Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49

To make comparisons you have to take into account to overall cost of using the platform for its whole life cycle.
Yes, consoles are chaeper at the beginning but then you have to buy subscriptions and games are generally more expensive. If you're an "active" player and usually buy many games the intial cost of the hardware partially balances out in the long run.
Although, of course I still believe PCs are overall more expensive but considering the benefits are still a viable alternative to a console.

Around the Network
freebs2 said:

To make comparisons you have to take into account to overall cost of using the platform for its whole life cycle.
Yes, consoles are chaeper at the beginning but then you have to buy subscriptions and games are generally more expensive. If you're an "active" player and usually buy many games the intial cost of the hardware partially balances out in the long run.
Although, of course I still believe PCs are overall more expensive but considering the benefits are still a viable alternative to a console.

A) Not everyone buys subs.

B) Games are not more expensive, that has been a myth for a long time. All current games I want to buy are all significantly cheaper on PS4.

This discussion pops up every console generation and the outcome is always the same.

If you want a lower-priced entry, consoles are the way to go.
Yes you will have less graphics, less framerates, less resolution... And pay more for online/other services, accessories, games, dlc and so forth.

If you want the best experience money can buy, PC is where it is at, hardware is more expensive, but it is also superior, also more flexible as you aren't limited to JUST streaming video and playing video games, they can also be upgraded to last multiple console generations.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Random_Matt said:

B) Games are not more expensive, that has been a myth for a long time. All current games I want to buy are all significantly cheaper on PS4.

In general, console versions are still more expensive than PC versions.

The situation got better on the console side over the years (much more and earlier sales nowadays), but still not to PC levels.

Exceptions are of course games released much earlier on PS4 (Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, Red Dead Redemption 2, Detroit...)

Random_Matt said:
Might just buy a water block for my radeon VII, can get to 2080 levels. New cards are not going to give ultra 1440p/165 anyway.

You bought a Radeon VII? 

My condolences. 

PS4(PS5 Soon)and PC gaming

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Random_Matt said:
Might just buy a water block for my radeon VII, can get to 2080 levels. New cards are not going to give ultra 1440p/165 anyway.

You bought a Radeon VII? 

My condolences. 

Why? Great card, better than a 2070. Overclock and underclock it becomes a beast. No regrets whatsoever.

Random_Matt said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

You bought a Radeon VII? 

My condolences. 

Why? Great card, better than a 2070. Overclock and underclock it becomes a beast. No regrets whatsoever.

Well that's the problem, you compared it to a 2070 when it was targeted towards a 2080.

The gaming performance  is similar to a 2080 with the same launch price, whilst lacking many features, like ray tracing, DLSS and more. Nevermind that they don't have an nvenc equivalent the feature set makes it a very hard sell over a 2080 without a significant price advantage which it doesn't have. 

Lack of support for it bugged me too, and it was basically discontinued 5 months after launch due to it's incredibly expensive memory that games didn't utilise fully causing it to be a very expensive card to buy, as well as very power hungry.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Random_Matt said:

Well that's the problem, you compared it to a 2070 when it was targeted towards a 2080.

The gaming performance  is similar to a 2080 with the same launch price, whilst lacking many features, like ray tracing, DLSS and more. Nevermind that they don't have an nvenc equivalent the feature set makes it a very hard sell over a 2080 without a significant price advantage which it doesn't have. 

Lack of support for it bugged me too, and it was basically discontinued 5 months after launch due to it's incredibly expensive memory that games didn't utilise fully causing it to be a very expensive card to buy, as well as very power hungry.

I paid next to nothing, couldn't care less about comparisons.

Random_Matt said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I paid next to nothing, couldn't care less about comparisons.

You were the first to make a comparison, man. 

If you didn't pay $699 for the thing, and paid next to nothing then that's fantastic. 

The thing you have to remember is that PCs don't just kill consoles on raw horsepower. Even if consoles bring a strong price-value at launch, it's not the be-all-end-all.

Here are a few things to consider:

• The PC landscape is completely different from even just 10 years ago. Now, there are multiple library stores that make PC gaming easier and much more attractive. Digital delivery and summer sales make PC gaming a lot simpler than before, and PCs now enjoy a huge library of games that even cross consoles now. For example, I own Killer Instinct and Street Fighter V on PC, both exclusives to their own platforms. In that sense I win as a PC gamer. Of course consoles will have also pure exclusives, but more and more games are coming out on console xyz and PC because there is a good market there that doesn't necessarily cannibalize their console exclusive sales.
  • PC parts will be cheaper shortly after launch of the consoles.
  • There are many options for VR gaming, for those who are interested in that.
  • PCs offer both traditional controller support and mouse+keyboard support, making them more versatile in terms of input.
  • Gaming PCs also offer the dual functionality of serving for graphical work. For instance, if you are interested in game making rather than game playing, that becomes an option on PC, with tons of free software available to install like Unity, Blender, GIMP, GODOT, Inkscape, and music making software that allow the gaming experience to go beyond just game playing.

So I think it's actually the contrary in a sense. PCs are becoming more interesting an alternative over time.