By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Will 'Console Killer' PC's be dead for next gen?

(Random thought) Considering this thread, which Console do you think will be cheaper?

Playstation 5 16 32.65%

Xbox Series X 10 20.41%

Same Launch Price 23 46.94%

Total:49

Yes, other forums are at war about who is lying. But it is all semantics at the end of the day, claiming it is RDNA 2 is still passable.

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

Except we don't know anything about the pricing or performance... We have seen GPU generations get significant performance gains in the past while the price getting increased slightly but we have also seen shitty performance while price getting increased significantly... There's no way to tell until it releases...

I'm in full agreement. 

I'm just saying it's just more likely that the XSX equivalent desktop GPU's will be around a similar price to the equivalent GPU's in the RDNA1 lineup. Ie 6700XT launch price = 5700XT launch price. Sure it can cost £100 or £1000. But in terms of likeliness it'll be similar price points.

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

We have seen jumps like the 980Ti go to 1070 with the MSRP of $379 and 980 go to 1060 which has an MSRP of $250. The rumour mills say that a 3070 should be able to perform 95% of what the 2080 Ti can perform.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-ampere-gpu-rtx-30-series-performance-specs-q4-2020-launch-rumor/

As MS themselves compared in their Gears of War 5 benchmark for the series X to a 2080, if we assume that is what MS is targeting since they could have pitted the series X against the 2080 Ti as well, for all we know, you would need a 3060 to beat the Series X and something lower to beat the Ps5.

But without actual numbers and pricing, it's hard to tell...

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Using an old gen game for XSX, brilliant MS, brilliant.

Or, you know they could just replace their GPUs and get the same experience.

It's funny how certain people always forget the biggest difference between consoles and PCs; that you can actually do things with PCs that consoles cannot do. Case in point, simple upgrades. Comparing the prices of consoles with PC is like comparing the prices of mp3 players with smartphones.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Captain_Yuri said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

I'm in full agreement. 

I'm just saying it's just more likely that the XSX equivalent desktop GPU's will be around a similar price to the equivalent GPU's in the RDNA1 lineup. Ie 6700XT launch price = 5700XT launch price. Sure it can cost £100 or £1000. But in terms of likeliness it'll be similar price points.

New Nvidia 3000 cards will probably cost more than the 2000 series though. 

We have seen jumps like the 980Ti go to 1070 with the MSRP of $379 and 980 go to 1060 which has an MSRP of $250. The rumour mills say that a 3070 should be able to perform 95% of what the 2080 Ti can perform.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-ampere-gpu-rtx-30-series-performance-specs-q4-2020-launch-rumor/

As MS themselves compared in their Gears of War 5 benchmark for the series X to a 2080, if we assume that is what MS is targeting since they could have pitted the series X against the 2080 Ti as well, for all we know, you would need a 3060 to beat the Series X and something lower to beat the Ps5.

As I said at the moment I'm talking simply about pricing in this thread.

How much will the 3070 be in relation to the 2070?  The 2070 launched at $599. the 1070 was $379 and the 970 was $329. That's not a great trend. Hopefully the 3070 is flat price with the 2070. 

I think AMD want to keep the budget crown which is why I think RDNA 2 won't be more expensive than RDNA 1 was at launch.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
vivster said:
Or, you know they could just replace their GPUs and get the same experience.

It's funny how certain people always forget the biggest difference between consoles and PCs; that you can actually do things with PCs that consoles cannot do. Case in point, simple upgrades.

I can do so much more on my PC than I can do on any console.

But that's not the point, we're just talking about gaming. And not everyone has a computer that is worthwhile upgrading. So it's just looking at it of you have nothing, what should you buy and what do you want to do sort of thing. 

If someone only wants to play games and they have £1000 it would be very hard to not tell them to get a PS5/XSX and a budget laptop for study or work related things. (Although if they have the budget I would suggest a PC build any day of the week)

Wait till they unleash the true potential of the Emotion Engine

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

People in the market for PC setups will not be interested in getting equipment that is less powerful than the current consoles, so I imagine that the prices will quickly come down.

OneTime said:
People in the market for PC setups will not be interested in getting equipment that is less powerful than the current consoles, so I imagine that the prices will quickly come down.

Haha that's so true, the PS5 SSD is literally the reason this video exists.

ArchangelMadzz said:
Captain_Yuri said:

As I said at the moment I'm talking simply about pricing in this thread.

How much will the 3070 be in relation to the 2070?  The 2070 launched at $599. the 1070 was $379 and the 970 was $329. That's not a great trend. Hopefully the 3070 is flat price with the 2070. 

I think AMD want to keep the budget crown which is why I think RDNA 2 won't be more expensive than RDNA 1 was at launch.

In order for us to argue pricing, we need to look at performance... Cause without knowing what specs are needed to beat the next gen consoles, how are we supposed to argue pricing? If you need a 3060 to beat the Series X as an example, then there's no reason to look a 2070/3070 pricing. The 2070's MSRP is $499. If you got the Founders edition versions which are always higher priced then yea, you would pay $599 but that's your choice to pay more...

If AMD is the value brand and assuming their RDNA2 cards will be up to snuff, then it should be even lower than Nvidia's pricing. So if the 3060 will beat a Series X, then AMD's version could be priced even lower.

The main kicker for next gen GPU pricing is going to be RDNA2. When Nvidia launched their 2000 series, they had no competition hence the price increases. But for 3000 series, there will be with RDNA2. And that's why you could get more performance for a lower price since when AMD launched their RDNA1, Nvidia adjusted their pricing accordingly (and then AMD adjusted theirs to counter). But we won't know until they actually launch.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 20 July 2020

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850