By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox One X and Xbox One S Digital Edition Will No Longer be Manufactured

JWeinCom said:
VAMatt said:

Prior to COVID, I don't think hardly any were selling at $300.  They were readily available with a bundled game at $250, and quite often at $229 and even $199.  

Of course, COVID ishis here, and it has increased demand for hardware.  So, maybe you're right and $99 is not gonna happen this year.  But, if they're launching Series S at $299 (seems like there is little chance that it costs more than that) I can't see where there's much of a market for XB1S at much more than $150.  Plus, MS wants people to come into the ecosystem and sign up for subscription services.  So, I can see a case to be made for losing money even on the old console, just to get the maximum possible number of people subscribed to GP.  

In any case, you have reminded me that the list price is $299, and I guess some are selling at that price now.  So, I won't be betting on a $99 pricetag this holiday.  I do think $150 will happen though, if Series S launches this year.  

If Series S was 300 I'd probably get that, but I see it more likely at 400. I think their main goal is to undercut Sony, and if they can do that by 100 dollars, I think they'd be fine with that.  Of course assuming PS5 is 500.

$400 seems a bit steep for the Series S if the whole point of it is to be a cheap entry level system, as opposed to the full fat Series X.

If I were MS I'd got for $300 for the Series S, they can afford it.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

If Series S was 300 I'd probably get that, but I see it more likely at 400. I think their main goal is to undercut Sony, and if they can do that by 100 dollars, I think they'd be fine with that.  Of course assuming PS5 is 500.

$400 seems a bit steep for the Series S if the whole point of it is to be a cheap entry level system, as opposed to the full fat Series X.

I think entry level is relative to the price of the PS5 and XBox Series X. The MSRP for XBox One S is still 300 so I have a hard time seeing it at that price. Unless Microsoft feels that getting users on Gamepass is worth taking a pretty sizeable hit in the short term.

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

I think entry level is relative to the price of the PS5 and XBox Series X. The MSRP for XBox One S is still 300 so I have a hard time seeing it at that price. Unless Microsoft feels that getting users on Gamepass is worth taking a pretty sizeable hit in the short term.

We will need to wait and see what PS5 and Series X cost, but Lockhart at $400 seems a hard sell to me unless the former are $600. If they're only $500 I can see most consumers wanting to just pay a bit extra for the beefier ones and Series S having little appeal.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 20 July 2020

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

We will need to wait and see what PS5 and Series X cost, but Lockhart at $400 seems a hard sell to me unless the former are $600. If they're only $500 I can see most consumers wanting to just pay a bit extra for the beefier ones and Series S having little appeal.

Maybe.  100 dollars in the past has generally been the difference between harddrive sizes in SKUs. Still, it'd be weird for lockhart to launch at the price of the One S. Not impossible, but unprecedented.

JWeinCom said:
curl-6 said:

Maybe.  100 dollars in the past has generally been the difference between harddrive sizes in SKUs. Still, it'd be weird for lockhart to launch at the price of the One S. Not impossible, but unprecedented.

I guess it depends on what they want to do with the Xbone once the next gen is out; cut its price and quickly phase it out, or keep it around for a while.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

I guess it depends on what they want to do with the Xbone once the next gen is out; cut its price and quickly phase it out, or keep it around for a while.

Surely the latter former* makes the most sense. Their priority is getting people into the Xbox ecosystem, mostly with gamepass.

• One S $199-- Cheap old system with the benefit of an UHD blu-ray player.
  • Series S $299-- Cheap new system that only targets 1080p, likely digital-only.
  • Series X $499-- Premium new system but still affordable.

Three clear price points targeting numerous markets/buyers.

Edit: Grammar error. I believe they should cut the price and phase it out within the next year.

Last edited by Shaunodon - on 20 July 2020

Shaunodon said:
curl-6 said:

Sure the latter makes the most sense. Their priority is getting people into the Xbox ecosystem, mostly with gamepass.

• One S $199-- Cheap old system with the benefit of an UHD blu-ray player.
  • Series S $299-- Cheap new system that only targets 1080p, likely digital-only.
  • Series X $499-- Premium new system but still affordable.

Three clear price points targeting numerous markets/buyers.

Yeah that sounds about right. I really think $300 is the sweet spot for the Series S if they're pitching it as an affordable low end entry point to next gen.

curl-6 said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm 99% sure they want the One S on the market, assuming it's feasible from a production standpoint. I feel like the XBox line is a trojan horse for gamepass at this point, so the more people they get on that the better.