By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Halo Infinite delayed to 2021

sales2099 said:
goopy20 said:

What baffles me the most is how out of touch MS seems to be with what they're showcasing. First they publicly apologize for the May event, saying they learned from it and that they would do better in July. Then they build the whole July event around Halo Infinite, and again they are apologizing, and now even delaying their flagship launch title. Its like they don't know what they're doing and are caught by surprise by the terrible feed back they're getting from the gaming community.

I'm telling yas, their cross gen strategy is biting them in the ass and they're finally starting to realize that 4k and 120fps just isn't good enough. I just hope they can still turn things around and drop the whole "we're not leaving anyone behind" thing.

They apologized for mis-advertising May. If they labelled it as a small scale showcase with low expectations instead of “first glimpse of Series X gameplay” then there be no backlash. 

Halo was the front runner but the whole point of July was to showcase 1st party games. While people were quick to comment on the lack of gameplay in the trailers, the “Halo Gears Forza” narrative is dead as we now know of plenty variety in development. The lack of gameplay narrative is a temporary one. Good riddance to that tired insult. 

Halo being delayed is them being in touch. You got it all wrong. They know they have their work cut out and will delay the game to meet fan demand. Now 2021 will continue Xbox momentum when Halo launches at its potential. 

Im not gona say your are wrong, but how much more learning and listening do we really need before they have a decent show without massive backlash? After a point you kind expect them to just keep screwing up. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Native 4K/120fps is a gigantic trap for Halo: Infinite and Xbox game studios, they need to go whit lower resolution, perhaps 1440p. Talk about power is good, but than come and start to taunt native 4k/120fps realy creates problems for devs... if they keep things at native 4k/120 it doesn't matter if the game will be delayed for 1 year or more, game is going to look bad, and all PS5 games made with "freedom of FPS / resolution" will be infinitely superior visually.

Manlytears said:

Native 4K/120fps is a gigantic trap for Halo: Infinite and Xbox game studios, they need to go whit lower resolution, perhaps 1440p. Talk about power is good, but than come and start to taunt native 4k/120fps realy creates problems for devs... if they keep things at native 4k/120 it doesn't matter if the game will be delayed for 1 year or more, game is going to look bad, and all PS5 games made with "freedom of FPS / resolution" will be infinitely superior visually.

Frames per second and Resolution is very important for a competitive first person shooter. The resolution allows you to see your enemies from a far distance faster and good frames per second helps with reaction time. 

Manlytears said:

Depends on what they're trying to do. I genuinely believe they can make a stunning 4K/60 fps game on the Series X. I am looking forward to seeing Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 at 4K/60 fps and with better visual settings on Series X.

However, if 343 really wants to push some next gen effects like ray tracing, then there need to be compromises.

I don't think 120 fps mode was promising 4K by the way.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

d21lewis said:
The last major console that I can think of that launched without a first party game was the PS2.

I guess what we consider major is subjective. I didn't really consider any 1st party games in the 8th gen launch major. As I've stated before the 3rd party games crushed 1st party in sales. I mean it was a bunch of B tier stuff.

MS will simply have to lean into the 3rd party content. I'd say they should really push Cyberpunk if it really benefits from Series X, but that game could be delayed as well.

As far as I am aware the only big title PS5 has at launch is essentially a Spiderman expansion. I know that's considered significant, but these are both platforms relying heavily on 3rd party content. More people will be playing Fortnite and the next Call of Duty on 9th gen.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
hunter_alien said:
While I think it was a good decision to push the game back (it was obviously not ready to ship in time), one has to wonder how competent are the people at 343i and how well will the launch be managed for the Series X/S. Thus far we are tracking to have a worse release than Xone, and honestly, I don't know how they will manage to get their momentum back.

To be fair Lockhart isn’t official yet. And with the rumors that it will come with a controller-less sku to save $50 given how Xbox One controllers carry over, it should really shake things up. 

Really? Thats very interesting but if it will help to keep the price down then it can be huge. A lockheart version all digital and no controller could maybe be sold for $250, a killer price.

Manlytears said:

while I definitely want games to run at 60fps (which they wont in the near future probably) I dont see a reason to push for 120. A lot of people dont even care about 60fps. 120 seems to be just a waste of resources that will please only a very small portion of the fanbase.

d21lewis said:
The last major console that I can think of that launched without a first party game was the PS2.

It relied on basically haveing more games support from 3rd party than any other console, and getting tons of 3rd party exclusives.
The xbox SX wont have the same advantage over its competition.

d21lewis said:
Can't lie, though. I know it takes years to make a AAA game but after the last year or so (though I absolutely loved Gears 5), I was hoping Microsoft would hit the ground running with the XSX. They've got a fair amount to be excited about but this isn't a good look for them.

They still havn't shown games running on a Xbox Series X.
That is the odd part, last event it was games running on a PC they assume had like for like-ish capabilities, but a PC.

Launching without a 1st party AAA flagship type game is a huge thing though.
There was already very little reason to get a XSX, because they claim every game comeing with need to run on both Xbox One, and the Series X.
(for the first 2 years.)

OTBWY said:
RolStoppable said:

They aren't being given the benefit of the doubt because the usual outcome is crunch, regardless of what a studio head says. Microsoft will need Halo Infinite sooner than later, especially because there are no other new games that can fill its spot.

It's all conjecture since for one, they already acknowledged the problem of crunch before and specifically talked about how to address it, and two, hiring more hands to help rather gives an indication of the opposite. So I am still waiting on something that indicates this delay is paired with crunch. Unless of course someone makes the argument that all delays have crunch, which is weak (and a generalization). 

Well, there is experience that leads to the believe despite the delay the team may face serious crunch. If not: good. But sadly previous knowledge points in a different direction. For the moment the assumption goes in the direction that cruch still will be involved. And yes, it is a generalization, but one that is founded on observing the real world. I wouldn't push blame on 343 without proof, but I wouldn't praise them either without proof.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]