Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Switch 2/3 Prediction

What do you want most out of Switch 3?

More powerful docks forever. 4 80.00%

Something totally different. 0 0.00%

Your Switch 3 idea 1 20.00%

Portable only. Forget TV's 0 0.00%

Total:5

So you think there will be no Mid-gen upgrade for Switch (Switch Pro or Switch X may be) and it will jump directly onto next generation with Switch 2?

Around the Network

A few responses to multiple people:

1) Docked games forever doesn't mean only docked, I should have worded that option differently. I meant that Switch 2 and onwards will require a dock to display on the TV. Sorry for the poll confusion.

2) I wasn't, in the OP, nor do I think anyone here was suggesting Switch 2 or 3 should target PS5/Series X (or beyond them for Switch 3) graphics/power level. Hence why I said Switch 2 should not be able to do 4k and that won't happen until Switch 3 (and by that point the competition will probably be fully into 8k or more).

3) As far as mid gen, @wohufana , I don't have predictions for those. I suspect, now that you mention it, that they will at least all have a LITE version, but I'm not sold on the pro idea. The New 3DS and XL weren't used much for developers. The N64 didn't have hardly any games that required the upgraded ram. They may give up on that concept because they and other developers don't seem to want to take advantage of it.

I, too, want a massivly more powerful switch.
I dont need a system which gives me the best looking visuals or the highest framerate
but I want a system that is automaticly included into the release plans of any 3rd party developer who wants to release a game.
Be it a small corridor style indie game or a huge AAA open world game.
Power and everything resulting from it should not affect a 3rd party's decision in whether they do or do not release their game on the system.

I buy systems which have games that are fun to me. And nothing is less fun than a game that doesnt exist on said system.

mZuzek said:
Dulfite said:

maybe bring back 3D without glasses again or something like that, and pack it with a dock that can run something beyond 1080p but probably not 4k.

You realize glasses-free 3D is impossible on a large screen, right? Even on the Switch display itself it'd already be really hard to pull off, if not impossible. Never mind a TV.

As for me, personally all I want is for their next console to be a straight upgrade to the Switch. Same concept, same functionality, just better. More features, and all. As for the next system after that, well, I'm definitely not thinking that far into the future right now.

I think generally, Nintendo would be better off, if they tried an innovate-improve direction. Meaning: with one console they innovate, then they improve upon that concept.

They innovated with the DS. All the innovation the 3DS brought fell flat (mostly the 3D stuff), but as the 3DS itself was still an improved DS, it was still sufficently successful.

The Wii was a great innovation. With the WiiU they tried to innovate over the Wii, but it fell flat, and the WiiU itself was no improvement over the Wii, as it didn't even packed the main controller (you only could connect your old Wii controllers).

So if in the future Nintendo simply tries for one gen to improve on a successful concept, instead of trying to come up with something new, that should work. After one additional gen it is time tocome up with something new.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019

Predictions: Switch / Switch vs. XB1 in the US / Three Houses first quarter

So your "Switch 3" idea is sorta similar to an idea I had for their next system (so "Switch 2"). Basicly it's just a handheld and instead of a dock you have a HDMI reciever that you can plug into any TV or monitor and then stream to it from the console. Like you said it makes it easier to not only take your Switch with you anywhere, but also play it on any screen.
In addition, since the console doesn't have to be plugged into the TV it would allow for the console itself to be used as the controller, certain games could even utilize the console screen while playing on the TV, Wii U style, like for example Mario Maker where its awfully convenient for making courses. Though of course this should only be an optional way to play and preferably the console should still have detachable joy-cons, especially since you can't really have the console plugged in for charging while you're using the whole thing as a controller.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
So your "Switch 3" idea is sorta similar to an idea I had for their next system (so "Switch 2"). Basicly it's just a handheld and instead of a dock you have a HDMI reciever that you can plug into any TV or monitor and then stream to it from the console. Like you said it makes it easier to not only take your Switch with you anywhere, but also play it on any screen.
In addition, since the console doesn't have to be plugged into the TV it would allow for the console itself to be used as the controller, certain games could even utilize the console screen while playing on the TV, Wii U style, like for example Mario Maker where its awfully convenient for making courses. Though of course this should only be an optional way to play and preferably the console should still have detachable joy-cons, especially since you can't really have the console plugged in for charging while you're using the whole thing as a controller.

Ok that is my favorite idea for what the main new feature of the Switch 2. Though you'd still want a dock included for powering the system when at home. Like if you want to play on a tv for a long period of time you're just gonna wanna slide the joycons out and let the Switch be on wall power. But if you are at a friends house and only have to bring a little receiver cord instead of the whole dock yeah that'd be awesome, i like it - improving the Switchiness of the Switch.

Ooh also just thought of something else that would be perfect for the Switch 2/3 - wireless power. I don't know what is the current state of wireless over-the-air power tech, I'm guessing maybe it is still a few years away from being commercially viable, but if you could just plug in a charger to the wall and have it power your Switch as you play on the other side of the room that would not only mostly solve battery length issues, but that would also greatly help out this HDMI receiver idea as then you really wouldn't need a dock at all.

Slownenberg said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Ok that is my favorite idea for what the main new feature of the Switch 2. Though you'd still want a dock included for powering the system when at home. Like if you want to play on a tv for a long period of time you're just gonna wanna slide the joycons out and let the Switch be on wall power. But if you are at a friends house and only have to bring a little receiver cord instead of the whole dock yeah that'd be awesome, i like it - improving the Switchiness of the Switch.

Ooh also just thought of something else that would be perfect for the Switch 2/3 - wireless power. I don't know what is the current state of wireless over-the-air power tech, I'm guessing maybe it is still a few years away from being commercially viable, but if you could just plug in a charger to the wall and have it power your Switch as you play on the other side of the room that would not only mostly solve battery length issues, but that would also greatly help out this HDMI receiver idea as then you really wouldn't need a dock at all.

Wireless power would indeed be damn useful, but yea I think it might still be a bit early for tech that can charge across the room (but who knows?). What they definitely could do was make a wireless charging pad though, where you just place the console on the pad and it charges. Either that or a smaller dock seems like the best options.

Switch 2 I expect something like:
Tablet of slightly small size(width/length), but thicker(gameboy or folded 3DS are still good tickness). Larger screen due less bezels. With a SSD, and a power of something between PS4 and xbox lockhart.
2 models of joycon. One smaller, not meant to be played separately.
Other bigger and foldable. When closed is like a half xbox controller and can be atached to switch side. when opened, the handle become 2 handles, for a more confortable play.
2 kinds of dock. A small and simple that just mirrors the switch 2 image, other with processing to upscale the received image(with DLSS, a post rendering method).
VR googles, where you just plug the switch 2 to the googles.

And will be sold in different packages.
-Portable:tablet, small joycon and charger.
-Simple: tablet, small joycons, charger and mini dock.
-Standard: tablet, joycon pro, charger, mini dock.
-VR: tablet, joycon pro, charger, mini dock, VR googles
-Pro: tablet, joycon pro, charger, DLSS dock, VR googles

Starting from a fairly cheap portable. If you want to upgrade, just buy the accessories.

UnderwaterFunktown said:
Slownenberg said:

Wireless power would indeed be damn useful, but yea I think it might still be a bit early for tech that can charge across the room (but who knows?). What they definitely could do was make a wireless charging pad though, where you just place the console on the pad and it charges. Either that or a smaller dock seems like the best options.

Charging pad would be cool, the only thing I'd worry about is the cooling. The dock allows the switch to have some air on the front and the back of it, I dunno if it'd get too hot laying on something while the system is going full bore. But yeah in general a HDMI receiver and a charging pad would be very cool. Then you'd never have to plug anything into the system.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna hope for wireless charging two gens from now in like ten years.

Dulfite said:

It will stream to whichever screen you want to in your home, your friends home, the local Best Buy so you can see what the TV will look like playing your favorite game, public TV areas even, wifi bars, coffee shops, etc. You won't just be able to game on the go in the palm of your hands, but will be able to put your game and skills on display for any you wish to do so in front of.

That would annoy the heck of most other people if some randoms take over the screen in a coffee shop or other public places.

Also wireless streaming from mobile devices to TVs ain't something new.