By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49
Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

You were the first to make a comparison, man. 

If you didn't pay $699 for the thing, and paid next to nothing then that's fantastic. 

No such thing as a bad GPU, only a bad price.

The Geforce GT 710 begs to differ.

Someone should pay you, to use that card. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Pemalite said:

No such thing as a bad GPU, only a bad price.

Good card for digital signage or throwing in extra monitors on a workstation.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

We already know way more about the Series X, your price comparisons are ridiculous.

We already know the XSX is 52 CUs, 30 percent larger and faster than at minimum than the 5700 XT. It's more like a 2080 Super than a 5700 XT.

Alistair said:
We already know way more about the Series X, your price comparisons are ridiculous.

We already know the XSX is 52 CUs, 30 percent larger and faster than at minimum than the 5700 XT. It's more like a 2080 Super than a 5700 XT.

I think he is comparing it to the replacement of the 5700xt that is coming up. while he dosent know the price, he is asuming that is coming at around the same price, or saying that the card that takes that price range from rdna2 is gona compete with the consoles.

Regardless, they are saying now that the 3080 is 20% faster than a 2080ti. If thats the case I highly doubt nvidea is gona drop prices, but they are gona be a big jump in power. So the consoles will probably sit somewhere between a 3070-3080. If their prices keep we are talking about at minimun a $500 card. the price of a full console for the gpu alone and probably more.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

At the end of the day it really depends whether money is an issue or not. PCs will always be superior if you throw enough money at them. I bought myself a laptop in 2018 that is faster than both PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. It cost me north of a thousand bucks, but I say it was well worth it.

I'm pretty certain there won't be any major changes next gen. Sure, the SSD tech in the PS5 is impressive, but I think PCs will catch up rather quickly. When it comes to CPUs and GPUs, PCs are already faster than both new consoles. If you're willing to pay the price. But as gaming is my main hobby, I am willing to spend a lot on hardware.

At the end of the day I really don't care too much. I will get myself a PS5 and a new PC anyway. Best of both worlds. Luckily I don't need an Xbox because all games from there will be available on PC anyway.

That said, I really like the options I have on PC. I'm a framerate fetishist. If a game runs with 30 fps @ 1080p, I will turn the resolution down to 720p to get myself dem sweet 60 fps. I will probably never have that possibility on a console. I'm stuck with whatever the developer dictates me. Because of that, it doesn't really matter how much power is inside the machine as long as I can't tune the settings to my personal preferences.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Around the Network
Random_Matt said:
freebs2 said:

To make comparisons you have to take into account to overall cost of using the platform for its whole life cycle.
Yes, consoles are chaeper at the beginning but then you have to buy subscriptions and games are generally more expensive. If you're an "active" player and usually buy many games the intial cost of the hardware partially balances out in the long run.
Although, of course I still believe PCs are overall more expensive but considering the benefits are still a viable alternative to a console.

A) Not everyone buys subs.

B) Games are not more expensive, that has been a myth for a long time. All current games I want to buy are all significantly cheaper on PS4.

A.) I know I don't play online very often myself and when I do, I play on PC. If you have to make comparisons you have to make one-to-one compariaons, if you have to codmpare apples and oranges the whole topic doesn't make sense.

B.) Having both a Ps4 and PC I can assure I can pratically always get better deals on PC (sometimes by a good margin) and prices of new games generally decrease faster than on console. 

Last edited by freebs2 - on 22 July 2020

OdinHades said:
Sure, the SSD tech in the PS5 is impressive, but I think PCs will catch up rather quickly.

If you want a fast SSD you can get same or better on PC now, even if it isn't exactly the norm.
The area where it might catch up is in controller but that goes along with software stack to negotiate that access granularity.
I don't see that happening on PC for several reasons, but I'd be obliged if you could share specific developments in that regard.
If anything, I see PC compensating in other direction by just increasing RAM further, which may approximate similar outcome.
If games can fully leverage PS4 I/O that cultivates market for such game design, which large (V)RAM + SSD may roughly match.

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Workstation cards have no problem with monitor amounts.

And a lower end intel CPU would be better for digital signage and more cost effective due to being a CPU and GPU under one die. You wouldn't really have an actual PCI graphics card for those things. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Pemalite said:

And a lower end intel CPU would be better for digital signage and more cost effective due to being a CPU and GPU under one die. You wouldn't really have an actual PCI graphics card for those things. 

Well you do if you want to extend past 3 displays, that's it's real use.
That and they are fanless and often come with depreciated standards like dsub which are sometimes hard to find on some motherboard classes.

mutantsushi said:
OdinHades said:
Sure, the SSD tech in the PS5 is impressive, but I think PCs will catch up rather quickly.

If you want a fast SSD you can get same or better on PC now, even if it isn't exactly the norm.
The area where it might catch up is in controller but that goes along with software stack to negotiate that access granularity.
I don't see that happening on PC for several reasons, but I'd be obliged if you could share specific developments in that regard.
If anything, I see PC compensating in other direction by just increasing RAM further, which may approximate similar outcome.
If games can fully leverage PS4 I/O that cultivates market for such game design, which large (V)RAM + SSD may roughly match.

There will be SSD's faster than what the next-gen consoles have before next-gen consoles launch.
There will be GPU's that are faster than the next-gen consoles, before the next-gen consoles launch.
There will be CPU's that are faster than the next-gen consoles, before the next-gen consoles launch.
There will be Ram capacities that are more capacious, faster and lower latency before the next-gen consoles launch.

As long as consoles pinch and borrow PC technology, they will always be a step behind the PC because the PC is constantly improving, has higher thermal and power ceilings. It never stops improving as a platform, there is always something better around the corner... And I think many console gamers fail to realize this aspect of the PC market.
Last gen gamers were saying that because a PC didn't have "8GB of GDDR5 Ram" that the Playstation 4 was a superior console over PC, history says very differently and the PC kept and retained the overall technological edge even if it didn't have 8GB of GDDR5 memory, just replace GDDR5 with SSD, just a different buzzword, different day.

Take for example... The Samsung 980 Pro with read and write speeds of 6.5GB/s and 5GB/s respectively... And that is launching at the end of next month... And there are SSD's even faster than that which are still to come before the next-gen consoles drop.

You also have PCI-E SSD's like the Gigabyte Aorus Gen 4 SSD which leverages a full 16x PCI-E 4.0 slot to offer 15GB/s read/write performance and 8 Terabytes worth of storage, absolutely nuts... But expect to pay for it. Allot... But without a doubt it obliterates any console storage today or tomorrow.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Well you do if you want to extend past 3 displays, that's it's real use.
That and they are fanless and often come with depreciated standards like dsub which are sometimes hard to find on some motherboard classes.

No it's not, Nvidia Quadro's (workstation GPU's) in their max SLI config can display on 16 monitors

There is no reason to have a £30 new GPU to display an extra monitor in a workstation configuration. Zero.

A scenario that will never happen:

"That's a real nice 16 monitor setup you got going there, why don't we on the cheap get a £30 new GPU which would require a PCI to Multiple PCI extender to reduce the bandwidth of one of the Quadros so that we can display a 17th monitor, oh and have driver conflicts and need a custom bios so we'll have to either hire someone to do it or commission one from our manufacturer so that we don't lose performance and have to spend days troubleshooting to even get the thing to work"

You're purposefully being difficult here, man. 

Buying a brand new GPU that is £20-30 is a complete fast of time and money, and only targets people who are trying to buy cheap builds that don't know anything about computers, that would be way better off getting a used £30 GPU that is much older.