to XB content.  But, mods saying yes or no to the existence of threads based on who starts them or their opinion of the source material (which often doesn't exist) is much too heavy handed, IMO.  That kind of control is too big of a price to pay to get rid of some (really not that bad, relative to most of the internet) trolling.   

Also, that sounds like a shitload of work for mods, which makes it less likely to be evenly applied (because there won't always be someone ready to research the source material or the history of the user).  That ain't good.  

Personally, I like the spirit of this new effort, and I hope it is successful.  But, as always, I prefer that the mods err on the side of being too lenient rather than too strict.  

d21lewis said:
Thank you.
For whatever reason, I've grown to love the Xbox brand and it kinda sucks having the console constantly being attacked. I mean constructive criticism is a good thing but when you have those that refuse to see any good, it's a little disheartening.

I often find myself attacking Sony and n Nintendo (two brands I absolutely love) in retaliation. We're all just gamers and the hobby should be fun. Thanks for doing what you can to keep it that way.

It's a revolving door I feel I get stuck in too. Shots are always being fired. I think the best thing we can all do to try to bridge the gaps between the fandoms, is to continue to focus on shitting all over Stadia. This noble purpose born from ignominy is the most the platform could ever hope to achieve, and more than it deserves.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Immersiveunreality said:
CGI-Quality said:

I've thought about this and I'm sure others have been in the same boat.

Yeah i think those two communities tend to be far more aggressive and defensive towards those that have criticism.(from my own experience in this place ofcourse)

Again, I think it comes down to the number of fans of each company. More fans means more people who will react to criticism.

JWeinCom said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Yeah i think those two communities tend to be far more aggressive and defensive towards those that have criticism.(from my own experience in this place ofcourse)

Again, I think it comes down to the number of fans of each company. More fans means more people who will react to criticism.

That's one of the factors yes.

Around the Network
Spade said:
Props to this, Versus the permabanned would have upvoted this I'm sure ;) ! Hoping the new gen brings in some new Xbox users, getting real sick of Noble, Ice, and Ryuu. jk.

Well I'm not exactly what you might call a new Xbox user, but I haven't found much use for my Xbox One in several years now. However, I have now officially decided to hold off on the PlayStation 5 for a year to purchase a Series X here in 2020, SOOO...you will probably be seeing me around the Microsoft forum more often starting later this year. So there's somebody anyway, if you can stand me!

Anyone interested in discussing games like The Medium or Call of the Sea will find a fellow traveler in me, seriously. And I'm glad to hear those sorts of discussions should be safer to have in the future.

I have one request to the article writers ton this website oo to help with this issue. Whenever you are writing something related to both consoles how about instead of posting a thumbnail photo of Sony or Playstation how about you use a photo of whatever is being discussed? I've seen multiple articles that are related to both consoles and the picture is usually either the PS4 logo which seems biased. That is all. Thanks!

I support this, but that is something that should be enforced for all 3 consoles and PC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
I support this, but that is something that should be enforced for all 3 consoles and PC.

The thing is that because of the respective fanbases, it's a bit less necessary to focus on the other systems. Both Nintendo and Sony have active users who are fairly vigilant in reporting questionable posts, and in shooting down trolling posts or threads which makes most users less likely to make them (although it makes some users more likely to troll). Microsoft has less of those users, so the mods have to pick up some of the slack in that regard. 

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:

Well, in here, it's all about Xbox. We can discuss what to do for the others elsewhere (even though I don't personally find any of them in this situation).

I agree they aren`t in the same situation, but I`m thinking more on users behavior than thread unsafety for the other 2 systems. Hopefully Series X (or GP) will do a lot better next gen and Xbox community will return to size they had during 7th gen, at least my memory from the forum at that time was that there was more Xbox fans than Sony in here (it can be wrong though).

JWeinCom said:
DonFerrari said:

The thing is that because of the respective fanbases, it's a bit less necessary to focus on the other systems. Both Nintendo and Sony have active users who are fairly vigilant in reporting questionable posts, and in shooting down trolling posts or threads which makes most users less likely to make them (although it makes some users more likely to troll). Microsoft has less of those users, so the mods have to pick up some of the slack in that regard. 

I do agree the threads from Nintendo and Sony would need less protection, but we do have some users do the behavior that mods are trying to prevent on Xbox threads on threads for the other 2 companies. So sure mods don`t need to pay as much attention, but if someone is doing that behavior and get reported they should be moderated just the same as if someone was doing that on a Xbox thread (sure I know it won`t always be done or fast since the burden of the team is quite heavy).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."