By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X and Xbox One S Digital Edition Will No Longer be Manufactured

Xbox One X and Xbox One S Digital Edition Will No Longer be Manufactured

Xbox One X and Xbox One S digital will no longer be manufactured.

By Matt T.M. Kim

Microsoft has announced that in the lead-up to the Xbox Series X, the company will cease production on the Xbox One X and the Xbox One S All-digital edition. The standard Xbox One S will still be manufactured and available for purchase.

In a statement to IGN, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed, "As we ramp into the future with Xbox Series X, we're taking the natural step of stopping production Xbox One X and Xbox One S All-Digital Edition."

Check out Microsoft's full statement below:

“At Xbox, we're making massive investments to forge the future of gaming—a future that puts the player at the center of the Xbox experience. We continue to build great games for Xbox One. We continue to build out Game Pass, now with more than 10 million members across Xbox console and PC. We're previewing Project xCloud in 15 countries so gamers can play games with their friends on any device. And we're working hard on the next-generation of console gaming with Xbox Series X—the fastest, most powerful console we've ever built which includes backward compatibility with thousands of Xbox games and all Xbox One accessories. As we ramp into the future with Xbox Series X, we're taking the natural step of stopping production on Xbox One X and Xbox One S All-Digital Edition. Xbox One S will continue to be manufactured and sold globally. Gamers can check with their local retailers for more details on Xbox One hardware availability.”

Microsoft cited the development of its next-gen game console, the Xbox Series X, as well as continued support for digital services like Xbox Game Pass and XCloud as reasons for ending production on the One X and One S digital.

Previously, the Xbox One X was deemed Microsoft's most powerful console, capable of rendering graphics in native 4K while uprezzing older games. IGN reviewed the Xbox One X and awarded the system a 9 writing, "The Xbox One X is a very impressive collection of hardware crammed into a sleek case. It runs cool and quiet as it delivers performance a step above any of its console competitors."

For the entire article, please go to:

https://www.ign.com/articles/xbox-one-x-cease-production-microsoft

Around the Network

Xbox One X only lasted two years and a half. That's only a few more months than the Dreamcast, damn.

Makes sense as Lockhart should be able to take it's place as a cheaper alternative while having many next gen advantages.

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Thats exactly why I thought the One X was a weird release.

I suspect this is the last time we see a late gen update that doesn't transition into entry level next gen system.

I don't really see the point of stopping the production of the most interesting console of all 3 versions and keeping a very weak one instead of stopping the production of the S, lowering the price of the X to S levels and announce the Lockhart as a mid-ranger

Around the Network
SKMBlake said:
I don't really see the point of stopping the production of the most interesting console of all 3 versions and keeping a very weak one instead of stopping the production of the S, lowering the price of the X to S levels and announce the Lockhart as a mid-ranger

I would guess that the BOM for Xbox One X is considerably higher than Series S. Series S is going to be replacing it.

Imagine also having several different SKU's for One would get very confusing for the average consumer. Instead you have one low budget console and the others are next gen consoles.

SKMBlake said:

The point is the production costs. Probably can't retail it for less than 300$ even in 2020. And if the rumoured Lockhart will retail at 300$ why have two different consoles in the same price range. The decision is quite obvious to go with a more future proof next gen variant.

Hmmm... was looking into buying an all digital edition as a system just for Gamepass. Probably not going to get to the price I want now :-/

I expected that they ditch both disc versions and keep the sad version.

Nice of them to keep their UHD player.

The Xbox One X was a very ambitious idea and seems like a good product, but it didn't help the Xbox One's sales that much. I don't think we have hard data of lifetime sales of the Xbox One X, but I would be very surprised if it was over 5 million. It makes sense to cut off the X then. It's the most expensive Xbox One in terms of manufacturing costs, and retail price. Microsoft probably felt it would make no sense to keep making it and charging $300 or under for it.
The Digital Edition never seemed to take off or make any sense. The pricing was all wrong. The consumer is only saving $50 while they lose the 4K Blu-ray Drive and they still only have 1 TB of storage. Sell it for $250 with a 2 TB internal HDD, or sell it for $200.
I misread this article at first, thinking the Xbox One as a whole was discontinued. That would be uncharted territory, since the Series X isn't even out yet. The Wii U is one of the only consoles I can think of that was discontinued before its successor released.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima