Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Switch 2/3 Prediction

What do you want most out of Switch 3?

More powerful docks forever. 4 80.00%

Something totally different. 0 0.00%

Your Switch 3 idea 1 20.00%

Portable only. Forget TV's 0 0.00%

Total:5

You'd think after 3+ years of resounding success with Switch, the whole argument of 'Nintendo should be closer to PS and Xbox!', would've gone out the window.

Around the Network
mZuzek said:

Of course not all games need to be docked-only, but just having any that are already kinda breaks the premise of the console. Suddenly anyone who bought a Switch because they wanted it as a portable console will have doubts over buying the next one, as maybe its best games could all be incompatible with portable mode. It's a bad business move, I'd say.

And um, I wouldn't say the $300 price tag for a console with Wii U level graphics is a "low-price policy", and that policy definitely isn't a thing with their vast library of overpriced $60 games (never forget the Tropical Freeze port being more expensive than the original release).

Either way, I do think they can make a significantly more powerful console for a lower price. Technology will have come a long way from 2017 to 2024, or 2025, or whenever they release the next one. I think they should take their time and really flesh out the Switch's library, make it a long-term console (8 years), so that not only the next one can be much more powerful at a reasonable price, but also the consumers will be more willing to buy it knowing that it's gonna be a long-term thing.

There are docked-only games already. I don't think it's a issue at all, as long the vast majority of AAA games (specially first party) runs perfectly in both modes it's going to be alright

Shaunodon said:

You'd think after 3+ years of resounding success with Switch, the whole argument of 'Nintendo should be closer to PS and Xbox!', would've gone out the window.

Well, of course they should be. Their next console should be considerably more powerful, or else it won't even have a decent selling point unless Nintendo comes up with a new gimmick for it - which isn't what their current audience wants. Given how large that audience is becoming, I'd say they should cater to those people instead of trying to do some blue ocean nonsense again.

It's not that the next console needs crazy graphics or whatever, just... a noticeable improvement. And it's not even just a sales thing. Of course the Switch can be successful without the best graphics ever, that's what it's done so far, but like... we want to see better looking games. It's that simple.

IcaroRibeiro said:
mZuzek said:

Of course not all games need to be docked-only, but just having any that are already kinda breaks the premise of the console.

There are docked-only games already.

Umm... what?

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Umm... what?

Just Dance, Fitness Boxing, etc

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Umm... what?

He might be confused. There are a couple of games can only be played in handheld. Voez. The World Ends With You and likely others. I have no clue of any docked only games

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

mZuzek said:
Shaunodon said:

Well, of course they should be. Their next console should be considerably more powerful, or else it won't even have a decent selling point unless Nintendo comes up with a new gimmick for it - which isn't what their current audience wants. Given how large that audience is becoming, I'd say they should cater to those people instead of trying to do some blue ocean nonsense again.

It's not that the next console needs crazy graphics or whatever, just... a noticeable improvement. And it's not even just a sales thing. Of course the Switch can be successful without the best graphics ever, that's what it's done so far, but like... we want to see better looking games. It's that simple.

I'm not saying the next console shouldn't have a considerable upgrade, but the idea to try and implement some crazy dock technology along with docked-only games is ridiculous. Who would that technology serve? People who want to play docked-only versions of AAA next-gen titles, will always just buy PS and Xbox.

While it's great to have those games on Switch, the reason people will buy them is because of the portability. And they're still only a small chunk of Switch's market. Implementing a docked-only strategy to get even more of those titles will serve hardly anyone.

Well, I had no idea.

About like, either of those. So, there you go.

Shaunodon said:

I'm not saying the next console shouldn't have a considerable upgrade, but the idea to try and implement some crazy dock technology along with docked-only games is ridiculous. Who would that technology serve? People who want to play docked-only versions of AAA next-gen titles, will always just buy PS and Xbox.

While it's great to have those games on Switch, the reason people will buy them is because of the portability. And they're still only a small chunk of Switch's market. Implementing a docked-only strategy to get even more of those titles will serve hardly anyone.

To be fair I'm not saying the dock-only strategy is the right thing to do

I'm stating that I don't believe a portable-only device will handle current 3rd party games, let alone next gen 3rd party games

If Nintendo manage to find a full portable device able to run 3rd party games that would be great. I just don't see it happening

So between choosing to be have docked-only games and just not having those games at all, I'm ready to support docked-only option 

Docked-only games are not a thing that is going to happen. Period. That would be extremely confusing to consumers. A general business goal is to not confuse customers while simultaneously giving them less options. I don't even know why docked-only games was brought up. Let's not continue talking about something that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, next ninty system should basically just be upgraded Switch. I imagine Nintendo will come up with some sort of new feature beyond the basic tech upgrade of much more power, better screen, etc. I don't know what that new feature will be, but I'd be surprised if they didn't throw some sort of new way to play games in there to excite people, as I imagine if its just a straight tech upgrade of the Switch it'll do well but won't have the type of sales Switch is seeing. The only thing I can think of is that it works as a VR screen as well, but I don't know if it'd have enough power or battery to do VR and I'm not sure how well normal screens work for VR...would streaming from the Switch system to a dedicated VR headset work a la Wii U tablet? As for me I'd be perfectly happy with it just being a straight upgrade with naturally significantly increased power. The Switch is already the perfect concept, I just want them to clear up the weak spots like a bit better battery life, bigger screen (no huge dead space around the edges), bluetooth audio, better online play and online social features, continued expansion of the retro games library online, no joy con defects, a decent amount of storage, stronger kickstand, slightly larger joy cons, plus of course the expected next gen power upgrade. Honestly can't think of anything I want outside of those basic and obvious improvements.

As for two gens from now, no idea. No way to know where tech and industry trends are in 10 years. Maybe it's a Switch 3 straight upgrade, maybe it's Nintendo VR, maybe its Nintendo Stream, maybe something else I can't even fathom right now.