By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony Representative Contacted Vice After Critical Review of The Last of Us 2

kirby007 said:
not suprised nor by the practice nor by the comments

It was always bad with some comments but the last months reached a new low. Almost feels like with ultra Elon Musk fans and a discussion is just useless. 

Around the Network

Makes me think we should have a gaming regulatory body that holds companies accountable. Between contacting low review authors (with implications to play ball next time or else), disabling comments in official YouTube videos, 5 star reviews in the thousands on the PS store before the game was out, and overall with people having some suspicion that reviews were bought and paid.

Before I’m vilified I recall an example where Gamespot reviewer Jeff Gurstman was fired in 2007 for giving Kane and Lynch a 6.5 when the IP was being advertised on the site.

I’m saying for a while now companies do shady things and it’s about time we regulate this. Once in a while we have stories like this that remind us nothing has really changed 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

The link to the article itself should have been in the OP.

https://www.polygon.com/2020/6/30/21307200/the-last-of-us-2-controversy-critics-press-naughty-dog-vice-review-leak-sony-ps4-playstation

crissindahouse said:
kirby007 said:
not suprised nor by the practice nor by the comments

It was always bad with some comments but the last months reached a new low. Almost feels like with ultra Elon Musk fans and a discussion is just useless. 

Your posts of course have been wildly insightful during the period, truly jaw-dropping content you provide.

But this real issue, you will just brush off because who cares about Journalistic integrity, am I right?

padib said:
crissindahouse said:

Your posts of course have been wildly insightful during the period, truly jaw-dropping content you provide.

But this real issue, you will just brush off because who cares about Journalistic integrity, am I right?

LMAO we haven't had that in gaming since internet reviews became a thing

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
Xxain said:

Most controversial game ever? Ridiculous.

That would be Mortal Kombat, Ya know, the main target of what would be the creation of the ESRB.

Night Trap as well. The only reason it got a re-release on modern systems is its legacy. Tho playing it now nothing special about it. You get more out of Five Nights at Freddy's. Lol Howard Lincoln proclaiming the filth that is Night Trap will never appear on a Nintendo system. (tho the example shown in court was running on the Nintendo PlayStation and years later ported to Switch)

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Who cares? You dont even know if there is any truth to this reporting. Reviews in general do reflect the quality of the game. Last of Us 2 for example, is well deserving of 94, may be even scored too low.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
DonFerrari said:

So please explain the scores of DC, GTS, Days Gone among others. Sony just so happens to randomly select the games it will pressure reviewers?

It's not random.  It's based on sales, which means it's likely based on the game's budget as well.  Do you think TLoU2 will sell like the games you mentioned or do you think it will sell a lot more? 

Like I said, I think Nintendo is doing this as well with Mario and Zelda, but those are flagship IP for Nintendo.  For something like Clubhouse Games, I don't think the reviews are padded.  Naughty Dog games are flagship IP for Sony.  They can't afford to get bad reviews for a Naughty Dog game.

Until this gen Gran Turismo have been their best selling franchise, and GT5, 6 and GTS had decreasing scores.

Days Gone was a big bet.

You are just spreading FUD with this.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sales2099 said:

Makes me think we should have a gaming regulatory body that holds companies accountable. Between contacting low review authors (with implications to play ball next time or else), disabling comments in official YouTube videos, 5 star reviews in the thousands on the PS store before the game was out, and overall with people having some suspicion that reviews were bought and paid.

Before I’m vilified I recall an example where Gamespot reviewer Jeff Gurstman was fired in 2007 for giving Kane and Lynch a 6.5 when the IP was being advertised on the site.

I’m saying for a while now companies do shady things and it’s about time we regulate this. Once in a while we have stories like this that remind us nothing has really changed 

Are you sure you are really a republican? Do you want a regulatory body for this? Isn't the classification enough already?

Would you have hard evidence that he was fired for that?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
sales2099 said:

Are you sure you are really a republican? Do you want a regulatory body for this? Isn't the classification enough already?

Would you have hard evidence that he was fired for that?

Conservatives can’t support regulation? News to me, that’s politically neutral and something both sides can agree with.

He actually spoke out on it and admitted it when his own site Giant Bomb was purchased by the same parent company that owns Gamespot. It’s still very much the Wild West in gaming as shady dealings are the norm and rarely exposed to end users like us. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.