By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Switch 2/3 Prediction

What do you want most out of Switch 3?

More powerful docks forever. 4 80.00%

Something totally different. 0 0%

Your Switch 3 idea 1 20.00%

Portable only. Forget TV's 0 0%

Total:5

As I've felt for a long time now, I think Nintendo has been heading for a specific universal design for more years than we realized.

Gameboy and Gameboy Advanced games could be played on the GameCube with the adapter. The Advances could even function as a GameCube controller via Zelda: 4 Swords Adventure.

Wii's lack of graphical advancement allowed DS to play catch-up for a generation and get their teams further ready years ahead of time to unify.

Wii U was a massive leap forward in graphics over Wii, but 3DS was a pretty significant one over DS as well. Now both teams were fully developing 3D games (not the gimmick kind), further preparing them for unity.  Also, there were similarities in design and function of the systems now as well such as friend codes, Mii's, eShop, etc. 

Now they have unified divisions for hardware and software. Looking at the past and the success of the launch of Switch, I'm further convinced they will not leave this unified, take it with you or blow it up on the big screen mindset going forward. The only question is what it will look like in the future. 

For the next generation (probably launching anywhere from 2023 to 2025), I don't think my more radical prediction will be doable in a typical Nintendo cost range they expect consumers to buy ($350 or less). For Switch 2 I expect them to make a skinnier device with multitouch technology, 1080p screen, gen 2 joycons with no drift and more features, Bluetooth, maybe bring back 3D without glasses again or something like that, and pack it with a dock that can run something beyond 1080p but probably not 4k.

It's Switch 3 that excites me the most though, and the future that could follow after. We are heading to a hardware-less future for home gaming, but to game on the go you will need something. No one takes or will take a PS4/5 or Xbox into a public bathroom while waiting to board a train. A switch? Heck yes! But what about home? I predict by this time, with a simple swipe of the finger while playing on a Switch, you will be able to swipe the game on to your TV without a dock, completely powered by the Switch that you set down, all in 4k. It will stream to whichever screen you want to in your home, your friends home, the local Best Buy so you can see what the TV will look like playing your favorite game, public TV areas even, wifi bars, coffee shops, etc. You won't just be able to game on the go in the palm of your hands, but will be able to put your game and skills on display for any you wish to do so in front of. then, when someone else wants a turn, you swipe down on your screen back to your portable Switch and let them swipe up. You won't even need the internet, and you'll be able to utilize any screen you wish even if there is no internet because it will all be powered by a local cloud called the Switch.

This is the hypothetical future that excites me. REALLY looking forward to 2030 and beyond.

Around the Network

If they keep doing the Switch concept. It will be an Nvidia chip again but not Tegra. Ampere. Base PS4 power level. 1-2.5Tflops. DLSS so games can run at 540P in 1080P and maybe the system docked can go up to 1440P with DLSS. Limited ray tracing as Nintendo loves lighting and will use RT for a Zelda Dungeon or something. They won't go 3D as 3DS was an answer to 3DTVs of a decade ago that no one cares about. Even 3DS dropped 3D in later models. Not even going to speculate beyond that as it's pointless.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
If they keep doing the Switch concept. It will be an Nvidia chip again but not Tegra. Ampere. Base PS4 power level. 1-2.5Tflops. DLSS so games can run at 540P in 1080P and maybe the system docked can go up to 1440P with DLSS. Limited ray tracing as Nintendo loves lighting and will use RT for a Zelda Dungeon or something. They won't go 3D as 3DS was an answer to 3DTVs of a decade ago that no one cares about. Even 3DS dropped 3D in later models. Not even going to speculate beyond that as it's pointless.

Pretty much agree with this. A decade ago 3DTVs were relevant, now they're a joke. Switch 3 could be a whole decade away from now. I can't say I expected the world would look like this a decade ago, so I'm not gonna try looking a decade into the future. And maybe streaming is innevitable for gaming, but I can't say it's a future I desire. Same with all-digital.

I must say that I really want a more powerful dock, so I can play PS4 and XONE games in future years without buying a PS5 or XSX

I don't really care that much to play high-end games in portable mode. I had DS and 3DS to play games designed for portable experience. Portable mode for me is to play more casual games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, or maybe other RPGs, os maybe even indie games. For most of AAA games, action-adventure games, etc I'm more than comfortable to only having a more powerful dock

That's said, if they can make my Switch mirror it's screen to a TV device trough network connection (I'm don't see how bypass wifi, Switch cloud wtf??) WITHOUT compromise the advance of dock power, then it would be awesome. It's very very unlikely though to have something as powerful as a PS4 (even if it's the standard PS4) only in a portable Switch.

If they manage to have a dock-free mirrored Switch it will have a very slight/negligible increase of hardware power from current Switch. It's going to be another GC-Wii "evolution"

And I hate Wii, so I'm going back to Sony

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:
I must say that I really want a more powerful dock, so I can play PS4 and XONE games in future years without buying a PS5 or XSX

I don't really care that much to play high-end games in portable mode. I had DS and 3DS to play games designed for portable experience. Portable mode for me is to play more casual games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, or maybe other RPGs, os maybe even indie games. For most of AAA games, action-adventure games, etc I'm more than comfortable to only having a more powerful dock 

The issue with this is that it breaks the entire premise of the Switch, which is that you can play games on the go or on the TV. Any game.

If only the dock is improved, they'd either have to spend a lot of time (and money) making lower quality assets and graphics settings for portable mode, or make docked-only games. Which kinda goes against everything the console is about.

Sure, they should improve handheld mode as well. But handheld will always have a downgrade in comparison with handheld + docked. I don't see Nintendo having a portable videogame that is alone as powerful as a PS4/XO in next gen, at least not using their current low-price police. They need the dock to an extra supply of raw power

I understand having docked-only games is a issue, but they don't need ALL their games to be docked-only, only the fewer games where the portable mode alone can't run (probably some engine-specific 3rd party games)

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:
mZuzek said:

The issue with this is that it breaks the entire premise of the Switch, which is that you can play games on the go or on the TV. Any game.

If only the dock is improved, they'd either have to spend a lot of time (and money) making lower quality assets and graphics settings for portable mode, or make docked-only games. Which kinda goes against everything the console is about.

Sure, they should improve handheld mode as well. But handheld will always have a downgrade in comparison with handheld + docked. I don't see Nintendo having a portable videogame that is alone as powerful as a PS4/XO in next gen, at least not using their current low-price police. They need the dock to an extra supply of raw power

I understand having docked-only games is a issue, but they don't need ALL their games to be docked-only, only the fewer games where the portable mode alone can't run (probably some engine-specific 3rd party games)

Why? By the time Switch 2 releases, those systems will be a decade old. Mobile technology will have adanced a long way since then, along with the techniques for creating games.

I'm expecting Switch 2 to actually be far more optimised with switching between 1080p portable, and somewhere between 1440p-1800p docked. After having one long generation with Switch under their belt, they should be more prepared and comfortable with the tehnology and concept.

You'd think after 3+ years of resounding success with Switch, the whole argument of 'Nintendo should be closer to PS and Xbox!', would've gone out the window.

mZuzek said:

Of course not all games need to be docked-only, but just having any that are already kinda breaks the premise of the console. Suddenly anyone who bought a Switch because they wanted it as a portable console will have doubts over buying the next one, as maybe its best games could all be incompatible with portable mode. It's a bad business move, I'd say.

And um, I wouldn't say the $300 price tag for a console with Wii U level graphics is a "low-price policy", and that policy definitely isn't a thing with their vast library of overpriced $60 games (never forget the Tropical Freeze port being more expensive than the original release).

Either way, I do think they can make a significantly more powerful console for a lower price. Technology will have come a long way from 2017 to 2024, or 2025, or whenever they release the next one. I think they should take their time and really flesh out the Switch's library, make it a long-term console (8 years), so that not only the next one can be much more powerful at a reasonable price, but also the consumers will be more willing to buy it knowing that it's gonna be a long-term thing.

There are docked-only games already. I don't think it's a issue at all, as long the vast majority of AAA games (specially first party) runs perfectly in both modes it's going to be alright

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

There are docked-only games already.

Umm... what?

Just Dance, Fitness Boxing, etc

mZuzek said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

There are docked-only games already.

Umm... what?

He might be confused. There are a couple of games can only be played in handheld. Voez. The World Ends With You and likely others. I have no clue of any docked only games

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!