By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X and Xbox One S Digital Edition Will No Longer be Manufactured

The discontinuation of the Xbox One X is rather stunning considered how much Microsoft hyped it up. They were so proud to finally have the bragging rights of most powerful console on the market. They revealed the console a year too soon and noticeably undercut sales of the Xbox One S prior to launch. In the end what was it all for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Around the Network
Signalstar said:
The discontinuation of the Xbox One X is rather stunning considered how much Microsoft hyped it up. They were so proud to finally have the bragging rights of most powerful console on the market. They revealed the console a year too soon and noticeably undercut sales of the Xbox One S prior to launch. In the end what was it all for?

They're still continuing their bragging rights of having the most powerful console with the upcoming gen lol

Killing the Xbox One X after 3 years is kinda funny they put so much R&D into that and so much marketing. You would think they would keep it as the cheap alt for 2 more years like they did Xbox 360. I get XSX is BC but still, XSX could be the cheap alt. So I guess Lock is happening. Did they think people would confuse the two? Ok but that's MS fault for naming every Xbox console essentially the same.

Xbox. Xbox 360(go 360 degrees and you have Xbox) Xbox One. Xbox On X or XboX. Xbox Series X(box).

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

That is sad but perfectly understandable. Strange that they didn't keep the lowest cost SAD but opted for the one with disc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Yet another indicator that Series S is real.

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
Hmmm... was looking into buying an all digital edition as a system just for Gamepass. Probably not going to get to the price I want now :-/

Seems more than likely Series S will be all digital to keep cost down. And if the theory about it being cube shaped is true, not having a disk drive would be  necessary for the design.

I don't think it would've been a great purchase anyway. Games have already been struggling on base Xbone for a while, and it'll only get worse from here on.

I wonder how much longer they'll produce the One S; there's little point taking up valuable production capacity with an ageing and undesirable system once it's successor is out.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 16 July 2020

curl-6 said:
I wonder how much longer they'll produce the One S; there's little point taking up valuable production capacity with an ageing and undesirable system when you're about to launch its successor.

Well they need to keep at least one sku around as per a usual console's decline. Probably until Xbox One stops getting cross-gen titles, or at least notable ones. Maybe after 2021, or towards the end of that year.

Edit: Should also note that Xbox One is actually up year-on-year in sales by a decent amount right now. Hardly incentive to just halt production of systems altogether.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 16 July 2020

DonFerrari said:
That is sad but perfectly understandable. Strange that they didn't keep the lowest cost SAD but opted for the one with disc.

That'd be ridiculous with all the Xbox One game discs on store shelves all around the world. Giving late adopters no way to access all those games would be horrible business. Especially since games will continue to release for some time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Shaunodon said:
JWeinCom said:
Hmmm... was looking into buying an all digital edition as a system just for Gamepass. Probably not going to get to the price I want now :-/

Seems more than likely Series S will be all digital to keep cost down. And if the theory about it being cube shaped is true, not having a disk drive would be  necessary for the design.

I don't think it would've been a great purchase anyway. Games have already been struggling on base Xbone for a while, and it'll only get worse from here on.

I'm not a huge graphics guy and will be probably be mostly playing on a 720p TV. Unless the framerate is really unbearably (like sub 30 FPS), I'd probably be ok.