By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49
ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Yea I wouldn't bother upgrading your setup for another year or two. Mine currently is 1080 + 3900x and I will upgrade my GPU for sure but I will keep my CPU for a while. While these consoles have fap worthy specs no doubt, they won't really get used to their full potential for 1-2 years later. Heck depending on the resolution you are targeting, you might not even need to upgrade since Lockhart is a thing.

I game at 1440p on my PC but unfortunately I highly doubt that will be an option. It looks like it's gonna be 1080p or 4K. And I just can't go back to 1080p so I'm going to buy a 4K monitor in a few months to mainly watch netflix on (I'll probably still game on my 1440p monitor cause high refresh rate) and have all my monitors connected to my PC whilst the 4k one will also be connected to the PS5 when that comes out. 

I just feel like XSX and PS5 would be amazing 1440p gaming machines instead of being stretched to 4k where most games that aren't racing games or shooters or cross gen titles will probably run at 30fps. (with a performance mode for 60fps  where the visuals aren't as good/ ray tracing etc.) 

Yea the road to 4k is a hard one on all platforms. The 3000 series and RDNA2 cards should do a lot better at 4k but mainly their top tier ones which will require a good amount of bling bling. What Sony/MS need are their own versions of DLSS and have those upscale from 1440p. If they can do that, it would do wonders instead of chasing native.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I game at 1440p on my PC but unfortunately I highly doubt that will be an option. It looks like it's gonna be 1080p or 4K. And I just can't go back to 1080p so I'm going to buy a 4K monitor in a few months to mainly watch netflix on (I'll probably still game on my 1440p monitor cause high refresh rate) and have all my monitors connected to my PC whilst the 4k one will also be connected to the PS5 when that comes out. 

I just feel like XSX and PS5 would be amazing 1440p gaming machines instead of being stretched to 4k where most games that aren't racing games or shooters or cross gen titles will probably run at 30fps. (with a performance mode for 60fps  where the visuals aren't as good/ ray tracing etc.) 

Yea the road to 4k is a hard one on all platforms. The 3000 series and RDNA2 cards should do a lot better at 4k but mainly their top tier ones which will require a good amount of bling bling. What Sony/MS need are their own versions of DLSS and have those upscale from 1440p. If they can do that, it would do wonders instead of chasing native.

If there is an AMD equivalent of DLSS 2.0 then that would be huge but they would need time. DLSS 2.0 is a big jump from 1.0 so much so I'd probably not notice the difference in gaming. 

3000 series should have 4k sorted and hopefully RDNA2 as well but with ray tracing involved that eats into that performance on console which is why you need things like DLSS. So considering Ray Tracing is being pushed for marketing I think we'll have to wait for mid gen refreshes (if they even happen) to get 4k60 across the board.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
vivster said:
Or, you know they could just replace their GPUs and get the same experience.

It's funny how certain people always forget the biggest difference between consoles and PCs; that you can actually do things with PCs that consoles cannot do. Case in point, simple upgrades.

I can do so much more on my PC than I can do on any console.

But that's not the point, we're just talking about gaming. And not everyone has a computer that is worthwhile upgrading. So it's just looking at it of you have nothing, what should you buy and what do you want to do sort of thing. 

If someone only wants to play games and they have £1000 it would be very hard to not tell them to get a PS5/XSX and a budget laptop for study or work related things. (Although if they have the budget I would suggest a PC build any day of the week)

If someone only cares about games and doesn't care about upgrading he will buy a console, it's that simple. No reason to compare a price when there is no alternative. Same the other way around. Even if a PC is 10 times more expensive than a console but does a thing a console can't do you will still buy the PC and not the console.

Another thing you ignore in your comparison is getting a PC that is weaker than a console. If you want a gaming PC you don't have to get high midrange. You can just get a cheaper PC and upgrade later when you have the funds. There is no reason to match a console's power 1:1 if you just want to play games and are on a budget.

Which is why my recommendation as to whether get a console or PC would never be the price, but the use case.

Last edited by vivster - on 20 July 2020

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

AMD and Nvidia cards are out soon and will outdo consoles easily in the mid-range/lower budget builds. Cost is another matter :P Such is the case then you build on ever evolving technology.

In a few years these consoles will be easily overlapped with Zen 3/4, Navi 3x/4 and Nvidia's new architecture (7nm). Not to mention faster PCI-E lanes and RAM and more memory. With every new generation for GPU performance for features like raytracing, DLSS and the like, tech the gap will widen even further. Like PS4/Pro and Xbox One.. Polaris in the pro got superseded easily within the same year.

Last edited by hinch - on 20 July 2020

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Except we don't know anything about the pricing or performance... We have seen GPU generations get significant performance gains in the past while the price getting increased slightly but we have also seen shitty performance while price getting increased significantly... There's no way to tell until it releases...

I'm in full agreement. 

I'm just saying it's just more likely that the XSX equivalent desktop GPU's will be around a similar price to the equivalent GPU's in the RDNA1 lineup. Ie 6700XT launch price = 5700XT launch price. Sure it can cost £100 or £1000. But in terms of likeliness it'll be similar price points.

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

Generally, each GPU generation knocks the previous rankings down one grade. So the 5700XT would then become similar to a 6600XT or even just 6600, complete with a drop in price down to the relative performance level.

The reason why this pricedrop didn't happen last time(s) is because AMD didn't compete in the high-end market at the time, having concentrated all their ressources into the Zen architecture, and as a result NVidia could increase the prices with impunity. But now with first leaks that Big Navi would be about 40-50% faster than a 2080Ti, NVidia can't keep their prices so high, or the customers would all flock over to AMD.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 20 July 2020

Around the Network
vivster said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I can do so much more on my PC than I can do on any console.

But that's not the point, we're just talking about gaming. And not everyone has a computer that is worthwhile upgrading. So it's just looking at it of you have nothing, what should you buy and what do you want to do sort of thing. 

If someone only wants to play games and they have £1000 it would be very hard to not tell them to get a PS5/XSX and a budget laptop for study or work related things. (Although if they have the budget I would suggest a PC build any day of the week)

If someone only cares about games and doesn't care about upgrading he will buy a console, it's that simple. No reason to compare a price when there is no alternative. Same the other way around. Even if a PC is 10 times more expensive than a console but does a thing a console can't do you will still buy the PC and not the console.

Another thing you ignore in your comparison is getting a PC that is weaker than a console. If you want a gaming PC you don't have to get high midrange. You can just get a cheaper PC and upgrade later when you have the funds. There is no reason to match a console's power 1:1 if you just want to play games and are on a budget.

Which is why my recommendation as to whether get a console or PC would never be the price, but the use case.

I fully agree. It's just that console killers have always existed in the PC space, with PC gamers saying why buy a console when you can get a PC for a similar price that can do everything else a PC can do and perform similarly in games.

This thread was just to say that's probably not gonna happen this time. 

By the end of the end of the year you should be able to build a PC about £1000 that will surpass consoles in just about every way that matters. Ryzen R5 4600 with RTX 3060 / RX 6700.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm in full agreement. 

I'm just saying it's just more likely that the XSX equivalent desktop GPU's will be around a similar price to the equivalent GPU's in the RDNA1 lineup. Ie 6700XT launch price = 5700XT launch price. Sure it can cost £100 or £1000. But in terms of likeliness it'll be similar price points.

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

Generally, each GPU generation knocks the previous rankings down one grade. So the 5700XT would then become similar to a 6600XT or even just 6600, complete with a drop in price down to the relative performance level.

The reason why this pricedrop didn't happen last time(s) is because AMD didn't compete in the high-end market at the time, having concentrated all their ressources into the Zen architecture, and as a result NVidia could increase the prices with impunity. But now with first leaks that Big Navi would be about 40-50% faster than a 2080Ti, NVidia can't keep their prices so high, or the customers would all flock over to AMD.

I feel Nvidia did pull an intel with the RTX 2000 series with their pricing and effort. It could've been much more powerful at a lower price if they really wanted to so I really hope pricing is competitive this time around. 

Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It's hard to believe the hype for RDNA2 to be honest.

I think Nvidia's new cards are going to be ridiculous and I really don't like that I bought a 2070s last Sep cause I might just have to upgrade if it really is THAT good. 

But I've been let down way too many times by AMD's graphics division to take any rumours or PR seriously until I actually see the benchmarks.

Also if you really want to be modest and say the XSX level GPU will be £200. The XSX/PS5 PC build would still be in the £900/£1000 mark. 

AMD has been fairly competitive in their budget categories against Nvidia. It's their top tier cards that have always been the issues which is a shame T_T.

And then you would need to look at something like the CPU since just because it's an AMD 8 core 16 threads with similar frequencies doesn't mean it will perform the same as we know that things like the L3 cache has been reduced on the console versions and you have 1 core reserved for OS and etc. Then you will have these brand new SSDs coming out with reads that can do 6.5GB/s but is that even gonna matter cause of the Series X's SSD and real world performance and then you can get windows for like $20-$30 from kinguin and blah blah blah. This can be a back and forth speculation that won't matter until they all release which as a working man, I don't have time for and I am sure you have better things to do as well.

Now personally, I am not a fan of the whole idea of "Console Killer" PCs. PCs are a general purpose device vs consoles are a very much specialized device. Because of the Covid for example, I am working from home and in order for me to do that, we need to use Sonicwall's NetExtender VPN. You can't do that on a console for example. But on the other hand, you won't get the level of optimization that comes from owing a console. So for me, PC's should always have the general purpose tax for me to ever recommend one instead of one where so many corners have been cut that if you look at it the wrong way, it will slap you cross the face, fuck your wife and leave with your dog.

But at the end of the day, I think the PC parts that are on the horizon will be able to bring PCs a lot closer to the performance of the ps5 and Series X so I wouldn't count out those budget builds just yet.

This is why I think creating a perfect relative in terms of price on PC is almost impossible.

Let's start with the CPU for instance: 8 core, but one reserved for the OS, less cache and lower boost speed. So should the equivalent PC build use a 3700X (since 8 cores), or just a 3600X or even 3600 (to take the missing core, cache and lower speeds into account)?

Now to the SSD. What will that fast SSD really do on the PS5, especially on multiplats? My guess is that it's a great thing, but will only really be utilized in first and second party titles, causing a similar (although less pronounced) problem than what Sony had with the Cell in the PS3. So a PCI-E 3.0 NVMe SSD of the same size should suffice - or does it?

Really, the best time to see what the consoles really can do and how much an equivalent PC would cost would be shortly after launch, after the real world performance of the next gen had been tested in a couple games. Only when you know what they can achieve can you really make something equivalent in performance.

I also dislike the notion of a console killer for all the reasons you mentioned. But I also want to see how much a PC with similar performance costs and how far away that is to the cost of the consoles. If the price gap between PC and consoles for the same performance gets too big, then it will drain gamers away from the PC and to the consoles. The other way around is also true, if the consoles bring not enough tangible advantage over a gaming PC, then why not directly go to the latter? It's all an act of balance that needs to be achieved here for both to thrive.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I feel Nvidia did pull an intel with the RTX 2000 series with their pricing and effort. It could've been much more powerful at a lower price if they really wanted to so I really hope pricing is competitive this time around. 

From what I've heard is that GDDR6 was in very high demand but also very low supply, which raised the priced up a lot in 2019 and kept the prices for graphics cards high. I'm sure this problem is (mostly) gone next GPU gen, and prices can thus easily go lower this time around.