By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49

Samsung 980 Pro, no 2TB+ option, what a bust. I'll just raid my MP600.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:

That's pretty similar to their 970 Pro drives as these are very expensive MLC ones. Their Evo series which should have similar speeds historically speaking should have 2TB (if not more). Just with TLC instead of MLC.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:
Random_Matt said:

That's pretty similar to their 970 Pro drives as these are very expensive MLC ones. Their Evo series which should have similar speeds historically speaking should have 2TB (if not more). Just with TLC instead of MLC.

You forgot the Samsung tax, they really not worth buying over the competition to be honest. Sure, they can be more expensive, but not that much more.

Random_Matt said:
Captain_Yuri said:

You forgot the Samsung tax, they really not worth buying over the competition to be honest. Sure, they can be more expensive, but not that much more.

Pretty much. Personally I buy Samsung SSDs for the OS as I never had any reliability issues with them in the past and then use others for games and etc. But most people shouldn't notice much of a difference. We just need some other vendors to start announcing their next gen SSDs.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

ArchangelMadzz said:
Pemalite said:

Well you do if you want to extend past 3 displays, that's it's real use.
That and they are fanless and often come with depreciated standards like dsub which are sometimes hard to find on some motherboard classes.

No it's not, Nvidia Quadro's (workstation GPU's) in their max SLI config can display on 16 monitors

There is no reason to have a £30 new GPU to display an extra monitor in a workstation configuration. Zero.

A scenario that will never happen:

"That's a real nice 16 monitor setup you got going there, why don't we on the cheap get a £30 new GPU which would require a PCI to Multiple PCI extender to reduce the bandwidth of one of the Quadros so that we can display a 17th monitor, oh and have driver conflicts and need a custom bios so we'll have to either hire someone to do it or commission one from our manufacturer so that we don't lose performance and have to spend days troubleshooting to even get the thing to work"

You're purposefully being difficult here, man. 

Buying a brand new GPU that is £20-30 is a complete fast of time and money, and only targets people who are trying to buy cheap builds that don't know anything about computers, that would be way better off getting a used £30 GPU that is much older.

You have seen the price of Quadro, right? This thing sells for pennies.

You wouldn't be running a Quadro in conjunction with these cards. (And many workstations often just use integrated graphics too, depending on the required workstation tasks.)
Obviously if you are buying Quadro, this GPU is likely not who you are going to be targeting it at.

At the fire station we have a workstation, industrial grade PC, but it has a Geforce 7050 PCI card in it, because that is all that is needed to run the database for firefighter check-ins. (I'm in the process of overhauling it.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

No it's not, Nvidia Quadro's (workstation GPU's) in their max SLI config can display on 16 monitors

There is no reason to have a £30 new GPU to display an extra monitor in a workstation configuration. Zero.

A scenario that will never happen:

"That's a real nice 16 monitor setup you got going there, why don't we on the cheap get a £30 new GPU which would require a PCI to Multiple PCI extender to reduce the bandwidth of one of the Quadros so that we can display a 17th monitor, oh and have driver conflicts and need a custom bios so we'll have to either hire someone to do it or commission one from our manufacturer so that we don't lose performance and have to spend days troubleshooting to even get the thing to work"

You're purposefully being difficult here, man. 

Buying a brand new GPU that is £20-30 is a complete fast of time and money, and only targets people who are trying to buy cheap builds that don't know anything about computers, that would be way better off getting a used £30 GPU that is much older.

You have seen the price of Quadro, right? This thing sells for pennies.

You wouldn't be running a Quadro in conjunction with these cards. (And many workstations often just use integrated graphics too, depending on the required workstation tasks.)
Obviously if you are buying Quadro, this GPU is likely not who you are going to be targeting it at.

At the fire station we have a workstation, industrial grade PC, but it has a Geforce 7050 PCI card in it, because that is all that is needed to run the database for firefighter check-ins. (I'm in the process of overhauling it.)

I think you're confused at what a workstation PC means.

"workstation is a special computer designed for technical or scientific applications" Which is why I used the example of Quadros, as those are for workstations.

Also, onboard graphics is more than enough to do that.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I honestly think Xbox series x will be cheaper and at a loss since the series x is not the main platform of Xbox anymore, that;s game pass and they need people to get to game pass as much as possible

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

my current PC build from earlier this year currently kills next gen now.. it's the price of admission if you want a gaming pc. All i'm waiting for is the 3 series TI... cannot wait.

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

CGI-Quality said:
BillyBong said:
my current PC build from earlier this year currently kills next gen now.. 

Well, all except the PS5's NVMe, of course. Still, I'm curious.... what are you working with?

yea, that's the only thing right now..the ps5's ssd tech, but fortunately for me, in regards to ps5 exclusives that'll truly take advantage of this tech, I'll most likely have a ps5 too to cover that.  PC I'm currently rocking:

Gigabyte Z170x mobo with mod bios

I7-8700k CPU

Noctua nh-d15s CPU cooler

32gb G.skill trident z 3200mhz ddr4 cl15

EVGA RTX2080ti XC Ultra

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

I don't worry about the power gap at all, even if pc can't catch up on time, they will in the future and it will not harm pc gaming propably even push the power faster. if the ssd will make a difference then this change in game design will change slowly over time and those fast nvme of right now, could actually be useful. in the last weeks there were sales on nvme and after seeing benchmarks, there weren't any real life improvements over my sata besides copying files, so I passed on that.

right now I have a rx 580 with a 1080p monitor and tv, both will not be changed for some years, so I don't really need that huge power jump for 4k. then the next logical upgrade would be a 1440p monitor, so still no need for pc able to push 4k. on the tv side of things, if I follow those seat distance tables recommendations I would need to upgrade from my 42 inch tv to 55+ to see the difference in 4k, even if get an smaller 4k tv, I still could game with 1440p on it. then there are things like nvidia dlss, there was a test in which death stranding with dlss looked sharper than 4k native and only needed a fraction of the power.