What do you want most out of Switch 3?

More powerful docks forever. 4 80.00%

Something totally different. 0 0%

Your Switch 3 idea 1 20.00%

Portable only. Forget TV's 0 0%

Total:5
mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

You'd think after 3+ years of resounding success with Switch, the whole argument of 'Nintendo should be closer to PS and Xbox!', would've gone out the window.

Well, of course they should be. Their next console should be considerably more powerful, or else it won't even have a decent selling point unless Nintendo comes up with a new gimmick for it - which isn't what their current audience wants. Given how large that audience is becoming, I'd say they should cater to those people instead of trying to do some blue ocean nonsense again.

It's not that the next console needs crazy graphics or whatever, just... a noticeable improvement. And it's not even just a sales thing. Of course the Switch can be successful without the best graphics ever, that's what it's done so far, but like... we want to see better looking games. It's that simple.

I'm not saying the next console shouldn't have a considerable upgrade, but the idea to try and implement some crazy dock technology along with docked-only games is ridiculous. Who would that technology serve? People who want to play docked-only versions of AAA next-gen titles, will always just buy PS and Xbox.

While it's great to have those games on Switch, the reason people will buy them is because of the portability. And they're still only a small chunk of Switch's market. Implementing a docked-only strategy to get even more of those titles will serve hardly anyone.

Around the Network
Shaunodon said:

I'm not saying the next console shouldn't have a considerable upgrade, but the idea to try and implement some crazy dock technology along with docked-only games is ridiculous. Who would that technology serve? People who want to play docked-only versions of AAA next-gen titles, will always just buy PS and Xbox.

While it's great to have those games on Switch, the reason people will buy them is because of the portability. And they're still only a small chunk of Switch's market. Implementing a docked-only strategy to get even more of those titles will serve hardly anyone.

To be fair I'm not saying the dock-only strategy is the right thing to do

I'm stating that I don't believe a portable-only device will handle current 3rd party games, let alone next gen 3rd party games

If Nintendo manage to find a full portable device able to run 3rd party games that would be great. I just don't see it happening

So between choosing to be have docked-only games and just not having those games at all, I'm ready to support docked-only option 

Docked-only games are not a thing that is going to happen. Period. That would be extremely confusing to consumers. A general business goal is to not confuse customers while simultaneously giving them less options. I don't even know why docked-only games was brought up. Let's not continue talking about something that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, next ninty system should basically just be upgraded Switch. I imagine Nintendo will come up with some sort of new feature beyond the basic tech upgrade of much more power, better screen, etc. I don't know what that new feature will be, but I'd be surprised if they didn't throw some sort of new way to play games in there to excite people, as I imagine if its just a straight tech upgrade of the Switch it'll do well but won't have the type of sales Switch is seeing. The only thing I can think of is that it works as a VR screen as well, but I don't know if it'd have enough power or battery to do VR and I'm not sure how well normal screens work for VR...would streaming from the Switch system to a dedicated VR headset work a la Wii U tablet? As for me I'd be perfectly happy with it just being a straight upgrade with naturally significantly increased power. The Switch is already the perfect concept, I just want them to clear up the weak spots like a bit better battery life, bigger screen (no huge dead space around the edges), bluetooth audio, better online play and online social features, continued expansion of the retro games library online, no joy con defects, a decent amount of storage, stronger kickstand, slightly larger joy cons, plus of course the expected next gen power upgrade. Honestly can't think of anything I want outside of those basic and obvious improvements.

As for two gens from now, no idea. No way to know where tech and industry trends are in 10 years. Maybe it's a Switch 3 straight upgrade, maybe it's Nintendo VR, maybe its Nintendo Stream, maybe something else I can't even fathom right now.

So you think there will be no Mid-gen upgrade for Switch (Switch Pro or Switch X may be) and it will jump directly onto next generation with Switch 2?

A few responses to multiple people:

1) Docked games forever doesn't mean only docked, I should have worded that option differently. I meant that Switch 2 and onwards will require a dock to display on the TV. Sorry for the poll confusion.

2) I wasn't, in the OP, nor do I think anyone here was suggesting Switch 2 or 3 should target PS5/Series X (or beyond them for Switch 3) graphics/power level. Hence why I said Switch 2 should not be able to do 4k and that won't happen until Switch 3 (and by that point the competition will probably be fully into 8k or more).

3) As far as mid gen, @wohufana , I don't have predictions for those. I suspect, now that you mention it, that they will at least all have a LITE version, but I'm not sold on the pro idea. The New 3DS and XL weren't used much for developers. The N64 didn't have hardly any games that required the upgraded ram. They may give up on that concept because they and other developers don't seem to want to take advantage of it.

Around the Network

I, too, want a massivly more powerful switch.
I dont need a system which gives me the best looking visuals or the highest framerate
but I want a system that is automaticly included into the release plans of any 3rd party developer who wants to release a game.
Be it a small corridor style indie game or a huge AAA open world game.
Power and everything resulting from it should not affect a 3rd party's decision in whether they do or do not release their game on the system.

I buy systems which have games that are fun to me. And nothing is less fun than a game that doesnt exist on said system.

Nintendo Switch:

... announced as a Home Console

... advertised as a Hybrid

... delivered as a Portable

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

maybe bring back 3D without glasses again or something like that, and pack it with a dock that can run something beyond 1080p but probably not 4k.

You realize glasses-free 3D is impossible on a large screen, right? Even on the Switch display itself it'd already be really hard to pull off, if not impossible. Never mind a TV.

As for me, personally all I want is for their next console to be a straight upgrade to the Switch. Same concept, same functionality, just better. More features, and all. As for the next system after that, well, I'm definitely not thinking that far into the future right now.

I think generally, Nintendo would be better off, if they tried an innovate-improve direction. Meaning: with one console they innovate, then they improve upon that concept.

They innovated with the DS. All the innovation the 3DS brought fell flat (mostly the 3D stuff), but as the 3DS itself was still an improved DS, it was still sufficently successful.

The Wii was a great innovation. With the WiiU they tried to innovate over the Wii, but it fell flat, and the WiiU itself was no improvement over the Wii, as it didn't even packed the main controller (you only could connect your old Wii controllers).

So if in the future Nintendo simply tries for one gen to improve on a successful concept, instead of trying to come up with something new, that should work. After one additional gen it is time tocome up with something new.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

So your "Switch 3" idea is sorta similar to an idea I had for their next system (so "Switch 2"). Basicly it's just a handheld and instead of a dock you have a HDMI reciever that you can plug into any TV or monitor and then stream to it from the console. Like you said it makes it easier to not only take your Switch with you anywhere, but also play it on any screen.
In addition, since the console doesn't have to be plugged into the TV it would allow for the console itself to be used as the controller, certain games could even utilize the console screen while playing on the TV, Wii U style, like for example Mario Maker where its awfully convenient for making courses. Though of course this should only be an optional way to play and preferably the console should still have detachable joy-cons, especially since you can't really have the console plugged in for charging while you're using the whole thing as a controller.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:
So your "Switch 3" idea is sorta similar to an idea I had for their next system (so "Switch 2"). Basicly it's just a handheld and instead of a dock you have a HDMI reciever that you can plug into any TV or monitor and then stream to it from the console. Like you said it makes it easier to not only take your Switch with you anywhere, but also play it on any screen.
In addition, since the console doesn't have to be plugged into the TV it would allow for the console itself to be used as the controller, certain games could even utilize the console screen while playing on the TV, Wii U style, like for example Mario Maker where its awfully convenient for making courses. Though of course this should only be an optional way to play and preferably the console should still have detachable joy-cons, especially since you can't really have the console plugged in for charging while you're using the whole thing as a controller.

Ok that is my favorite idea for what the main new feature of the Switch 2. Though you'd still want a dock included for powering the system when at home. Like if you want to play on a tv for a long period of time you're just gonna wanna slide the joycons out and let the Switch be on wall power. But if you are at a friends house and only have to bring a little receiver cord instead of the whole dock yeah that'd be awesome, i like it - improving the Switchiness of the Switch.

Ooh also just thought of something else that would be perfect for the Switch 2/3 - wireless power. I don't know what is the current state of wireless over-the-air power tech, I'm guessing maybe it is still a few years away from being commercially viable, but if you could just plug in a charger to the wall and have it power your Switch as you play on the other side of the room that would not only mostly solve battery length issues, but that would also greatly help out this HDMI receiver idea as then you really wouldn't need a dock at all.

Slownenberg said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Ok that is my favorite idea for what the main new feature of the Switch 2. Though you'd still want a dock included for powering the system when at home. Like if you want to play on a tv for a long period of time you're just gonna wanna slide the joycons out and let the Switch be on wall power. But if you are at a friends house and only have to bring a little receiver cord instead of the whole dock yeah that'd be awesome, i like it - improving the Switchiness of the Switch.

Ooh also just thought of something else that would be perfect for the Switch 2/3 - wireless power. I don't know what is the current state of wireless over-the-air power tech, I'm guessing maybe it is still a few years away from being commercially viable, but if you could just plug in a charger to the wall and have it power your Switch as you play on the other side of the room that would not only mostly solve battery length issues, but that would also greatly help out this HDMI receiver idea as then you really wouldn't need a dock at all.

Wireless power would indeed be damn useful, but yea I think it might still be a bit early for tech that can charge across the room (but who knows?). What they definitely could do was make a wireless charging pad though, where you just place the console on the pad and it charges. Either that or a smaller dock seems like the best options.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat