By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some TLOU2 Haters Are Nut Jobs CONFIRMED!

Runa216 said:
padib said:

They are. Between people being banned from forums for voicing a negative opinion about the game, to journalists like Jason Schreier being shamed on twitter, to users on vgchartz having to endure the typical witch hunt, the only conclusion is that people are not allowed to say things against the game.

It's high time people just stop all this on both sides. People should never make death threats to anyone, and others should let people express themselves and stop vilifying other users. It's very bad in general.

This is, quite honestly, the only game where I have seen people trying so hard to silence others for their opinion on the game. I personally just stopped posting about it even on vgchartz because it was becoming ugly.

As much as I and others want to admit that some haters are being completely out of line, you should be doing the same instead of continuing to pretend like everything is okay on the side of those who will just defend the game to no end and rebuke people who comment negatively about it or its creators who are behaving badly on social media.

Neil Drunkman in this issue is no angel, and he shouldn't be doing what he is doing, and users on the other end should not be behaving the way they are, sending personal attacks and being very personal about the game. Both sides are wrong and if you don't acknowledge it then why should the other side acknowledge the bad behaviours of certain haters?

Let's just stop all this and meet in the middle.

Why? One of these answers is right. This isn't "Xbox is better than Playstation" or Vice Versa, there is no middle ground. Either these people are crazy and dangerous, or they aren't. Either it's bigotry, or it isn't. It's not "well it's kinda bigotry, but let's not go someplace that makes me wrong and you right, so let's agree to disagree." No, when people's lives and safety are on the line, when their mental and emotional health are at stake, and when hate speech leads to more hate speech, a solution needs to be found and certain beliefs need to be known to be unequivocally wrong. 

There is no middle ground on Xbox and PS which is better... PS4 is leaps and bounds better than X1 due to the library.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
Thread title change.

No fun.

j/k

Man the hate on people who don't think LoU2 is the greatest thing ever reminds me of the launches of The Order and No Man's Sky LOL.

LudicrousSpeed said:
Man the hate on people who don't think LoU2 is the greatest thing ever reminds me of the launches of The Order and No Man's Sky LOL.

Seems like the hate from both sides cancel each other out lol

Nut job or not, I kinda feel like it would have been better if we'd never even gotten this game. It should have been "One and done" in my opinion.

Take it as you will, I admit that Sony isn't my favorite company but I love good games and TLoU was a good/great game. With TLoU 2, it started off slowly. Then things ramped up. I said to myself "This is about to get good!" and for a while, it did. Outsmarting the AI was thrilling and fun. But now, on "Day 3", that's worn kinda thin. The story kinda sucks. The characters aren't likeable, and I just want it to end. I don't even care about spoilers anymore.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
Nut job or not, I kinda feel like it would have been better if we'd never even gotten this game. It should have been "One and done" in my opinion.

Take it as you will, I admit that Sony isn't my favorite company but I love good games and TLoU was a good/great game. With TLoU 2, it started off slowly. Then things ramped up. I said to myself "This is about to get good!" and for a while, it did. Outsmarting the AI was thrilling and fun. But now, on "Day 3", that's worn kinda thin. The story kinda sucks. The characters aren't likeable, and I just want it to end. I don't even care about spoilers anymore.

I liked TLOU2 more than TLOU1, but yes the first had a better story and would been totally fine to just have the first game.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

padib said:

@bold. I have really no clue what you're referring to. I would never infer that at all.

I think that you did however minimize the issue on the other side, though it's also nothing I'm jumping at your throat about, and if it sounded like that it wasn't my intention: "The game's detractors certainly have managed to find a way of turning themselves into the real victims here." It's a sentence I found issue with, and I just tried to show the two sides of the story, because I've seen users here and elsewhere being treated badly due to having a simple opinion on the game.

For the record, I didn't associate you to anyone, I think you misunderstood my post. I was just showing how the whole situation, when you put it all together, it does show that there are victims on all sides, to varying degrees of course. I was trying to explain why I disagreed with your statement, I was not trying to show why you in particular were making victims. On the contrary I think your attitude (other than maybe ignoring that some users are being bothered), was actually not a problem at all. My aim was to show that it's best to just look at it from both sides and meet in the middle. If you have the energy, read over my posts again to confirm that that's what I meant, because I never meant to say that you were a source of the bad energy, and I don't intend to point any fingers, I just want to explain why I disagreed with your statement, and tried to help people see both sides.

Just to set the record straight, I never pigeonholed you, since neither of the two accusations you thought I pointed at you were true. I pointed rather at the situation in general, not at you. I was trying to help you see the other side, and why there is an issue as to how people on the other side of the argument are, generally (not by you), being treated.

You should like the game if you like the game, by all means. My posts were not about that. My posts were there to ask that there is respect for those who had an issue with the game, and that the witch hunt (by other figures or users) would simply cease and that people would generally take the whole thing a little less seriously. It's important, I understand, but not to the point that we (in general) should hurt each other for it.

Okay. First of all, I'm sorry about lashing out the other day. My Facebook wall is an absolute nightmare to even look at right now over this game and I guarantee you it's coming from one direction pretty exclusively. I'm also tired of, for months and months now, just wanting to catch more stuff about TLOU2 on YouTube, more info (at earlier points), interviews, theories, that sort of thing, and being recommended nothing but insufferably petty grievance videos with titles like "Joel Deserved Better" and "Is TLOU2 a Masterpiece? ABSOLUTELY NOT!" and a bunch of ludicrous, Gamergate-style conspiracy videos about how Anita Saarkesian really made this game, how Laura Bailey supposedly had sex with Druckmann, how Sony absolutely paid off the critics, and other "legitimate criticisms" like that. So you'll forgive me if my temper seems short. I'm absolutely sick and tired of this! I'm sick and tired of EVERYTHING being turned into a "Did you vote for Trump or Crooked Killary?" culture war, and let's face it, that's exactly what this is. At this point I wish this game were never even made because, for as much as I've loved it, it's existence isn't worth the real-world social consequences. *sigh* Anyway, looking back, I overreacted. I was trying to apologize just there, but I think that might've gotten lost somewhere along the way.

So anyway, you say that I "minimize[d] the issue on the other side". Let's look back to your preceding reply to me to see what "issue on the other side" you're referring to. Here it is, quote:

"...Between people being banned from forums for voicing a negative opinion about the game, to journalists like Jason Schreier being shamed on twitter, to users on vgchartz having to endure the typical witch hunt, the only conclusion is that people are not allowed to say things against the game."

I'll highlight the "users on vgchartz having to endure the typical witch hunt" part in particular because it stands out here as symptomatic of a persecution complex. I offered a 19-paragraph commentary on the game not too long ago that included several paragraphs of criticisms. I was not banned or attacked, but up-voted by six people as a result. In fact, there is an *official* VG Chartz review of the game up now scoring it a mere 7 out of 10, which is much lower than most other professional reviews. Or just look at the average level of up-votes you see on this thread. Who gets more on average: supporters of this game or detractors? The latter, by a margin of like 2 to 1. You are NOT being marginalized and persecuted here on VG Chartz! The fact that you believe you are shows how warped your perspective is. You literally don't know what marginalization is.

I find that I'm permitted to voice a number of opinions openly here on VGC that have gotten whole subreddits closed of late. I don't feel that this is an unreasonably restrictive place. To that end, I strongly suspect that anyone who may have been banned in connection to comments about this game on the forums (I haven't been following that to know, I'm afraid) proooooobably was banned for something much more than just whether they liked or didn't like The Last of Us Part II.

Point being: Unless we're specifically talking about the board policies of ResetEra, which is a place that I don't join precisely because I feel like I wouldn't make it 24 hours there without being permabanned anyway owing to their ludicrous volume of rules, I'm just not seeing any real case here for 'TLOU2 haters are being persecuted off the internetz!', considering that they pretty much ARE the internetz. There is a real social censorship problem out there. I hear you on that. Your treatment/pedestal here ain't it though. There IS, however, a very, very real toxicity (and in particular, misogyny) problem going on around this game that comes pretty much exclusively from one direction.

Last edited by Jaicee - on 10 July 2020

@Jaicee "There is nothing more dangerous than a person in a position of power who thinks they are being oppressed".

I love reading your posts becuase you're one of the only sane people on here and aren't afraid to call people out on their fantasy oppression. It's refreshing. Keep it up!

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
Jaicee said:

Summary of this thread for those who don't want to read 10 pages:

OP: Death threats are bad.

VGC: We can't say ANYTHING without being called bigots anymore, can we?!

I love you. Wanna gay marry? 

As I understand it, you are neither female nor gay, so...I'm confused.

Love ya too though! Platonically.

This thread sounds like it went the way I figured it would. I do not enjoy games or movies that push political messages of any kind. I want to ESCAPE the stresses and drama of real life when I play games.

This is why I generally play Nintendo games. No one can take anything politically serious about a short, fat Italian plumber saving a tall Aryan princess from a freaking Alligator Snapping Turtle, while eating mushrooms to get powered up. It's glorious, relaxing, and pure escapism haha.