By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Some TLOU2 Haters Are Nut Jobs CONFIRMED!

Okay.  So it's been a while since I've posted any news articles.  And, yes, the subject title is kind of click-baity since not everyone with a dissenting opinion is irrational.  But this is just inexcusable behavior of those over an entertainment option that they disagree with.  Please see below:

Naughty Dog condemns abusive fans sending death threats, harassment to TLOU2 team

‘We must all work together to root out this type of behavior’

The Last of Us Part II developer Naughty Dog has issued a statement condemning harassment after several members of the creative team were subjected to abuse and hateful messages. Since the game’s launch on June 19th, members of the team, including co-director Neil Druckmann and voice actor Laura Bailey, have posted several examples of abusive, and often violent, messages sent their way. Yesterday, the studio made a statement in support of their staff.

“Although we welcome critical discussion, we condemn any form of harassment or threats directed towards our team and cast,” the studio posted on Twitter. “Their safety is our top priority, but we must all work together to root out this type of behavior and maintain a constructive and compassionate discourse.”

The controversy started even before the game launched, thanks to a massive leak that revealed several key story moments, including the death of a beloved character. This was followed by more innocuous things like review bombing, all the way up to hateful and violent messages directed at specific members of the team.

Druckmann, for instance, posted a selection of anti-Semitic messages he received, noting, “You can love or hate the game and share your thoughts about it. Unfortunately too many of the messages I’ve been getting are vile, hateful, and violent.” Meanwhile, Bailey, who voiced Abby, one of TLOU2’s main characters, received a number of disturbing death threats. “Sometimes this just gets a little overwhelming,” she wrote. In response, Druckmann said, “Unfortunately this is now the cost of making popular entertainment that challenges conventions.”

Despite the controversy, TLOU2 has proven to be a major blockbuster for Sony; the company says that it’s the fastest-selling PS4 exclusive to date, moving 4 million copies in its first three days of availability.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/6/21314471/last-of-us-part-2-harassment-naughty-dog-abusive-fans

Last edited by LivingMetal - on 06 July 2020

Around the Network

Nutjobs exist everywhere and in no way are limited to LoU2 haters. It is also worth noting that a few nutjobs do not represent even half of all LoU2 haters.

In any case however, this behavior makes me sick. Imagine just doing your job to put food on your table, and you recieve hate and death threats over a script that you did not even write.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

It's not just some of the "fans". The console-wars are also a religion for many people oO that's really sad. If you look at the 1/10 ratings everywhere, that's really ridiculous. The quality is extremely impressive, the love to details wonderful. I share the opinion of experts and editors: The gaming-world should be ashamed.

Fortunately, there are millions of gamers who really play the game. The Last of Us 2 is in my opinion the highlight of the generation AND the best of the survival apocalypse genre of all time (real series, films and books included). The Game is an incredible experience that I will remember in 20 years :) Or like IGN say: A Masterpiece!

Yep. A few dozen crazy people that should be locked in a mental institution represents all people that disliked the game. Also all that disliked the game are homophobes. And nazis.

By the way this official estatement from ND is much better than Neil's tweet. I hope the company can bring the police in to investigate the threats.

Terrible but unsurprising.

Around the Network

“Unfortunately this is now the cost of making popular entertainment that challenges conventions.”

That Neil tweet would have been fine if he didn't took time to pat himself in the back for writing a revenge story, or challenging conventions as I should call them now.

In what way did LoU2 challenge conventions LOL

Anyway, don’t paint everyone with such a broad brush. A small minority of people don’t represent everyone.

At this rate, not even the Janitors are safe

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

Shiken said:
Nutjobs exist everywhere and in no way are limited to LoU2 haters. It is also worth noting that a few nutjobs do not represent even half of all LoU2 haters.

In any case however, this behavior makes me sick. Imagine just doing your job to put food on your table, and you recieve hate and death threats over a script that you did not even write.

Who said it was limited to TLOUpt2 haters? The thread is about them, not every single nutjob out there.

Areaz32 said:
Shiken said:

Who said it was limited to TLOUpt2 haters? The thread is about them, not every single nutjob out there.

Right? Like, don't try to downplay it just becuase they're not the only ones. This is another case of "#AllNutjobsMatter". sure, crazy people are everywhere and they are all equally dangerous, but right now we're focused on the ones threatening a voice actress for her portrayal of a character they don't like (Which is awfully familiar to Rose from The Last Jedi...)

That's one from the 'shitty person playbook'. Whataboutism. "Sure, these people are psycho, but what about the people who were nasty to people in these other fandoms?" 

No, this is not healthy discourse. Don't try to disregard it so it looks less bad than it actually is. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android