Forums - Sales Discussion - The Last of Us Part II sold through more than 4m copies during its first weekend. Lifetime sales expectations for the PS4 version alone?

The Last of Us Part II sold through more than 4m copies during its first weekend. Lifetime sales expectations for the PS4 version alone?

Less than 7 million 120 10.22%

7.0 - 7.9 million 47 4.00%

8.0 - 8.9 million 70 5.96%

9.0 - 9.9 million 77 6.56%

10.0 - 11.9 million 259 22.06%

12.0 - 13.9 million 169 14.40%

14.0 - 15.9 million 177 15.08%

16.0 - 17.9 million 91 7.75%

18.0 - 20.0 million 61 5.20%

More than 20 million 103 8.77%

Total:1,174
Drakrami said:
Considering the last one sold 17 million, why are there options for less than 7 million and the max option is more than 20 million...? just lol

Because you used the PS3 version + PS4 remastered version. 

This is for PS4 SKU only without factoring PS5 remastered version. 

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I voted 9 - 10m. I'm not sure if we'll ever officially get the total amount though.

Hasn't PS been fairly transparent with sales figures? I suppose they didn't have much to say about the Vita, so there is some precident for not getting official numbers. I don't see this being another of those times however. I'm skeptical of the legs TLOU 2 will have, but highly doubt it will amount to a sales embarrassment, which is what it would need to be for sales updates to cease.

Never know though. I might owe you a Coke on this one.

For the first TLOU we know that it sold 20m+ on two platforms, but we don't know the split between PS3 and PS4.  In contrast we know Mario Kart 8 has shipped 8.45m on the Wii U and 24.77m on the Switch.  My expectation with TLOU2 is that it will get ported to the PS5 at some point and then we will get combined totals instead of the specific split between platforms.

Gonna guess 10Million. 13M if there's no PS5 version.

I think overall, I preferred the first one. Both are excellent. I think part 2 may have just been a little too drawn out and it hurt the game's pacing and overall sense of urgency. My perspective is also a bit clouded because I haven't played the original PS3 version of TLOU in some time. The remastered version on PS4 just feels much better to play than Part2.

Going from 1800p60 to 4K(upscaled)30 doesn't feel good. Aiming felt sluggish and difficult, moving the camera while outdoors hurt my eyes, and fast action can be quite blurry. This is partially my fault for recently finishing Wolfenstein2 at 100fps on PC just before this game. During my time with TLOU2 I just couldn't stop thinking "I can't wait to play this on PS5 at at least 60fps".

I'll revisit that question once I replay Part1 at 4K30 or replay Part2 at 60fps. Which ever happens sooner.

4 ≈ One

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Drakrami said:
Considering the last one sold 17 million, why are there options for less than 7 million and the max option is more than 20 million...? just lol

Yup, my bad. I didnt read the title clearly. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:
COKTOE said:

Hasn't PS been fairly transparent with sales figures? I suppose they didn't have much to say about the Vita, so there is some precident for not getting official numbers. I don't see this being another of those times however. I'm skeptical of the legs TLOU 2 will have, but highly doubt it will amount to a sales embarrassment, which is what it would need to be for sales updates to cease.

Never know though. I might owe you a Coke on this one.

For the first TLOU we know that it sold 20m+ on two platforms, but we don't know the split between PS3 and PS4.  In contrast we know Mario Kart 8 has shipped 8.45m on the Wii U and 24.77m on the Switch.  My expectation with TLOU2 is that it will get ported to the PS5 at some point and then we will get combined totals instead of the specific split between platforms.

Huh. I see Sony decided to amalgamate the numbers at some point after a sales announcement in Sept 2014 where they did distinguish between the 2. Didn't realize that. There were figures of approximately 7 million sold on PS3 and 1 million on PS4 at that time. Thanks for the explanation.

Chinese food for breakfast

Around the Network

I said 10-11.9mil, but only bc the ps5 is 5mo from releasing. Wouldn’t surprise me if it exceeds that number, but there are several unknowns and variables that‘ll impact its sales. Most significant factors will be when the ps5 remaster releases and how widespread the negative word of mouth truly is.

The negative word of mouth does seem to be from a minority, considering the launch sales. Two anecdotes, though, include 1. my best friend, who’s declined to play TLoUp2 (in part due to the leaks); and 2. A patient of mine today, who plays everything Ps4, said he had no plan to buy it bc his friends gave negative reviews. My review changed his mind tho :)

Bonus question: TLoU has to be #1 for me, though the more time that passes since finishing TLoUp2, and the more spoilercasts I listen to, the more I realize how freakin beautiful TLoUp2 was. So much incredible symbolism, and both likes and dislikes, it‘s one of the most unique games I’ve ever played. (!!!SPOILER!!!) But the infamous death was just so damn hard for me to deal with. It broke me.

I NV think with the right marketing of PS5 upgrades, and the release of multiplayer, this game can do around 20 million

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

That less than 7M copies option is so much wishful thinking rather than an actual opinion that it made me giggle.

I'll go 20+ million

Edit: oh wait, just the PS4 version, then I'll go 12 million. 

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Drakrami said:

If the trend in the Uk and Japan are world wide, the first 3 weeks sales are already around 5.5 million without bundling or price drops. Less than 7 million is a joke.