By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49
hinch said:
Pyro as Bill said:

Portable and home are totally different experiences until you put your phone in the dock and connect a BT controller.

Nintendo knows how to make the difference more than just a big or small screen. Motion control, local multiplayer, splitscreen, whatever tf Labo is etc

And how many people are willing to do that? Maybe 0.000000001% of users. I can't see kids/young adults buying $500 smartphones+dock and controller to play the latest games. They'll just buy a console and plug it into a TV or play on a cheap laptop. Likewise the average consumer who want to play full fledged video games won't even think to play on smartphones. Activition made 1 billion US on Call of Duty: Modern Warfare last year. The market for games on consoles is growing.

So yeah the big three players have their own business plan

Microsoft have made their strategy with Game Pass and its working for them. Offering a tonne of content for a small fee and and they will release Xbox Series X/S/2 so long as people sub it makes them money.

Sony makes a lot of money of PS Plus, consoles sales and software and its working for them.

Nintendo makes a mega tonne off software and hardware too. They have their own niche and I can't see them going away even in 100 years time.

Smartphones aren't replacing anything. No not even PC's, people need those for you know for work.

Anyway not sure where this is going.. this have nothing to do with console killing PC's xD

Who said anything about a $500 smartphone?

How much is Dad's old phone from 2 years ago? Can it play Minecraft? Is there a simple dock/controller add-on?

We already have 'old' smartphones scattered around the house that aren't phones anymore but are used for music/youtube/Netflix/HDMI-out/Minecraft. Without system selling content, Sony/MS are forced to gamble on new graphics tech every 5 years to stay relevant and hope the consumer appreciates the extra pixels.

What happens when 16 or 8 or even 4K TVs don't become mainstream?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
hinch said:

Smartphones aren't replacing anything. No not even PC's, people need those for you know for work.

Anyway not sure where this is going.. this have nothing to do with console killing PC's xD

Who killed Sony's HH?

A console killing PC will be super accessible, convenient, affordable compared to past or current desktops ie a smartphone.

Well today. Vita didn't have a ongoing niche. It wasn't a good product and Nintendo dominated the market with 3DS.

But yeah, moving on. Really offtopic now.

hinch said:

Well today. Vita didn't have a ongoing niche. It wasn't a good product and Nintendo dominated the market with 3DS.

But yeah, moving on. Really offtopic now.

Smartphones are PCs.

You basic argument is smartphone killing consoles is is the Vita failing. And somehow connect that to Sony/Microsoft downfall (in particular). Smartphone gaming and consoles gaming do not coincide with each other. If that was the case Nintendo should be worried as well since their main platform is a closer to that of a handheld/smartphone without the rest of the phone. There has been nothing to back up your claim that smartphones have any effect on consoles so nope not going to indulge you by going around in circles.

Anyway I said I was done two times, please stop quoting me.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:

I think you're confused at what a workstation PC means.

"workstation is a special computer designed for technical or scientific applications" Which is why I used the example of Quadros, as those are for workstations.

Also, onboard graphics is more than enough to do that.

Nope. I am not confused by what it means.

And just because a product sells to a certain demographic, doesn't mean you cannot use/buy a product from a different market segment, really depends on what the company/business/organizations tender detailing is.

Case in point... The fire station workstation, It is based around LGA 1366 which is a workstation socket backed up by a Xeon EC5509 and Geforce 7050 PCI.

And you are correct, on-board graphics is more than enough for that, but how many LGA 1366/2011/LGA2011-3/LGA2066/SP3 sockets had integrated graphics on the CPU or motherbaords chipset or otherwise? Those are all workstation sockets.

Plus we are at a point now where it seems more CPU lines are dropping integrated graphics, AMD for instance has all it's CPU's without integrated graphics and has a separate line denominated as "G/APU" with that built in capability, Intel is going down the same path...

It's not like Socket AM3+ where you could get a motherboard with an 880G chipset and thus it didn't matter what CPU you bought, you had access to a Radeon 4250 IGP.

Pyro as Bill said:

What happens when 16 or 8 or even 4K TVs don't become mainstream?

I would argue 4k is already mainstream, it's actually difficult not to find a 4k TV for sale at any price point except for the ultra entry-level which is sometimes still littered with the occasional 720P panel, but mostly bargain basement no-name brand 1080P panels.

They are also often only 6-bit displays with FRC to "pretend" they are 8-bit, the colour crush can be pretty bad for games, but okay for regular TV signals with highly compressed interlaced feeds.

8k and 16k I think will take awhile to gain traction, their usefulness though will come into play when the average mid-range TV size extends past 60" and into 80-90" territory... And for that to happen a few technologies need to come into their own.

hinch said:

You basic argument is smartphone killing consoles is is the Vita failing. And somehow connect that to Sony/Microsoft downfall (in particular). Smartphone gaming and consoles gaming do not coincide with each other. If that was the case Nintendo should be worried as well since their main platform is a closer to that of a handheld/smartphone without the rest of the phone. There has been nothing to back up your claim that smartphones have any effect on consoles so nope not going to indulge you by going around in circles.

Anyway I said I was done two times, please stop quoting me.

I don't believe a product segment ever wipes out another, we just reach a point where a successive product just isn't worth the investment... Which is why the Vita and 3DS didn't light the sales charts on fire.

And sometimes you have individuals who will buy a device to consolidate a few others.

But if you build a device that differentiates itself significantly enough and provides something compelling to consumers, case in point... Switch. - Then you will shift hardware, many Switch owners do own other devices like Phones, Tablets, Playstations, PC's, but the Switch itself can supplement all of those as it has experiences that cant be obtained elsewhere.

Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo are all here to stay, they have some smart individuals running their respective shows and will adapt to the market rather quickly and take onboard constructive criticism which is healthy to keep competition alive.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Captain_Yuri said:
Trumpstyle said:

Based on rumors we can now guess the specs of the high end cards:

Big Navi
80 CU's
512-bit bus, 16GB Vram
tsmc 7nm (No euv), 505mm die size

Geforce 3090/3080 ti
~5248 Gpu cores
384-bit bus, 12GB Gddr6x Vram
Samsung 8nm, 627mm2 die size
40% faster than geforce 2080 ti

The surprise here is that Nvidias Gpus will indeed be released this year and even before Amds cards, but Rdna2 will almost certainly beat Ampere in Perf/W and Perf/mm2. I dont wanna declare victory for us console gamers just yet, we should w8 intill release for confirmation.

Sorry what does AMD GPUs winning against Nvidia in PCs have to do with console gamers being victorious?

And yea you really should wait cause you know... AMD hasn't won in the GPU space in a long time...

I'm more flabbergasted that he even thinks this is some sort of state that is going to be locked down for an entire gen. Like what "victory"?, and even then, it would be a short lived one at that, since PC hw ends up changing rather quickly over time.

See this is why I hate Era and Gaf, because it breeds this stupid console warring mentality, where price/parts are seen as battle ammo, leading to supposed "wins/victories" over something else. It's incredibly dumb and narrow minded. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Sorry what does AMD GPUs winning against Nvidia in PCs have to do with console gamers being victorious?

And yea you really should wait cause you know... AMD hasn't won in the GPU space in a long time...

I'm more flabbergasted that he even thinks this is some sort of state that is going to be locked down for an entire gen. Like what "victory"?, and even then, it would be a short lived one at that, since PC hw ends up changing rather quickly over time.

See this is why I hate Era and Gaf, because it breeds this stupid console warring mentality, where price/parts are seen as battle ammo, leading to supposed "wins/victories" over something else. It's incredibly dumb and narrow minded. 

Pretty much. Gotta turn everything into a war loll

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Captain_Yuri said:

In this gen, the PS4 gpu was already old when released and costed maybe $150. This time the gpu in Ps5 will probably be worth around $400 and it's unlikely we will see a maxwell moment where pc leaps ahead in performance by much. Advanced is also slowing down, like we can expect 3090/3080 ti be ahead about 80% against pascal high-end. That's 80% performance increase in 4 years.

Look at god of war and The last of us 2, PC can barely keep up. Next-gen by not lagging so far behind PC, we will be graphics king and we will have the best Price/Performance.

Are you a Pc-user or a console gamer?

CGI-Quality said:

Trumpstyle said:

It's just a lot easier to own a Switch/PS4 pro and play all your games their, you don't need to hassle with upgrades or building a pc. You save some money and time, ofc their's exception like you really wanna play third-party games at 60fps or you into twitch/streaming. But if we get 60fps for all games next-gen on console another argument for PC goes away.

Building a PC is simple for many, but we'll just speak about me. The deed is already done, while I also own both of those devices. 

Next, I have to wonder if you are joking with some of your posts... I already play most games at a far higher framerate than 60fps. Many are like me. How would every game being 60fps on consoles next gen (hint: it won't even be close to every) be an argument against a device that, once again, can do better?

Well for me 60fps is good enough, I haven't actually tried higher fps, maybe in the old days when we had those bulky big monitors, I think they were called CRT-monitors. But I don't remember how it felt playing back then. But I will probably remember this comment by you as I can probably have some fun with it in the future :)

BillyBong said:
Trumpstyle said:

Everytime I see a high-end pc user still wanna own a console I consider a win for us console gamers. Their pc machine just isn't good enough :)

I've been a console gamer way before ive ever been serious about pc gaming.  My build was strictly due to my laptop not having enough horse power for some gaming and the fact that I never had the money or ambition to build a true gaming PC before.. so I built one late last year/early this year.  Not sure how you got what you got out of that..

and just from my own experience lately.. ive been gaming much more on PC than on my PS4.  But that doesn't stop me from enjoying and buying games like TLOU2 or GOT either.  

I could flip what you just said and say the console wasn't good enough, thus me building a high end pc.. but that'd be false too.  I game.. could care less where its on.  hell.. i have xbox one controllers just to play on PC because i'm still uncomfortable using WASD for movement versus analog sticks.

We are the opposite, only played 2 games on Xbox 360 (Gta 5 and Halo 4). It was when bought geforce 1070 where I couldn't play watch dogs 2 at 60 fps at 1440p I got annoyed, ofc several other things too. When I was planning to upgrade to a i7-7700k, I thought why I'm spending all this money on pc-parts when I can just buy PS4 pro and never have to update again was when I got a console.

It was a little difficult getting into console gaming, barely played anything the first year. Games require you to be able to quickly to press any random 12+ buttons quickly at times and console games has a lot more blurs and greyness that ruins games. My first game on PS4 pro was uncharted 4 I actually got dizzy first time I played it, but not second time or any other games.

Next-gen I want more 60fps games with no blurs or greyness, that would enhance the gaming experience a lot.

Last edited by Trumpstyle - on 27 July 2020

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

DLSS is game changing tech and next gen consoles ain't going to have it. Same for any advanced ray tracing.