By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49
ArchangelMadzz said:

The 2070 launched at $599. the 1070 was $379 and the 970 was $329. That's not a great trend.

While 670 and 770 both were $399. 

Nvidia doesn't have a problem to lower prices when they get more competition.

In 2014 they suddenly had a lot more competition than before by the R7 290 and R7 290 X and the new consoles.

At the end of 2020 they suddenly have a lot more competition than before by RDNA2-cards and the new consoles.

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

As I said at the moment I'm talking simply about pricing in this thread.

How much will the 3070 be in relation to the 2070?  The 2070 launched at $599. the 1070 was $379 and the 970 was $329. That's not a great trend. Hopefully the 3070 is flat price with the 2070. 

I think AMD want to keep the budget crown which is why I think RDNA 2 won't be more expensive than RDNA 1 was at launch.

In order for us to argue pricing, we need to look at performance... Cause without knowing what specs are needed to beat the next gen consoles, how are we supposed to argue pricing? If you need a 3060 to beat the Series X as an example, then there's no reason to look a 2070/3070 pricing. The 2070's MSRP is $499. If you got the Founders edition versions which are always higher priced then yea, you would pay $599 but that's your choice to pay more...

If AMD is the value brand and assuming their RDNA2 cards will be up to snuff, then it should be even lower than Nvidia's pricing. So if the 3060 will beat a Series X, then AMD's version could be priced even lower.

The main kicker for next gen GPU pricing is going to be RDNA2. When Nvidia launched their 2000 series, they had no competition hence the price increases. But for 3000 series, there will be with RDNA2. And that's why you could get more performance for a lower price since when AMD launched their RDNA1, Nvidia adjusted their pricing according (and then AMD adjusted theirs to counter).

It's hard to believe the hype for RDNA2 to be honest.

I think Nvidia's new cards are going to be ridiculous and I really don't like that I bought a 2070s last Sep cause I might just have to upgrade if it really is THAT good. 

But I've been let down way too many times by AMD's graphics division to take any rumours or PR seriously until I actually see the benchmarks.

Also if you really want to be modest and say the XSX level GPU will be £200. The XSX/PS5 PC build would still be in the £900/£1000 mark. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:

I think Nvidia's new cards are going to be ridiculous and I really don't like that I bought a 2070s last Sep cause I might just have to upgrade if it really is THAT good. 

But I've been let down way too many times by AMD's graphics division to take any rumours or PR seriously until I actually see the benchmarks.

Also if you really want to be modest and say the XSX level GPU will be £200. The XSX/PS5 PC build would still be in the £900/£1000 mark. 

RDNA2 > Ampere from the looks of it.

We can just see this from the consoles, PS5 can sustain 2,2ghz on the gpu and rdna1 with 40CU at 1.8ghz pull about 200w+. Xbox series x has 52CU at 1.8ghz. Jason Schreier also said the PS5 gpu beats the geforce 2080.

From this we can see RDNA2 has big clock improvements and ipc gains, probably some memory bandwidth effiency gains too. Ampere only offer upwards 40% performance gains with power consumption increase.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

In order for us to argue pricing, we need to look at performance... Cause without knowing what specs are needed to beat the next gen consoles, how are we supposed to argue pricing? If you need a 3060 to beat the Series X as an example, then there's no reason to look a 2070/3070 pricing. The 2070's MSRP is $499. If you got the Founders edition versions which are always higher priced then yea, you would pay $599 but that's your choice to pay more...

If AMD is the value brand and assuming their RDNA2 cards will be up to snuff, then it should be even lower than Nvidia's pricing. So if the 3060 will beat a Series X, then AMD's version could be priced even lower.

The main kicker for next gen GPU pricing is going to be RDNA2. When Nvidia launched their 2000 series, they had no competition hence the price increases. But for 3000 series, there will be with RDNA2. And that's why you could get more performance for a lower price since when AMD launched their RDNA1, Nvidia adjusted their pricing according (and then AMD adjusted theirs to counter).

AMD has been fairly competitive in their budget categories against Nvidia. It's their top tier cards that have always been the issues which is a shame T_T.

And then you would need to look at something like the CPU since just because it's an AMD 8 core 16 threads with similar frequencies doesn't mean it will perform the same as we know that things like the L3 cache has been reduced on the console versions and you have 1 core reserved for OS and etc. Then you will have these brand new SSDs coming out with reads that can do 6.5GB/s but is that even gonna matter cause of the Series X's SSD and real world performance and then you can get windows for like $20-$30 from kinguin and blah blah blah. This can be a back and forth speculation that won't matter until they all release which as a working man, I don't have time for and I am sure you have better things to do as well.

Now personally, I am not a fan of the whole idea of "Console Killer" PCs. PCs are a general purpose device vs consoles are a very much specialized device. Because of the Covid for example, I am working from home and in order for me to do that, we need to use Sonicwall's NetExtender VPN. You can't do that on a console for example. But on the other hand, you won't get the level of optimization that comes from owing a console. So for me, PC's should always have the general purpose tax for me to ever recommend one instead of one where so many corners have been cut that if you look at it the wrong way, it will slap you cross the face, fuck your wife and leave with your dog.

But at the end of the day, I think the PC parts that are on the horizon will be able to bring PCs a lot closer to the performance of the ps5 and Series X so I wouldn't count out those budget builds just yet.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Trumpstyle said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

We can just see this from the consoles, PS5 can sustain 2,2ghz on the gpu and rdna1 with 40CU at 1.8ghz pull about 200w+. Xbox series x has 52CU at 1.8ghz. Jason Schreier also said the PS5 gpu beats the geforce 2080.

From this we can see RDNA2 has big clock improvements and ipc gains, probably some memory bandwidth effiency gains too. Ampere only offer upwards 40% performance gains with power consumption increase.

I mean I'll believe it when I see it. I'll be happy, I'm planning on buying a PS5 to have alongside my PC. But I'm really not expecting a Ryzen 3rd gen of GPU's to be releasing. 

Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

AMD has been fairly competitive in their budget categories against Nvidia. It's their top tier cards that have always been the issues which is a shame T_T.

And then you would need to look at something like the CPU since just because it's an AMD 8 core 16 threads with similar frequencies doesn't mean it will perform the same as we know that things like the L3 cache has been reduced on the console versions and you have 1 core reserved for OS and etc. Then you will have these brand new SSDs coming out with reads that can do 6.5GB/s but is that even gonna matter cause of the Series X's SSD and real world performance and then you can get windows for like $20-$30 from kinguin and blah blah blah. This can be a back and forth speculation that won't matter until they all release which as a working man, I don't have time for and I am sure you have better things to do as well.

Now personally, I am not a fan of the whole idea of "Console Killer" PCs. PCs are a general purpose device vs consoles are a very much specialized device. Because of the Covid for example, I am working from home and in order for me to do that, we need to use Sonicwall's NetExtender VPN. You can't do that on a console for example. But on the other hand, you won't get the level of optimization that comes from owing a console. So for me, PC's should always have the general purpose tax for me to ever recommend one instead of one where so many corners have been cut that if you look at it the wrong way, it will slap you cross the face, fuck your wife and leave with your dog.

But at the end of the day, I think the PC parts that are on the horizon will be able to bring PCs a lot closer to the performance of the ps5 and Series X so I wouldn't count out those budget builds just yet.

The Ryzen 7 3700x will perform better in games than the Console versions as the frequency is much higher. It's just it's the only CPU with 8 zen cores with SMT, it wouldn't have been fair to pick a Ryzen 5.

I mean it was just a fun little 10 minute exercise to do, the only thing that will change between now and release is the new GPU pricing. We're not getting new CPU's, and we're going to get faster SSD's that will be more expensive etc.

It was just interesting to see that similar performance on paper for a PC was at least a 2x increase in price with a shitty motherboard, CPU Cooler and PSU that no one should buy. Even if the GPU was free the PS5 build would be mega expensive compared to the real console. 

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Trumpstyle said:

I mean I'll believe it when I see it. I'll be happy, I'm planning on buying a PS5 to have alongside my PC. But I'm really not expecting a Ryzen 3rd gen of GPU's to be releasing. 

Captain_Yuri said:

The Ryzen 7 3700x will perform better in games than the Console versions as the frequency is much higher. It's just it's the only CPU with 8 zen cores with SMT, it wouldn't have been fair to pick a Ryzen 5.

I mean it was just a fun little 10 minute exercise to do, the only thing that will change between now and release is the new GPU pricing. We're not getting new CPU's, and we're going to get faster SSD's that will be more expensive etc.

It was just interesting to see that similar performance on paper for a PC was at least a 2x increase in price with a shitty motherboard, CPU Cooler and PSU that no one should buy. Even if the GPU was free the PS5 build would be mega expensive compared to the real console. 

Actually we are getting the new Ryzen 4000 series CPUs which should release late 2020 around the times that the consoles release. The rumours say that those will have 8 cores per ccx so there shouldn't be much if any ccx to ccx latency up to 8 cores that zen 2 has which should give a pretty good performance boost. And unlike Intel, AMD actually discounts their previous gen CPUs when and even before their new gen arrives.

But yea, PC's will always have the general purpose tax and that is something I wouldn't trade for anything cause it allows me to play hentai games and nude mods and download prawn.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Actually we are getting the new Ryzen 4000 series CPUs which should release late 2020 around the times that the consoles release. The rumours say that those will have 8 cores per ccx so there shouldn't be much if any ccx to ccx latency up to 8 cores that zen 2 has which should give a pretty good performance boost. And unlike Intel, AMD actually discounts their previous gen CPUs when and even before their new gen arrives.

But yea, PC's will always have the general purpose tax and that is something I wouldn't trade for anything cause it allows me to play hentai games and nude mods and download prawn.

I forgot about Zen 3.

Man it would really be waste of money to upgrade a 2070s and 3900x a year after buying them wouldn't it... I must stay strong and refuse.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

I forgot about Zen 3.

Man it would really be waste of money to upgrade a 2070s and 3900x a year after buying them wouldn't it... I must stay strong and refuse.

Yea I wouldn't bother upgrading your setup for another year or two. Mine currently is 1080 + 3900x and I will upgrade my GPU for sure but I will keep my CPU for a while. While these consoles have fap worthy specs no doubt, they won't really get used to their full potential for 1-2 years later. Heck depending on the resolution you are targeting, you might not even need to upgrade since Lockhart is a thing.

i dont think it will be possible untill 2022.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I forgot about Zen 3.

Yea I wouldn't bother upgrading your setup for another year or two. Mine currently is 1080 + 3900x and I will upgrade my GPU for sure but I will keep my CPU for a while. While these consoles have fap worthy specs no doubt, they won't really get used to their full potential for 1-2 years later. Heck depending on the resolution you are targeting, you might not even need to upgrade since Lockhart is a thing.

I game at 1440p on my PC but unfortunately I highly doubt that will be an option. It looks like it's gonna be 1080p or 4K. And I just can't go back to 1080p so I'm going to buy a 4K monitor in a few months to mainly watch netflix on (I'll probably still game on my 1440p monitor cause high refresh rate) and have all my monitors connected to my PC whilst the 4k one will also be connected to the PS5 when that comes out. 

I just feel like XSX and PS5 would be amazing 1440p gaming machines instead of being stretched to 4k where most games that aren't racing games or shooters or cross gen titles will probably run at 30fps. (with a performance mode for 60fps  where the visuals aren't as good/ ray tracing etc.)