By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49
Trumpstyle said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Sorry what does AMD GPUs winning against Nvidia in PCs have to do with console gamers being victorious?

And yea you really should wait cause you know... AMD hasn't won in the GPU space in a long time...

In this gen, the PS4 gpu was already old when released and costed maybe $150. This time the gpu in Ps5 will probably be worth around $400 and it's unlikely we will see a maxwell moment where pc leaps ahead in performance by much. Advanced is also slowing down, like we can expect 3090/3080 ti be ahead about 80% against pascal high-end. That's 80% performance increase in 4 years.

Look at god of war and The last of us 2, PC can barely keep up. Next-gen by not lagging so far behind PC, we will be graphics king and we will have the best Price/Performance.

Are you a Pc-user or a console gamer?

Do you have any actual proof or are you saying nonsense? Also that doesn't answer my question.

What do you mean by PC can barely keep up? We have seen the requirements that Horizon Zero Dawn (which really isn't much at all) needs on steam to run and being open world, that is probably more demanding than both you listed. Of course, we would have to wait and see if Sony were to actually ports those to come to a final conclusion.

I am both. I own a gaming PC, PS4 and Switch. (Sorry Xbox users) Why do you ask?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Around the Network
numberwang said:
DLSS is game changing tech and next gen consoles ain't going to have it. Same for any advanced ray tracing.

DLSS even in it's only second iteration is so close to native 4k (from 1440p) that it most definitely will be the future. And the fact that Nvidia use the tensor cores in the RTX GPU's means that it might need to be a hardware accelerated thing, so hopefully these consoles have something capable of patching it in in a firmware update somewhere down the line.

Or you maybe have to wait until a mid gen refresh if there is one of those, as these consoles just won't be powerful enough (technology limitation really) to have the graphic fidelity people are expecting AND ray tracing AND 4k AND 60fps all at the same time.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:

DLSS even in it's only second iteration is so close to native 4k (from 1440p) that it most definitely will be the future. And the fact that Nvidia use the tensor cores in the RTX GPU's means that it might need to be a hardware accelerated thing, so hopefully these consoles have something capable of patching it in in a firmware update somewhere down the line.

Or you maybe have to wait until a mid gen refresh if there is one of those, as these consoles just won't be powerful enough (technology limitation really) to have the graphic fidelity people are expecting AND ray tracing AND 4k AND 60fps all at the same time.

Yes, I'm sure the 2 of the big 3 will contact Nvidia personally, to ask for their PC tech to be patched into their AMD built consoles, which Nvidia gets no money from...

It's not that simple, and for another, that's up to AMD to deliver on their own form of DLSS and even then, this is Nvidia's second iteration of it, so whatever consoles can whip up from their first version, Nvidia will be on it's third version.

Last edited by Chazore - on 27 July 2020

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Chazore said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

Yes, I'm sure the 2 of the big 3 will contact Nvidia personally, to ask for their PC tech to be patched into their AMD built consoles, which Nvidia gets no money from...

It's not that simple, and for another, that's up to AMD to deliver on their own form of DLSS and even then, this is Nvidia's second iteration of it, so whatever consoles can whip up from their first version, Nvidia will be on it's third version.

Oh there was confusion, I could've written that better. I didn't mean for Nvidia to put it into the consoles.

I meant I hope AMD make their own version of AI upscaling that they can put in the new consoles as a firmware patch, rather than having to wait for it to be added in a mid gen refresh. 

But yes I agree, DLSS 3.0 will be much better than AMD's first iteration of AI Upscaling.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Chazore said:

Oh there was confusion, I could've written that better. I didn't mean for Nvidia to put it into the consoles.

I meant I hope AMD make their own version of AI upscaling that they can put in the new consoles as a firmware patch, rather than having to wait for it to be added in a mid gen refresh. 

But yes I agree, DLSS 3.0 will be much better than AMD's first iteration of AI Upscaling.

looks like sony just files a patent for their own version. But it seems like a sony thing. Maybe AMD has another version and sony and MS are adding some sseparate enhancements to it. Who knows, maybe there will be something at launch. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

PC isn't dead, PC HW market is slow, as once they buy a PC, most users are fine for a long time, but the existing user base is huge, and slowly growing too. PC power users is a much smaller niche, this is true, but games don't require those configs to run, otherwise they wouldn't run on consoles at all.
What could actually happen in PC market is a shift to cheaper Android machines for many home users, leaving x86 and Windows the leadership only in workplace PC's market (but many new companies without x86 and Windows legacy could switch to a cheaper platform too).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
PC isn't dead, PC HW market is slow, as once they buy a PC, most users are fine for a long time, but the existing user base is huge, and slowly growing too. PC power users is a much smaller niche, this is true, but games don't require those configs to run, otherwise they wouldn't run on consoles at all.
What could actually happen in PC market is a shift to cheaper Android machines for many home users, leaving x86 and Windows the leadership only in workplace PC's market (but many new companies without x86 and Windows legacy could switch to a cheaper platform too).

I too like to make arguments against things no one's said. 

ArchangelMadzz said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I too like to make arguments against things no one's said. 

I should have expanded: as long as PC isn't dead in general, neither is dead as PC competitor. The reason why building a PC with equivalent specs to next gen consoles is so expensive is that AMD builds APUs with those specs only for consoles, PC APUS lack controllers for GDDR, so PC mobos too don't support GDDR onboard. This will delay the moment when a cheap PC will be competitive with next gen consoles to when it will be possible to build them either with faster APUs and fast enough DDR become cheaper or, better, with former mid-high-end discrete CPUs and GPUs become cheaper mid-range. Up until then affordable PC will be a competitor platform suitable for any gamer that needs to be a PC users for other purposes and finds its gaming performances enough, while full-specced gaming PCs will be niche competitors. But this doesn't make gaming PC dead, it just delays the moment it can become really competitive again, but its others uses and legacy and less power-hungry new games will keep it alive. On the games front, except for the most demanding AAA titles, devs, and even more publishers, will keep in mind the power of the average gaming PC, whatever it be, when deciding minimum and mid-settings HW requirements.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ArchangelMadzz said:

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

Well,

GTX 1080 Founders Edition: $699 MSRP

RTX 2080 Founders Edition: $799 MSRP

RTX 3080 Founders Edition: $699 MSRP

GTX 1070 Founders Edition: $449 MSRP

RTX 2070 Founders Edition: $599 MSRP

RTX 3070 Founders Edition: $499 MSRP

Conina said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

Well,

GTX 1080 Founders Edition: $699 MSRP

RTX 2080 Founders Edition: $799 MSRP

RTX 3080 Founders Edition: $699 MSRP

GTX 1070 Founders Edition: $449 MSRP

RTX 2070 Founders Edition: $599 MSRP

RTX 3070 Founders Edition: $499 MSRP

I still cannot believe Founders Edition is MSRP. Are we living in an alternative universe or what?

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850