By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - A Message To Our Xbox Community...

Is it...is it safe to enjoy Xbox now? [scurries away]

Around the Network

I guess my only flaw with this whole approach is that I kinda despise "echo chambers". I don't want unwarranted attacks but I don't like the idea of everyone just sitting around jerking each other off, either. There's a fine balance. I wish you guys luck in finding and keeping that balance.

d21lewis said:

I guess my only flaw with this whole approach is that I kinda despise "echo chambers". I don't want unwarranted attacks but I don't like the idea of everyone just sitting around jerking each other off, either. There's a fine balance. I wish you guys luck in finding and keeping that balance.

I'll say it is a valid criticism, but from what I understood and knowing the mod team to be reasonable I believe they won't forbid disagreement and discussion on MS threads, but will forbid that users that will only go there to take jabs to MS and dish out attacks to fans to be allowed to keep going to that thread (thread ban).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

As long as everyone is permited to have a critical opinion of the subject( assuming it is relevant to the topic) and without insulting anyone, it's a great new attitude to take!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

VAMatt said:
Fei-Hung said:
I think one of the things which usually create a lot of tension and bad blood is click bait articles being used to create threads / topics. Similar to Gaf and Era I think it would be good if thread topics can be vetted based on sources of the article / info linked.

Once vetted, if more questions need to be asked to the OP they can or the new thread can be denied and a reason given to the OP.

The best way to create a safe space is vetting the topics as they often encourage toxic behaviours.

Sometimes rewording /phrasing can go a long way and mods can help do this before publishing a new topic.

Imaginedvl said:

I welcome this. Thank you CGI and team, hopefully, this will make a difference.

I know I may not be as active as others, but there is one thing that you may want to look at: do not let people who clearly want to downplay or make sure they have the first word create threads about Xbox news.

You can see this happening a lot and it always becomes a shit show and we have to rely on the Xbox empire thread to talk about whatever topic their introduced (but with their own wordings to make sure it starts just bad). Please be also mindful of that, if someone who clearly does not like Xbox is creating a thread about it (while pretending this is something they are interested in), this is usually not ending well and the purpose of it is clear from the start.

I know this is tricky, but really, some of it is pretty obvious from the start.

These ideas touch too much on pre-emptive moderation, which is not something I can support.  I am an XB-first gamer (I do probably 60% of my gaming on XB, 30% on PS, 10% on Ninty), and I'd like the community to be more friendly to XB content.  But, mods saying yes or no to the existence of threads based on who starts them or their opinion of the source material (which often doesn't exist) is much too heavy handed, IMO.  That kind of control is too big of a price to pay to get rid of some (really not that bad, relative to most of the internet) trolling.   

Also, that sounds like a shitload of work for mods, which makes it less likely to be evenly applied (because there won't always be someone ready to research the source material or the history of the user).  That ain't good.  

Personally, I like the spirit of this new effort, and I hope it is successful.  But, as always, I prefer that the mods err on the side of being too lenient rather than too strict.  

In all fairness my insight was from helping run a radio station and it was a film time job so you're right in it being a lot of work for mods. 

Around the Network
Fei-Hung said:
VAMatt said:

These ideas touch too much on pre-emptive moderation, which is not something I can support.  I am an XB-first gamer (I do probably 60% of my gaming on XB, 30% on PS, 10% on Ninty), and I'd like the community to be more friendly to XB content.  But, mods saying yes or no to the existence of threads based on who starts them or their opinion of the source material (which often doesn't exist) is much too heavy handed, IMO.  That kind of control is too big of a price to pay to get rid of some (really not that bad, relative to most of the internet) trolling.   

Also, that sounds like a shitload of work for mods, which makes it less likely to be evenly applied (because there won't always be someone ready to research the source material or the history of the user).  That ain't good.  

Personally, I like the spirit of this new effort, and I hope it is successful.  But, as always, I prefer that the mods err on the side of being too lenient rather than too strict.  

In all fairness my insight was from helping run a radio station and it was a film time job so you're right in it being a lot of work for mods. 

This probably isn't happening unless they start paying us. Although in some extreme cases we do bar certain users from making topics in certain sections

CGI-Quality said:
DonFerrari said:
I support this, but that is something that should be enforced for all 3 consoles and PC.

Well, in here, it's all about Xbox. We can discuss what to do for the others elsewhere (even though I don't personally find any of them in this situation).

I think this is a really bad direction, and I say that as a previous moderator on the team and also primarily a PS/PC gamer. Perhaps there is a place for special focus on Xbox threads to ensure that it does not become a constant bashing ground simply because its 'Xbox', but this should simply be governed by the existing rule set.

There are many consequences for following this approach, and personally I believe it leads to further community segregation.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Can we rename this into the XBox moderation thread?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

This was needed since 2011.
Even back then Xbox 360 fans were outnumbered, because most of them just don't care about forums that much.

But I think this is a good first step.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

XBOX threads get no more or less bashing thanany other brand on this site. It only appears that way because there are no XBOX fans to defend these threads vs the other groups who have their dedicated warriors. That's not our fault. Last gen we had a ton XBOX fans and they were ruthless and rightfully so, but come half way through last gen and all this gen they dipped on outta here when the tables turned. That is one thing that the PlayStation and Nintendo communities should be applauded for; they don't turn tail and run. Because of the forefathers of the XBOX community I them as our "softest" group.

Really though, we really should be fostering an environment where this kind ...segregation.. is diffused. I think we should do something major and get rid of platform specific forums and practice integration instead.

Last edited by Xxain - on 16 August 2020