By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X and Xbox One S Digital Edition Will No Longer be Manufactured

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
I wonder if they were losing too much money on the Xbox one X.

Nope, X1X was always sold at profit from what we know, at most some "sales" they lost pocket change.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

Necessary, but still surprising.

4 ≈ One

Probably a good move as the Series X ultimately makes the Xbox One X a redundant device... And may be an indicator the Series X will slot in at the same price point. (Salt. Pinches and stuff.)

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Wman1996 said:
sales2099 said:
Sounds good to me. Get rid of the clutter. 1 last gen sku is enough.

I see a lot of people having that mindset for the PS4 as well. The PS4 Pro could very well be discontinued this year, and the PS4 Slim will likely get its price slashed to $199.99. Depending on PS5 pricing, even $249.99 might be too steep for a PS4 Slim.

I am very curious to see how Sony handles the PS4 going forwards, both in terms of pricing and how soon they discontinue each model.

It does seem to make little sense to have the base PS4, PS4 Pro, and PS5 all being pushed at the same time.

I'm curious how Series S ports will be handled for the first few years.

When we're dealing with games built around current gen systems, it should comfortably be able to to hit 4k, 30fps. I think its actually going to make Series X look a bit redundant initially, at least where third party games are concerned. Series X will for sure have higher graphical settings but I don't think they'll be that noticable, similar to most high vs Ultra PC settings.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Hmmm... was looking into buying an all digital edition as a system just for Gamepass. Probably not going to get to the price I want now :-/

The regular S will probably be $150 soon, maybe $99 on Black Friday.  

VAMatt said:
JWeinCom said:
Hmmm... was looking into buying an all digital edition as a system just for Gamepass. Probably not going to get to the price I want now :-/

Dunno about that.  It's 300 right now. Even with a new system coming out, it's hard to see a 200 dollar drop.

shikamaru317 said:
Otter said:
I'm curious how Series S ports will be handled for the first few years.

When we're dealing with games built around current gen systems, it should comfortably be able to to hit 4k, 30fps. I think its actually going to make Series X look a bit redundant initially, at least where third party games are concerned. Series X will for sure have higher graphical settings but I don't think they'll be that noticable, similar to most high vs Ultra PC settings.

My money is on something like this for the cross-gen games:

• Xbox One/S- 900p, mostly low settings from PC with a few medium
  • Xbox One X- 1800p, mix of low and medium settings from PC
  • Xbox Series S- 1080p, mostly ultra settings from PC
  • Xbox Series X- 4K, mostly ultra settings from PC

Xbox One X was designed and marketed as a 4K console, so they have to keep aiming for as high of resolutions as possible on it or else the people who bought it based on the 4K marketing will feel mislead, so MS will ask devs to push resolution as high as possible for XB1 X on cross-gen games, which will mean a mix of low and medium settings from PC most likely.

Series S, though having a similarly powerful GPU to XB1 X, was designed by MS to play next-gen games at 1080p, so I think that MS will ask devs to push graphical settings as high as possible on Series S at 1080p. The goal on Series S is to offer the exact same experience as Series X, just at a lower resolution.

This is probably one of the main reasons why they've discontinued Xbox One X; a lot of less informed consumers could be easily misled or confused by the illusion of overlap. I can already smell the "Series S is weaker than Xbox One X confirmed" trolling.

JWeinCom said:
VAMatt said:

Dunno about that.  It's 300 right now. Even with a new system coming out, it's hard to see a 200 dollar drop.

Prior to COVID, I don't think hardly any were selling at $300.  They were readily available with a bundled game at $250, and quite often at $229 and even $199.  

Of course, COVID ishis here, and it has increased demand for hardware.  So, maybe you're right and $99 is not gonna happen this year.  But, if they're launching Series S at $299 (seems like there is little chance that it costs more than that) I can't see where there's much of a market for XB1S at much more than $150.  Plus, MS wants people to come into the ecosystem and sign up for subscription services.  So, I can see a case to be made for losing money even on the old console, just to get the maximum possible number of people subscribed to GP.  

In any case, you have reminded me that the list price is $299, and I guess some are selling at that price now.  So, I won't be betting on a $99 pricetag this holiday.  I do think $150 will happen though, if Series S launches this year.  

VAMatt said:
JWeinCom said:

Prior to COVID, I don't think hardly any were selling at $300.  They were readily available with a bundled game at $250, and quite often at $229 and even $199.  

Of course, COVID ishis here, and it has increased demand for hardware.  So, maybe you're right and $99 is not gonna happen this year.  But, if they're launching Series S at $299 (seems like there is little chance that it costs more than that) I can't see where there's much of a market for XB1S at much more than $150.  Plus, MS wants people to come into the ecosystem and sign up for subscription services.  So, I can see a case to be made for losing money even on the old console, just to get the maximum possible number of people subscribed to GP.  

In any case, you have reminded me that the list price is $299, and I guess some are selling at that price now.  So, I won't be betting on a $99 pricetag this holiday.  I do think $150 will happen though, if Series S launches this year.  

If Series S was 300 I'd probably get that, but I see it more likely at 400. I think their main goal is to undercut Sony, and if they can do that by 100 dollars, I think they'd be fine with that.  Of course assuming PS5 is 500.