Forums - Nintendo Discussion - My Switch 2/3 Prediction

What do you want most out of Switch 3?

More powerful docks forever. 4 80.00%

Something totally different. 0 0%

Your Switch 3 idea 1 20.00%

Portable only. Forget TV's 0 0%

Total:5

Switch 2 I expect something like:
Tablet of slightly small size(width/length), but thicker(gameboy or folded 3DS are still good tickness). Larger screen due less bezels. With a SSD, and a power of something between PS4 and xbox lockhart.
2 models of joycon. One smaller, not meant to be played separately.
Other bigger and foldable. When closed is like a half xbox controller and can be atached to switch side. when opened, the handle become 2 handles, for a more confortable play.
2 kinds of dock. A small and simple that just mirrors the switch 2 image, other with processing to upscale the received image(with DLSS, a post rendering method).
VR googles, where you just plug the switch 2 to the googles.

And will be sold in different packages.
-Portable:tablet, small joycon and charger.
-Simple: tablet, small joycons, charger and mini dock.
-Standard: tablet, joycon pro, charger, mini dock.
-VR: tablet, joycon pro, charger, mini dock, VR googles
-Pro: tablet, joycon pro, charger, DLSS dock, VR googles

Starting from a fairly cheap portable. If you want to upgrade, just buy the accessories.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Slownenberg said:

Ok that is my favorite idea for what the main new feature of the Switch 2. Though you'd still want a dock included for powering the system when at home. Like if you want to play on a tv for a long period of time you're just gonna wanna slide the joycons out and let the Switch be on wall power. But if you are at a friends house and only have to bring a little receiver cord instead of the whole dock yeah that'd be awesome, i like it - improving the Switchiness of the Switch.

Ooh also just thought of something else that would be perfect for the Switch 2/3 - wireless power. I don't know what is the current state of wireless over-the-air power tech, I'm guessing maybe it is still a few years away from being commercially viable, but if you could just plug in a charger to the wall and have it power your Switch as you play on the other side of the room that would not only mostly solve battery length issues, but that would also greatly help out this HDMI receiver idea as then you really wouldn't need a dock at all.

Wireless power would indeed be damn useful, but yea I think it might still be a bit early for tech that can charge across the room (but who knows?). What they definitely could do was make a wireless charging pad though, where you just place the console on the pad and it charges. Either that or a smaller dock seems like the best options.

Charging pad would be cool, the only thing I'd worry about is the cooling. The dock allows the switch to have some air on the front and the back of it, I dunno if it'd get too hot laying on something while the system is going full bore. But yeah in general a HDMI receiver and a charging pad would be very cool. Then you'd never have to plug anything into the system.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna hope for wireless charging two gens from now in like ten years.

Dulfite said:

It will stream to whichever screen you want to in your home, your friends home, the local Best Buy so you can see what the TV will look like playing your favorite game, public TV areas even, wifi bars, coffee shops, etc. You won't just be able to game on the go in the palm of your hands, but will be able to put your game and skills on display for any you wish to do so in front of.

That would annoy the heck of most other people if some randoms take over the screen in a coffee shop or other public places.

Also wireless streaming from mobile devices to TVs ain't something new.

Conina said:
Dulfite said:

It will stream to whichever screen you want to in your home, your friends home, the local Best Buy so you can see what the TV will look like playing your favorite game, public TV areas even, wifi bars, coffee shops, etc. You won't just be able to game on the go in the palm of your hands, but will be able to put your game and skills on display for any you wish to do so in front of.

That would annoy the heck of most other people if some randoms take over the screen in a coffee shop or other public places.

Also wireless streaming from mobile devices to TVs ain't something new.

1) You would obviously have to have a place's permission to do it.

2) I'm talking lag free streaming. 

3) The bigger part of the stream would be that it will display the game better, visually, on the screen you are streaming to than it can on its own screen (if said screen is better). The idea here being the device is actually more powerful than you think but because of a cheaper/more affordable screen you can't tell until you stream to a TV, without needing some bulky dock with cables.

Leynos said:
If they keep doing the Switch concept. It will be an Nvidia chip again but not Tegra. Ampere. Base PS4 power level. 1-2.5Tflops. DLSS so games can run at 540P in 1080P and maybe the system docked can go up to 1440P with DLSS. Limited ray tracing as Nintendo loves lighting and will use RT for a Zelda Dungeon or something.

Tegra is the name for a "product skew". - Not the actual chip code name.

You can have an Ampere based Tegra chip... Which is actually happening with Tegra Orin, it will be available next year... And we have known about it for the last several years.

Tegra Volta is likely to match the Playstation 4 in many tasks.

I think due to fillrate limitations of mobile chips we will see the Switch 2 top out at around 1080P, which is fine, it's mobile and will look crisp... It's when you blow it up on a giant display that the limitations seem more pronounced.

Ray Tracing due to the fact it uses dedicated compute cores might be out of the realm of mobile devices due to the substantial additional power requirements required.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
Leynos said:
If they keep doing the Switch concept. It will be an Nvidia chip again but not Tegra. Ampere. Base PS4 power level. 1-2.5Tflops. DLSS so games can run at 540P in 1080P and maybe the system docked can go up to 1440P with DLSS. Limited ray tracing as Nintendo loves lighting and will use RT for a Zelda Dungeon or something.

You can have an Ampere based Tegra chip... Which is actually happening with Tegra Orin, it will be available next year... And we have known about it for the last several years.

I think due to fillrate limitations of mobile chips we will see the Switch 2 top out at around 1080P, which is fine, it's mobile and will look crisp... It's when you blow it up on a giant display that the limitations seem more pronounced.

Ray Tracing due to the fact it uses dedicated compute cores might be out of the realm of mobile devices due to the substantial additional power requirements required.

I mean in 2-3 years something like Xavier or better could be there and it has tensor cores now. Something similar can be shrunken down in 2-3 years when it's time for a successor right?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
Pemalite said:

I mean in 2-3 years something like Xavier or better could be there and it has tensor cores now. Something similar can be shrunken down in 2-3 years when it's time for a successor right?

The successor to the Switch's Maxwell based Tegra already exists... The Switch's Tegra SoC was already several years old when the Switch released.

Essentially you have Tegra Kepler (Aka Tegra K1) >>> Tegra Maxwell (Aka Tegra X1 Aka Nintendo Switch) >>> Tegra Pascal (Aka Tegra X2 50% more performance at the same TDP) >>> Tegra Volta (Aka Tegra Xavier) >>> Tegra Ampere (Aka Tegra Orin).

Each line of Tegra basically uses the desktop PC GPU architecture with a few efficiency changes I.E. Maxwell, Pascal, Volta and Ampere but couples that with a cluster of ARM cores like A57 or Denver.

Basically there are chips which Nintendo could use as a generational successor to the Switch's current Maxwell chip, today.

In saying that, the longer we wait, the faster and more capable the ARM SoC's become, it's a fast moving industry on a 9-12 month cadence.

It wasn't several years old. X1 was only 2 years old when Switch released. I believe Switch 2 will use something custom based on Amphere or later.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:
It wasn't several years old. X1 was only 2 years old when Switch released. I believe Switch 2 will use something custom based on Amphere or later.

Nintendo Switch released on March the 3rd 2017.
Tegra X1 released on January the 4th 2015.

That is 2 years, 2 months.

By "several" that means more than 1.

2 years is a VERY long time in the Arm SoC space.

Mnementh said:
mZuzek said:

You realize glasses-free 3D is impossible on a large screen, right? Even on the Switch display itself it'd already be really hard to pull off, if not impossible. Never mind a TV.

As for me, personally all I want is for their next console to be a straight upgrade to the Switch. Same concept, same functionality, just better. More features, and all. As for the next system after that, well, I'm definitely not thinking that far into the future right now.

I think generally, Nintendo would be better off, if they tried an innovate-improve direction. Meaning: withone console they innovate, then they improve upon that concept.

They innovated with the DS. All the innovation the 3DS brought fell flat (mostly the 3D stuff), but as the 3DS itself was still an improved DS, it was still sufficently successful.

The Wii was a great innovation. With the WiiU they tried to innovate over the Wii, but it fell flat, and the WiiU itself was no improvement over the Wii, as it didn't even packed the main controller (you only could connect your old Wii controllers).

So if in the future Nintendo simply tries for one gen to improve on a successful concept, instead of trying to come up with something new, that should work. After one additional gen it is time tocome up with something new.

The Wii U was a bit different than the Wii, while it took the branding, it differed in the following ways:

* 4 Wiimote local multiplayer focus replaced with 1 big Gamepad.
* Asymmetrical gameplay instead of symmetrical gameplay.
* No major first party games until the very last game.
* No big releases for motion gaming (Just Dance on Wii U was the inferior B-version; while it was virtually the same game, the Wii version could be played on every Wii and Wii U, while the Wii U version was only playable on Wii U).
* The on screen gaming was another flawed concept because it divided the attention, it was intrusive to switch between Gamepad screen and TV. This is the opposite of Wii which probably had the least intrusive interface a console has ever had as the interface added rather than divided.
* Most importantly, Wii U tried to focus back status quo, while Wii was an art-house gaming revolution. It successfully challenged the status quo of Hot New Game = Same-old formula + upgraded graphics and sold nearly 1 billion pieces of software and over 100 million hardware units. While pretentious people trying to be gaming snobs (pathetic, I know) try to deride them as shovelware, the Wii game lineup proved to be a winner, as it went through the hottest period of any console in history - the "Wiimania" period where Wii was constantly sold out and selling for 600-800USD on ebay, regularly. The 2008 calendar year sales of 26 million still mark, BY FAR, the best sales a home console has ever had in a single year - to put this into perspective, that's almost double the Wii U lifetime sales. While the Wii U bought vanilla third party multiplat experiences (You know, the Ubisoft, EA, Activision type of games with lots of flash and no soul), the Wii brought exotic seeming new versions of games upgraded with IR or accelerometer controls which often improved the game into a fresh feeling experience (Tiger Woods, Scarface, Resident Evil 4, and Godfather felt like HUGE upgrades over older versions thanks to IR controls, I think the old GTA games would have been great on Wii).

Aside from that, Wii had a multitude of fresh new art-house style games like Cave Story, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, Endless Ocean, Little King Story, My Life as a King, Just Dance, Trauma Center, Anno, A Boy and his Blob. While Wii U had a few of these, like Trine 2, it wasn't much more than the average console, and they never felt a major part of the console's DNA like they did on Wii (and DS, and do on Switch); people often deride these as "shovelware" but these sorts of games are where creativity and innovation happens.

Sorry, I know I got a bit ranty (I tend to devolve into that).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.