By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2020 (Jul 20 - Jul 26)

Tagged games:

Third parties for the most part just seem perpetually short-sighted when it comes to Nintendo.

Here we have one of the fastest selling systems in history, absolutely dominating Japan in particular, with numerous examples of third party games selling well on it, and still their support is mostly lackluster. They're leaving so much money on the table.



Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

Around the Network

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2020 (Jul 20 - Jul 26)

01./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
02./02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King <ADV> (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
03./01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17} (¥6.900)
04./05. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
05./00. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics <TBL> (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(Taiwan)
01./01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima <ADV> (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17}
02./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
03./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
04./05. [NSW] Super Mario Party <ETC> (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe <RCE> (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(South Korea)
01./02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King <ADV> (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
02./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons <ETC> (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure <HOB> (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
04./00. [NSW] Octopath Traveler <RPG> (Arc System Works) {2020.07.23}
05./05. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch <HOB> (Nintendo) {2020.07.01}

Top 5

NSW - 5



Marth said:

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2020 (Jul 20 - Jul 26)

01./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
02./02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
03./01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17} (¥6.900)
04./05. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
05./00. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(Taiwan)
01./01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17}
02./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
03./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
04./05. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(South Korea)
01./02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
02./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
04./00. [NSW] Octopath Traveler (Arc System Works) {2020.07.23}
05./05. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Nintendo) {2020.07.01}

Top 5

NSW - 5

Did they translate Octopath Traveler into Korean or why did it take 3 years to release over there???



Bofferbrauer2 said:

Did they translate Octopath Traveler into Korean or why did it take 3 years to release over there???

It got a korean localization.



TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020 Q2:

  1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 2.396.303
  2. Ring Fit Adventure - 328.387
  3. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 171.620(new)
  4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 164.113
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition - 123.920(new)
  6. Smash Ultimate - 114.495
  7. Splatoon 2 - 114.226
  8. Trials of Mana - 100.451(new)
  9. Minecraft - 94.762
  10. Super Mario Party - 85.551

TOTAL: 3.693.828

TOTAL HARDWARE: 966.530

TOP 10 Switch Famitsu 2020 Q3:

  1. Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 275.678
  2. Paper Mario: The Origami King - 159.735(new)
  3. eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 - 145.689(new)
  4. Ring Fit Adventure - 131.775
  5. Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics - 89.407
  6. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - 46.121
  7. Pokemon Sword / Shield - 33.656
  8. Splatoon 2 - 32.412
  9. Smash Ultimate - 28.804
  10. Minecraft - 25.766

TOTAL: 969.043

TOTAL HARDWARE: 387.557

Lifetime attach rate of New Horizon

  • New Horizon Week 12: 14.69%
  • New Horizon Week 20: 32.95%
  • New Horizon Week 27: 35.86%
  • New Horizon Week 30: 36.57%

  • So far due to bundles and big demand, New Horizon is at 71% physical attach rate this quarter and 36.57% physical attach rate overall
  • In terms of Hardware Q3 is already at 40% of what Q2 did, if this is maintained we are looking at >1.2M Hardware in Q3
  • With attach rate of around 70% New Horizon will sell around >840K this Quarter
  • Ring Fit Adventure is 40% of what it did in Q2, without actually seeing a big shipment(expect big shipments for Obon)
  • We will see another Quarter over Quarter growth for Ring Fit, minimally I think it would do >400K, how high it gets depends on supply


Around the Network
Marth said:

Media Create Sales: Week 30, 2020 (Jul 20 - Jul 26)

01./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
02./02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
03./01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17} (¥6.900)
04./05. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
05./00. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics (Nintendo) {2020.06.05} (¥3.980)

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(Taiwan)
01./01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima (Sony Interactive Entertainment) {2020.07.17}
02./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18} (¥7.980)
03./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20} (¥5.980)
04./05. [NSW] Super Mario Party (Nintendo) {2018.10.05}
05./00. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Nintendo) {2017.12.15}

Top 5

NSW - 4
PS4 - 1

(South Korea)
01./02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King (Nintendo) {2020.07.17} (¥5.980)
02./03. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo) {2020.03.20}
03./04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo) {2019.10.18}
04./00. [NSW] Octopath Traveler (Arc System Works) {2020.07.23}
05./05. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima's Brain Training for Nintendo Switch (Nintendo) {2020.07.01}

Top 5

NSW - 5

Those are definitely some fascinating lists.  I'm surprised that Octopath Traveler is just now being release in South Korea.  Meanwhile in Taiwan, RFA is even more popular than Animal Crossing.  When RFA initially released I thought it was tailor made for a Japanese audience, but it actually looks like it has strong worldwide appeal.



Wow, Octopath was published by Arc System Works in Korea ... Square seemingly does not care to put an oz of effort into publishing outside of Japan or for FF specifically ...

Btw, glad that Paper Mario had a nice 2nd week. I think it can reach good numbers due to the great word of mouth it's getting !



Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Even for a system being replaced in a matter of months, these PS4 numbers are something else.

Surely it can't be a matter of supply constraints, as it's hard to believe they couldn't even ship 2000 units for an entire country, when they're able to ship enough globally to sell over 160k for the week.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 02 August 2020

Bet with Liquidlaser: I say PS5 and Xbox Series will sell more than 56 million combined by the end of 2023.

It's weird and they could definitely be selling around 5K per week if supply was there but to me with the reveal of the PS5 they've given up on Japan and now it's going to be an entirely Mobile + Nintendo dominated. This will have long term implications for the console business, as next year I don't expect PS5 to be able to achieve more than 15% market share in terms of hardware. Their succession of handheld gaming after the Vita failed due to lackluster support and losing Monster Hunter to Nintendo ended up starting to show ramifications very early in the Switch's life. Now we are starting to see the full effect, as even during the DS/Wii days the maximum market share Nintendo achieved was around 66% because PSP still had a lot of games you could not purchase elsewhere. Now with losing their portable franchises or unsuccessfully trying to migrate this audience to the PS4, their prior partners and supporters have three options - get on the AAA train, start supporting the Switch or go out of business.
We already saw that God Eater saw two declines from the PSP when it was selling >600K, on the PSV the top-selling game sold close to 400K and God Eater 3 on the PS4 managed a paltry >200K. From all their portable IPs, the only one we saw that saw growth was Persona and that was partly due to the larger scale and budget for Persona 5, which paid off leading to the best selling game in the franchise. 

Sony is still a great partner for AAA, because you can be certain if your AAA game is exclusive to the system, Sony Japan will market the hell out of it.. but any developer unable to invest so much, it's a difficult value proposition - to risk it all on AAA game in order to release it on a console that would sell 10-20% of what the Switch has potential to sell in Japan could sink a studio. Even in Japan AAA budgets are no joke, especially for studios and publishers that are already in a risky situation because they didn't change their long term strategy to include multiplats for the Switch on their home turf.

Imagineer with a single game has sold >122K physical in Japan thus far(digital probably makes it much higher) and this is not a cheap game Fitness Boxing retails at ¥5.800. This is more sales than Atlus, FuRyu, Nippon Ichi, Idea Factory, Spike Chunsoft, Arc System, From Software etc. have sold on the system. It also continues to sell, much like Fishing Spirits & Taiko you can achieve evergreen status if you have a great concept and a company invests in marketing. There is a reason why Bandai has been doing advertisements for Fishing Spirits and Hori even released a peripheral for the game in Japan. Smaller more agile studios that were quick to jump on the Switch bandwagon with novel concepts will now reap the benefits while others still struggle to even find a 100K seller on the system. 



Eagle367 said:
Farsala said:

What will you do when PS4 sales are 0? You can't have a ratio with 0!

To infinity and beyond!

Also Capcom not putting MH on switch is Capcom's loss honestly. They don't know how to do business if they do that

Nope. Its Nintendo's loss. THey lost their bigges third party exclusive franchise that would have netted them near hundred million from royalties alone.

Capcom is laughing all the way to the bank. MHW in 2 years has outsold every single 3DS mainline entry combined. MHW+Iceborne in 2 years has outsold every 3DS entry combined in 7 years.

Capcom won. They've finally able to globalise and become a AAA powerhouse with MH, no longer reliant on one single market and all it took was one game and leaving Nintendo.

Agente42 said:
Slownenberg said:

It'd be great if they did a Switch port of World as long as it ran decently, but yeah obviously that isn't going to happen. World's success in the west means Capcom doesn't need to drop PS/Xbox in exchange for Nintendo. But still it would make financial sense for them to have a team making a ground up Switch version of the next game while they make the PS5/XBS version.

A Switch version of the next game would cost a lot less than the other version and add many millions to their sales. Japan alone would probably rack up 4 or 5 million sales on the Switch. It could realistically be a 10+ million seller on Switch alone thanks Japan domination, and since they are already making the game a lot of code could be copied to the Switch version, just with different assets made from the ground up for the Switch, and then obviously changing the code in whatever ways needed to optimize for the Switch. It'd probably be an extra 10+ million sales for at most 50% extra effort. Though knowing third parties these days, they'd rather just be lazy than make more money.

aways Japanese week sales have Mh discussion. Why? Capcom helped Switch elaboration. Capcom has great sales on the Nintendo Platform ( the best selling SF to the date is on Nintendo platform, Megaman, good sales of Monster Hunter and Resident Evil). The great Capcom series have good sales. Nintendo Switch is a major platform now. 

It's nonsensical and Capcom lost a ton of money not make an MH game for Nintendo Switch. Maybe 150-300 Millions of dollar. If Capcom has an agreement with Sony that agreement has to be something that exceeds that amount. If not, it was extremely dumb and poorly planned. 

Monster Hunter World was only possible thanks to sales of the series on the Nintendo console.

Monster Hunter is only possible due to the sales of the series on PSP.

Kai_Mao said:
Marth said:
New Monster Hunter on Switch is never going to happen.
Capcom has shown already what kind of games they are willing to bring to the Switch.

Yup. And, unfortunately, its likely not gonna be that many.

Even if Switch users pass all of these game "tests" and buy whatever lackadaisical ports Capcom brings, Capcom is likely not going do anything more than that on Switch. Its a shame. There are opportunities to bring new entries of popular franchises on Switch (i.e., Ace Attorney, Okami, Viewtiful Joe, etc.). Heck, a sequel to Tatsunoko vs. Capcom would be cool since Switch isn't even getting SFV: Champion's Edition or MvC.

To the big third party developers from Japan, here's what I am asking: What are you waiting for to consider providing more Switch support?

The Switch is dominating Japan (and likely continue to do so even with the PS5 launching this year), selling well elsewhere, and has had some decent third party success, especially when most of the support are late (or last-gen) ports. Sure, the majority of the software sales are from Nintendo's first party offerings, and its likely not going to change, but that doesn't mean a new entry from Monster Hunter, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, and others are unwarranted on Switch.

Japanese 3rd parties are not waiting on the SW. Their biggest and best selling games worldwide are with Playstation due to Playstation accounting for the majority of their sales throughout the years.

noshten said:

It's weird and they could definitely be selling around 5K per week if supply was there but to me with the reveal of the PS5 they've given up on Japan and now it's going to be an entirely Mobile + Nintendo dominated. This will have long term implications for the console business, as next year I don't expect PS5 to be able to achieve more than 15% market share in terms of hardware. Their succession of handheld gaming after the Vita failed due to lackluster support and losing Monster Hunter to Nintendo ended up starting to show ramifications very early in the Switch's life. Now we are starting to see the full effect, as even during the DS/Wii days the maximum market share Nintendo achieved was around 66% because PSP still had a lot of games you could not purchase elsewhere. Now with losing their portable franchises or unsuccessfully trying to migrate this audience to the PS4, their prior partners and supporters have three options - get on the AAA train, start supporting the Switch or go out of business.
We already saw that God Eater saw two declines from the PSP when it was selling >600K, on the PSV the top-selling game sold close to 400K and God Eater 3 on the PS4 managed a paltry >200K. From all their portable IPs, the only one we saw that saw growth was Persona and that was partly due to the larger scale and budget for Persona 5, which paid off leading to the best selling game in the franchise. 

Sony is still a great partner for AAA, because you can be certain if your AAA game is exclusive to the system, Sony Japan will market the hell out of it.. but any developer unable to invest so much, it's a difficult value proposition - to risk it all on AAA game in order to release it on a console that would sell 10-20% of what the Switch has potential to sell in Japan could sink a studio. Even in Japan AAA budgets are no joke, especially for studios and publishers that are already in a risky situation because they didn't change their long term strategy to include multiplats for the Switch on their home turf.

Imagineer with a single game has sold >122K physical in Japan thus far(digital probably makes it much higher) and this is not a cheap game Fitness Boxing retails at ¥5.800. This is more sales than Atlus, FuRyu, Nippon Ichi, Idea Factory, Spike Chunsoft, Arc System, From Software etc. have sold on the system. It also continues to sell, much like Fishing Spirits & Taiko you can achieve evergreen status if you have a great concept and a company invests in marketing. There is a reason why Bandai has been doing advertisements for Fishing Spirits and Hori even released a peripheral for the game in Japan. Smaller more agile studios that were quick to jump on the Switch bandwagon with novel concepts will now reap the benefits while others still struggle to even find a 100K seller on the system. 

Nope. Sony has invested heavily in Japanese software, more than any other platform holder.

Death Stranding (console exclusive)

FF7R exclusive (console timed exclusive)

Project Athia (console timed exclusive)

Ghostwire Tokyo (console exclusive)

Team Ninja (Tecmo, exclusive akin Nioh)

Persona (remaining exclusive)

Silent Hill (rumoured)

FF16 (rumoured)

PS5, like PS4, will sell 9-10 million which is still notably relevant (the national phenomenon that was the Wii only did 12 million+) and will have better third party support than the SW. Japanese AAA, AA, A and Western AAA while the SW will miss Japanese and Western AAA.



User was warned for this post - SpokenTruth.

Last edited by SpokenTruth - on 05 August 2020