By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Last of Us Part 2 has become a minefield

m0ney said:
Mnementh said:

To change the direction: Do you think Jason Schreier got that much pushback over pretty unproblematic tweets because he uncovered earlier the bad working conditions of Naughty Dog employees (which sadly isn't that uncommon in the industry), or do you think that is purely coincidental?

Jason who? I don't follow online personalities and drama around them. Good working conditions and restricted time and budget usually don't go along in any industry, at the end of the day it's just business.

Oh wow, this is low. You accept shitty working conditions, because "it's just business"? That is so not healthy for the industry. In other areas people have unionized and fought for better working conditions. Movies for example. And that didn't affect the quality of the medium. So no, being a business isn't at all an excuse to be shitty towards your employees.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
vonny said:
Mnementh said:

This thread isn't about the quality or lack thereof of the game, but about an environment in which real discussion besides uncritically fawning over the game or ruthless destruction is met with paranoia and defensive behaviour. This is not a healty environment to develop the medium further. But you made your post all about the qualities of the game and putting everyone expressing even mild criticism into the box 'haters'. Which ironically proves the point of the article.

To change the direction: Do you think Jason Schreier got that much pushback over pretty unproblematic tweets because he uncovered earlier the bad working conditions of Naughty Dog employees (which sadly isn't that uncommon in the industry), or do you think that is purely coincidental?

No Neil defended a reviewer who was attacked by Jason Schreier for comparing the game to a movie, read that whole timeline and Jason acted like a petty child after being called out for his attack.

A completely ridiculous comparison, but Jim Sterling could more eloquently point that out than me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Wt4Q6AnhLk

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Mnementh said:

Oh wow, this is low. You accept shitty working conditions, because "it's just business"? That is so not healthy for the industry. In other areas people have unionized and fought for better working conditions. Movies for example. And that didn't affect the quality of the medium. So no, being a business isn't at all an excuse to be shitty towards your employees.

Lol so that's why movies are so shitty nowadays.

I don't accept shitty working conditions, but I have worked in IT and projects ALWAYS exceeded time limits, it is part of the business because development is unpredictable, developers always face problems that could not be planned ahead.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

It's concerning that your first post got 3 likes (?), while totally off topic, and that you show that you don't even care about OP. Why post? It's an honest question. 

Give me a break, I had a hard day at work doing nothing, my IQ possibly dropped.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
Mnementh said:

I don't accept shitty working conditions, but I have worked in IT and projects ALWAYS exceeded time limits, it is part of the business because development is unpredictable, developers always face problems that could not be planned ahead.

I'm also working in IT, and I can say while there might be difficulties ahead, that is no excuse for crunch. You can always plan some time for unforeseen circumstances (I have made out certain percentages I add to estimates, depending on the complexity of the project to account for something I didn't see coming) and you just can delay delivery if even with that you can't get it together. But expecting your workers to shoulder the burden is not acceptable, and not "just business".

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
m0ney said:

I'm also working in IT, and I can say while there might be difficulties ahead, that is no excuse for crunch. You can always plan some time for unforeseen circumstances (I have made out certain percentages I add to estimates, depending on the complexity of the project to account for something I didn't see coming) and you just can delay delivery if even with that you can't get it together. But expecting your workers to shoulder the burden is not acceptable, and not "just business".

It all depends on the workenvironment and how much control there is on the working conditions and who's in charge.

I had weeks working around 100 hours by my own choice while others in my same team did not even do half of that while at some places it might be forced upon people to do that many hours.It is also very important that people stick together and i have even forced my bosses in paying extra bonusses for working overtime that way.

When those on the top are egomaniacs(when they think an argument involves them doing anything wrong they just stop listening and start pointing fingers) it ofcourse makes everything difficult and that might be a more frequent thing in the gaming industry.

There’s a problem in the industry when journalists are afraid to say something critical about a AAA exclusive. This is truly the Last Jedi of sequels this gen. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujKHlm-6JfY

Jim made a great video related to the article.

Video game outlets and journalist aren't extensions of publisher's PR nor are they ever meant to be that, and no developer or publisher is entitled to any kind of review score they think their games deserve. Well thought-out, reasoned, and in-depth criticism is the way any medium grows and gets better, so when publishers begin attacking, blacklisting or otherwise questioning outlets, critics or journalist for doing their jobs right, something is very wrong in the industry.

sales2099 said:

There’s a problem in the industry when journalists are afraid to say something critical about a AAA exclusive. This is truly the Last Jedi of sequels this gen. 

Agree. But this is when we need true brave journalists. In certain situtations its clear when they are avoiding saying something critical and at the end of the day it just hurts their profession.