By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Lucky you! You're the new head of Nintendo. What do you do?

Shut down hardware production immediately and move development to PC and mobile exclusively. Maybe other consoles too if they play nice.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
The_Liquid_Laser said:
Dulfite said:
Software: Starfox Adventures 2, Paper Luigi: TTYD spinoff, Super Mario RPG 2, Donkey Kong 3D sequel to 64, Advanced Wars sequel, Mario Strikers sequel, Oriacle of Time/Seasons remake in Links Awakening engine, Smash Bros Open world RPG game with huge and deep story, Battle Royale game with unique art style (new IP, maybe cell shaded?), Metroid 5, Hyrule: Total War, Shadow of War/Mordor-like game set in Hyrule, to start.

Hardware: Release Switch Mini, slightly smaller than LITE and folds in half so you can pack it like a bulky wallet. Then focus on Switch 2 development.

I highly approve of what I've bolded above.  If I were head of Nintendo, I'd hire you to spearhead these projects.

Can I put your endorsement on my LinkedIN profile?

VAMatt said:

I sell the company to Microsoft, Alphabet, Alibaba, Tencent, or some other giant behemoth.

Nintendo is doing well. But the reality is that the value of the company has underperformed relative to other tech companies in the same time frame. 

On the other hand, you could say that in tendo is not really a tech company. Maybe it's more of a toy company, or an entertainment company.  I don't have a great counter there, except to say that it has underperformed many entertainment companies as well. If we're calling it a toy company, it has performed pretty well.

Performance in revenue or profit? Their profit far outperforms Xbox and PlayStation divisions. They have like $35 billion in cash and assets, last I check years ago (before Switch). The key to Nintendo is they don't spend money loosely and wildly like the other two companies, so they can make a lot more profit off less sold in games and hardware because of it. They are a frugile company, which makes them survive things like complete failures (Virtual Boy, Wii U). 

I'd do a number of things.

1. Current Virtual Console Subscription: Expand the VC subscription service to include GB, GBA, and N64 ASAP. Figure out timelines on those and announce the schedule for when they are expected. Prioritize just getting them out, adding online gaming to the games could be done as a later update. I'd also rebrand this back to being called the Virtual Console.

2. Future Virtual Console Subscription: Beyond just expanding the VC service, I'd start preparing to make it a general service not tied to Nintendo systems to be launched with the launch of the next system. This netflix-like service that you can play on a variety of devices would build upon the Switch's VC sub service, so it would launch with GB, GBA, NES, SNES, N64, and GC libraries.

3. Hardware issues: I'd make sure the joycon drift issue got solved immediately and all new joycons being shipped by start of 2021 were the updated model. I'd also make the connection between the system and the joycons a bit sturdier (as recently my left joycon gets disconnected and i have to fidget with it for a few seconds to reconnect) and build that into all newly shipped systems by start of 2021.

4. Switch 2: I'd be setting up a straight upgrade to the Switch as the next gen system, to launch likely in 2024, though certainly if the teams had already come up with interesting new features I'd evaluate those for inclusion. I'd be targeting power benchmarks a bit stronger than the base PS4/XB1 models, 1080p screen, 512 GB disk space, built in bluetooth, do, make the form factor slightly larger to accommodate extra batteries and slightly larger 2nd gen joycons.

5. More Switch models: I'd make sure a "Switch Plus" was in development with an expected launch date of Fall 2021 or Spring 2022, depending on Switch sales next year. The launch would coincide with a price drop of the current models to $180 and $240. This model would be same form factor as the original, but with larger screen, slightly more power in order to improve resolution and/or frame rate of games that don't already run optimally, larger storage space to probably 256gb, a sleeker dock, a stronger kickstand, and built in bluetooth. I'd also be get internal research done about the market viability of a "Switch Home" model, to launch Fall 2022, same specs as the Switch Plus, comes with a Pro controller, priced same as Switch Lite.

6. Online: I'd direct the company into modern times with a revamped online play setup. Friend codes gone, messaging included, voice chat included. Just in general take a much more consumer friendly and modern approach to online gaming. As soon as we had the plan figured out I'd make a public announcement of the future revamped online setup coming to the Switch. No more need for phone apps to do stuff the Switch should be doing itself - also speaking of this, the Switch gaming log would get a big update with more detailed playtimes and stats and graphs and stuff.

7. Studio moves:
Sega - I'd look into purchasing Sega, and have them focus on making modern versions of their best franchises, and put some trusted Nintendo project managers in charge of their teams to make sure quality is up to Nintendo standards. I'd also then add the Genesis to the VC service, with the Master System, Saturn, and Dreamcast to be added later to the 2nd gen VC subscription service once it goes platform independent.
Game Freak - I'd do whatever needed to be done to greatly improve the quality of Pokemon games. The series rests on its laurels, I'd be intent on giving it a BotW style revolutionary treatment. What form that would take I don't know, but Pokemon needs a revamp.

8. Third parties: I'd be talking to Capcom about making a version of the next MH from the ground up for the Switch to be released same day as the other versions. I'd be talking to Square-Enix about Kingdom Hearts and the next Dragon Quest to get ground up versions of those with same day releases as other versions. I'd regularly focus time on getting more third party big games to the Switch, and setting up relationships where at the very least they have a bunch of AAA PS4/Xbox1 straight ports launching on the Switch 2 in year one, as well as versions of next gen games made for Switch 2.

9. Game Pricing: I'd put in place a standard pricing model of $40 for ports of games like DKC:TF, NSMBUD, etc rather than the $60 price tag as if they are new games. Mario Kart wouldn't apply because as sales have shown the market has accepted it as the Mario Kart for the Switch and not just an old game. Also little party type games like 1-2 Switch would be priced at $30 on launch. Also I'd start the Nintendo Selects collection on Switch for first party games whose sales have slowed down. Nintendo Selects would be priced at $30, while ports that launched (or should have launched at $40 under the new pricing rules) would go down to $20. Nintendo Selects would immediately include Pokemon Let's Go, Arms, Mario Tennis, Xenoblade 2, Kirby, Yoshi, DKC: TF, Captain Toad, and Link's Awakening off the top of my head (probably a few more).

10. Mobile - I'd focus more attention on the mobile market, looking to put out a couple games a year. The main difference from Nintendo's past efforts would be smart monetization strategies instead of terrible ones.

11. First party software:
a) I'd make sure the fact that Nintendo studios are consolidated to a single system actually improves the output of games. I'd make sure portable or lapsed or degraded series like Fzero, Golden Sun, Advance Wars, Kid Icarus, Mario Strikers, Warioware, Excitebike, Wave Race, Mario & Luigi or Mario RPG, Star Fox, and more are all being worked on and in the case of something like Star Fox which is more degraded than lapsed, I'd focus attention on going back to the drawing board to revise the series for success.
b) I'd be getting a Switch Sports game (in the vein of Wii Sports) with online play out on the Switch no later than holiday 2021, and it would include among other things improved and deeper versions of Bowling, Boxing, Golf, and Tennis from Wii Sports (sorry, Baseball).
c) I'd release several HD collections of big series including Mario (64, Sunshine, Galaxy 1+2 - assuming this isn't already planned this Fall), Zelda (OoT, MM, WW, SS), Metroid Prime Trilogy but I assume this is already coming.
d) I'd direct Ring Fit to become an annual series of different genres of fitness games so people who bought the Ring can actually take advantage of it beyond a one-off game. These games priced without the Ring would be $40 each. Possible games to look into would be a mini game collection, fighting, action, shoot 'em up. Some of these games would be multiplayer with 2 or more rings. Instead of having one(or two)-off fitness products like Wii Fit & Wii Fit Plus, and Ring Fit, I'd developer Nintendo's fitness games into a brand, in which Nintendo is considered THE fitness gaming company.
e) I'd make sure Switch is getting another 3D Mario, another Mario Party, and a brand new 2D Mario game is being built for the Switch, something entirely different than the "New" series.
f) I'd get MK8D a paid DLC with two new cups and a few new items added specifically for those courses.
g) I'd make a couple new internal studios to make Bit Collection games or something like that. The idea being go after the retro and indie feel with Nintendo's big IP. Retro indies in general already harken back to the NES/SNES days, so this would be the same thing but with actual Nintendo games. These games would be cheap to make, would allow experimentation on the franchises, while also giving players a nostalgic taste of NES/SNES games. Priced at $30. These games would go for the old school feel of tight controls, solid difficulty, 2D with 8/16-bit style focus. This could almost be looked at the handheld side of things in previous gens when the main big games would come to Ninty's home system and smaller games would come to the handheld - except more experimentation in the indie vein would be the goal here. This would of course also include later IP that weren't around back in the 8/16-bit days.

12. Next gen first party software: I'd focus Mario Kart 9 and Smash on the Switch 2 to rework their formula. Smash Ultimate was, well, ultimate, and that series as it has been has run its course. Mario Kart as well feels stale. Both series would get big changes while still keeping true to their concepts. Mario Kart would go more a Smash route of including courses and characters and items of a range of Nintendo games (which, granted, MK8 just barely started with some non-Mario courses). Smash I'm not sure what direction it would go in, but some sort of changes are needed because you can't top Ultimate by doing just the same thing.

cue, take over world!

I would have considerable power, but the board of directors could obviously still disapprove of things I do. But here are some things I would do or attempt to do.
-Communication of what first-party titles are coming out the rest of 2020 and for most of 2021.
-Dedicated servers for Switch Online, joining a friend's game, voice chat, N64/GCN/GB/GBC/GBA games on Nintendo Switch Online. Also, add two free games a month to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. If the other executives are uncomfortable with that for $20 a year, make it a premium online service that is $30 a year. Universal cloud saves with Nintendo Switch games.
-Internet Browser, Netflix, folders, themes,
-A price drop for the Switch and Switch Lite. Switch is $249.99, Switch Lite is $169.99. Upgrade both to 64 GB of internal storage.
-Switch 2 launches in March 2023. In docked mode, it's pretty much around the performance of a PS4 Pro. In portable mode, it's at least around a base PS4 if not better. It will launch at $299.99 or $349.99. If it would barely making a profit at those levels, so what. Nintendo would eat the cost.
-Fire Miyamoto
-Have Paper Mario like the first two titles in the series.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Lucky? Umm... I don't know, sell the company so then I can be rich without the responsibility and pressure of managing a worldwide company?

...But okay, I'll play along as this can be a fun thing to think about.

I'd put a messaging system on the Switch so you can talk to anyone you're friends with, and also making game invites as a system-wide feature something that's actually useful. I'd have the developers work on the online multiplayer, giving games like Smash and Splatoon a decent netcode and also make it free.

So, no more Nintendo Online subscription, instead the NES and SNES apps would be their own subscription thing, $10 a year. Of course, N64, GB/GBC and GBA games would be added to it eventually, all under the same subscription. However, even people who aren't paying for it are still allowed to open the app for each console and buy each game individually if they like it better that way.

In terms of the Switch hardware, the main priority would be fixing the Joy-Con drift. Also, I'd have them make a docked-only version of the Switch, which would come with more USB ports, a better audio jack (the one on the Switch gives off noise when docked), and a built-in ethernet port. Then I'd distribute several thousand of these docked-only Switch units to tournament organizers across the world. Speaking of tournaments, I'd make the Airplane Mode available always, and you can't use any wireless controller when it is turned on. Easy fix, really.

Games. Well...

The Legend of Zelda: HD Collection. A re-release of Wind Waker HD, Twilight Princess HD, as well as a brand new remaster of Skyward Sword, as well as a slightly reworked remake/remaster of Ocarina of Time 3D and Majora's Mask 3D. Don't care about the price, if it has to go beyond $60, then so be it. I'd also have the Link's Awakening team start working on a remake of Zelda 2.

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD. Obviously. I don't know if this is already in the works, I feel like it isn't, but jesus this has to be the most obvious thing ever. Personally, I'd have them rework the graphics, make each of the three games as pretty as it can be, while leaving the gameplay itself intact. That, and also I'd bring back the original scan logs from the GameCube release of Prime 1 (a few of these got changed in the Trilogy port and I'm no fan of it).

Put Amaterasu in Smash. And also Life Will Change.

Then I'd throw a massive budget into making a new Star Fox game, and resign from CEO to work on that game as a director. Or something.

I wanted to talk Pokémon, but I think even in this dream scenario, saving that franchise is beyond the realm of possibility. So, let it rot in hell. But of course, if this were to happen in real life, yeah I'd do the thing I said in the first line.

Sorry but you are just head of the company. Didn't say anything about owning shares in it. You sold the company to Apple, they turn it into the iTendo, charge Apple premium for it so now Switch costs $600. Sales plummet and Apple closes the division. Now Nintendo doesn't exist and you got no money, your life is a failure. Later you decide to write a book about how you destroyed Nintendo. You get rich, but everyone hates you and you get death threats weekly. You move to a tropical island, but tragically die in a skydiving accident. The investigation finds, oddly, that your parachute had been replaced by a bag full of NES cartridges.....meanwhile in Japan, Miyamoto looks upon his collection of Nintendo games, and shuffles a few games around to cover up 20 missing NES games...and the new Star Fox game is never made!

I’d take their online network out of the mid 2000s and into 2020. I’d make a massive marketplace that carries over every gen that has all first party games from all Nintendo generations available in one location. Finally I’d do fan outreach to see what IPs we have been neglecting and what people want to see more of.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I would put butchered ports of all of the Nintendo games onto other platforms to devalue the franchises. Then I'd push for second rate versions of games that are already on XBOX and PS on to the Switch, so that people get confused as to why the platform even exists. Then be clueless as to why the company has folded.

Hmmm....

Well first off I'd probably seek out the formation of a new studio, likely a western one, to supplement development of games that the West would particularly be interested in. As a random example I'd find someone driven out of Bioware, Ubisoft, Rockstar, etc with a respectable pedigree and tell them 'I will fund your own studio under our perview'. The studio would likely have a 'teething' phase where they have to play under certain safety nets over creative freedom (for an example a former Bioware dev who wants to do something in space has to do it as a Star Fox or Metroid game, not a new I.P). Should they do well enough they can go on without the established brand boost.

As a caveat to the above if the developer is famous for sports games I would tell them to make 'a game to put egg on E.A's face'. AKA they'd prove themselves first by creating a high quality football sim game better than Madden, but with the 'Hyrule Champions' and 'Dreamland Hammers' instead of the Giants or Patriots. I'd email a copy of the millions sold to E.A leadership.

I'd leave tech in the basic form, but with a goal to update functions for user ease. Not a huge thing on my own end, I'm a I.P sort of guy.

Speaking of I.P I would seek to ensure steady rotation of I.P's wherever possible. I'd aim to keep current franchises coming out at a healthy pace while also seeking to revive others. In particular games would be broken down into two distinct species: the sellers such as Pokemon and Animal Crossing, and the pleasers such as Metroid and Pikmin. There would be a goal of one pleaser every year.

Franchises would be given encouragement to spread into other mediums. I would seek to launch a publishing imprint dedicated to creating novel canons for various series to create expanded universes. This would allow for catering to a wider fandom demographic. Additionally animated productions will be considered. Live action will be more hesitant, but that is because I am not a huge fan of them myself.

Third party relations would be sought to be improved where possible, however I will not be afraid to stir up trouble for them. The exact response will depend on the party: for one example if Persona 5 continues to be an impass and no evidence of a contract exclusive is present I will bar Sega from releasing on the Switch until the issue is forced . On E.A's end should E.A try to make an excuse for bad or non-present ports I will 'leak' information to either make it clear that their games are not selling because they suck, or the gamers would buy it. I would be willing to use sales data on third party game and general feedback on fans to attack. Where possible I will consume other studios as to lock down and secure games for the platform. This will not be limited by such nonsense as 'good consumer practices': I will be willing to, for example, buy up I.D studios from Bethesda and remove all DOOM games from storefronts immediately. I would give this as a response.

"Doom has been secured as Nintendo game. As the CEO of Nintendo it is my duty to ensure that Nintendo games get the highest quality games possible in the widest of fields. The happiness of non-Nintendo gamers is not only not my problem, but something that I must strive to negatively impact to ensure purchases of Nintendo games."

Mobile games would be walked away from as much as possible. Pokemon GO will likely be left alone, but I would ensure easy severing of losses and likely even assist in regulation pushes against lootboxes and other such mechanics. I would use my genuine dislike of them to paint the company as regretful and seeking redeemption as the loot box tied games are set afire.

As a C.E.O I would be utterly honest and upfront about everything: I will seek to cultivate a reputation as the most entertaining villain in the industry. I will be hammy, ruthless, yet endearing in an odd way.

Pokemon is the odd duck in the room: it is the Nintendo COD for all that means. I will seek to increase Nintendo control of the franchise from where it currently stands as a Second Party title. This is a step often ignored. I will do this by using I.P split owning to prevent Game Freak and Pokemon company from doing anything with Pokemon until they give into my demands. I will also make my actions public as part of villain persona. The demands will include the moving of Pokemon I.P publishing rights to Nintendo book publishing only to lock a guaranteed money source, the easier allowance of Pokemon cameos in other Nintendo titles, and additional demands.

Would likely increase virtual console offerings, patch up the E-shop layout, and seek to reinvigorate Amiibo.

The Democratic Nintendo fan....is that a paradox? I'm fond of one of the more conservative companies in the industry, but I vote Liberally and view myself that way 90% of the time?

Cerebralbore101 said:
Metallox said:

The alternative we have right now is better given the price, we may have less games but I think we have the ones that mattered on each platform. It could be even better if Nintendo released N64, GB/GBA and maybe even GameCube games, and that ultimately would make NSO more worthwhile. But Nintendo will be Nintendo. 

What alternative? As far as I know almost nothing from NES, SNES, N64, and GC are purchasable on Switch. Maybe from 3rd parties but especially not from Nintendo's IPs.

The Nintendo Switch Online games. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.