By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49

The thing is on PC is that we have options and ability to customize them to run games. Plus different setups with different display resolutions etc.

It will be a long while before most game devs change their engines to support the new features of next gen, that makes us of new hardware.

That and the constant new GPU features like DLSS, RiS and high quality TAA which already destroys performance on next gen consoles on games that implement it.

We can brute force resolutions and FPS to sky high that would make most console only gamers blush. Like running games at 8k with DLSS. Or 4k at over 120FPS on Death Stranding.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
BillyBong said:

yea, that's the only thing right now..the ps5's ssd tech, but fortunately for me, in regards to ps5 exclusives that'll truly take advantage of this tech, I'll most likely have a ps5 too to cover that.  PC I'm currently rocking:

Gigabyte Z170x mobo with mod bios

I7-8700k CPU

Noctua nh-d15s CPU cooler

32gb G.skill trident z 3200mhz ddr4 cl15

EVGA RTX2080ti XC Ultra

You rockin' SSD? HDD?

I got 5 hds internally on this PC.  OS is on NVME 500tb 970 plus.  Then i have a 2tb and 1tb 870 SSD for games and stuff.   1 4tb and 1 2tb hdd for backups, etc. 

Man.. I hate it when your girl has to leave my place to come back to you..

BillyBong said:
CGI-Quality said:

Well, all except the PS5's NVMe, of course. Still, I'm curious.... what are you working with?

yea, that's the only thing right now..the ps5's ssd tech, but fortunately for me, in regards to ps5 exclusives that'll truly take advantage of this tech, I'll most likely have a ps5 too to cover that.  PC I'm currently rocking:

Gigabyte Z170x mobo with mod bios

I7-8700k CPU

Noctua nh-d15s CPU cooler

32gb G.skill trident z 3200mhz ddr4 cl15

EVGA RTX2080ti XC Ultra

Everytime I see a high-end pc user still wanna own a console I consider a win for us console gamers. Their pc machine just isn't good enough :)

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Based on rumors we can now guess the specs of the high end cards:

Big Navi (Rdna2)
80 CU's
512-bit bus, 16GB Vram
tsmc 7nm (No euv), 505mm die size

Geforce 3090/3080 ti (Ampere)
~5248 Gpu cores
384-bit bus, 12GB Gddr6x Vram
Samsung 8nm, 627mm2 die size
40% faster than geforce 2080 ti

The surprise here is that Nvidias Gpus will indeed be released this year and even before Amds cards, but Rdna2 will almost certainly beat Ampere in Perf/W and Perf/mm2. I dont wanna declare victory for us console gamers just yet, we should w8 intill release for confirmation.

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

Trumpstyle said:

Based on rumors we can now guess the specs of the high end cards:

Big Navi
80 CU's
512-bit bus, 16GB Vram
tsmc 7nm (No euv), 505mm die size

Geforce 3090/3080 ti
~5248 Gpu cores
384-bit bus, 12GB Gddr6x Vram
Samsung 8nm, 627mm2 die size
40% faster than geforce 2080 ti

The surprise here is that Nvidias Gpus will indeed be released this year and even before Amds cards, but Rdna2 will almost certainly beat Ampere in Perf/W and Perf/mm2. I dont wanna declare victory for us console gamers just yet, we should w8 intill release for confirmation.

Sorry what does AMD GPUs winning against Nvidia in PCs have to do with console gamers being victorious?

And yea you really should wait cause you know... AMD hasn't won in the GPU space in a long time...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Trumpstyle said:

Everytime I see a high-end pc user still wanna own a console I consider a win for us console gamers. Their pc machine just isn't good enough :)

Or you just have a narrow way of looking things. 

What can a PC user do about owning PS4/Switch games? Well, they can enjoy their PC while still wanting to play the best games certain consoles have to offer exclusively on those platforms. That is clearly a case of business and much, much less a case of capability. 

It's just a lot easier to own a Switch/PS4 pro and play all your games their, you don't need to hassle with upgrades or building a pc. You save some money and time, ofc their's exception like you really wanna play third-party games at 60fps or you into twitch/streaming. But if we get 60fps for all games next-gen on console another argument for PC goes away.

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 26 July 2020

Trumpstyle said:

I've been a console gamer way before ive ever been serious about pc gaming.  My build was strictly due to my laptop not having enough horse power for some gaming and the fact that I never had the money or ambition to build a true gaming PC before.. so I built one late last year/early this year.  Not sure how you got what you got out of that..

and just from my own experience lately.. ive been gaming much more on PC than on my PS4.  But that doesn't stop me from enjoying and buying games like TLOU2 or GOT either.  

I could flip what you just said and say the console wasn't good enough, thus me building a high end pc.. but that'd be false too.  I game.. could care less where its on.  hell.. i have xbox one controllers just to play on PC because i'm still uncomfortable using WASD for movement versus analog sticks.

Trumpstyle said:

It's just a lot easier to own a Switch/PS4 pro and play all your games their, you don't need to hassle with upgrades or building a pc. You save some money and time, ofc their's exception like you really wanna play third-party games at 60fps or you into twitch/streaming. But if we get 60fps for all games next-gen on console another argument for PC goes away.

Nothing like a blown mind when you play 60fps console games at 120+fps on High/Ultra settings on PC.  

Wanted to mention.. played and beat Horizon on PS4 a while back, and as beautiful as the game was.. I can't wait to go back into on PC at 1440p and all settings high in August.

Last edited by BillyBong - on 26 July 2020

This is the 'console killing' PC that Sony/MS should be worried about.

Nintendo has been fighting this battle for generations and has now successfully defended and rebounded against the new challenger while Sony's first line of defence has already fallen and MS's attempts to defend were cut through like butter. They left MS so dizzy they're still trying to find their feet.

As the new kid gets stronger, Nintendo mustn't lose focus and MS/Sony have to prepare for a fight where they've lost every battle so far.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Pyro as Bill said:

This is the 'console killing' PC that Sony/MS should be worried about.

Nintendo has been fighting this battle for generations and has now successfully defended and rebounded against the new challenger while Sony's first line of defence has already fallen and MS's attempts to defend were cut through like butter. They left MS so dizzy they're still trying to find their feet.

As the new kid gets stronger, Nintendo mustn't lose focus and MS/Sony have to prepare for a fight where they've lost every battle so far.

Are you suggesting that phones will kill consoles in the future?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850