By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What is your favorite 7th Gen System?

What is your favorite 7th gen system?

Wii 16 25.81%

Xbox 360 17 27.42%

PS3 29 46.77%

Total:62

Xbox 360 started strong and finished weak as Microsoft started really focusing on Kinect, but I think them moneyhatting Japanese exclusives did far more harm than good. I enjoyed Live for awhile. The RRoD and E74 didn't exactly endear the 360 to me either. Favorite exclusive on 360 was Tales of Vesperia, I did play games like Halo 3, DoA4, Soulcalibur IV and Virtua Fighter 5 Online as well. Once the Japanese games started really showing up on PS3 and Wii, I didn't really have a reason to bother with 360.

Wii started strong, for its first couple of years, had a weak couple of years, then finished pretty strong with Skyward Sword and the OpRainfall titles, especially Xenoblade. but That said, I consider SS the weakest 3-D Zelda and the DS Zeldas the weakest 2-D Zeldas. Motion controls were fun but sometimes felt unnecessarily shoehorned. Punch-Out!! was a surprisingly addictive game and I wish they'd bring it to Switch.

PS3 started very weak and ended incredibly strong with Sony's first party and Japanese games really starting to show up on the system. Valkyria Chronicles and Ni no Kuni were my favorite games of both the PS3 and the generation as a whole. I also started buying multiples like Fallout and Bioshock Infinite on PS3 once I switched over. Fat Princess was a fun, addictive online multiplayer team brawler/action RTS.

7th gen was my least favorite console generation. I felt that some years were downright dry for all three systems. I'd have to say the PS3 wins it overall, almost entirely because of its last couple of years as Sony's main console and Valkyria Chronicles being my favorite of the generation. 

Last edited by SanAndreasX - on 01 August 2020

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Having recently counted my Wii collection for another thread, I tallied up my games for the other two to see how they compared:

Wii: 45

360: 36

PS3: 8

That looks like my spread of games for the PSX/N64/Saturn era :D

SanAndreasX said:

Fat Princess was a fun, addictive online multiplayer team brawler/action RTS.

I can confirm that I put many hours into this, especially after ninjas, pirates, and giants were added. Even now, when a situation in a totally unrelated game is turning from bad to worse, I still sometimes have FP's narrator pop into my head saying, "they're in our base, killing our dudes!"

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

I'm not going to vote in the poll because my answer wouldn't be that fair.
I played a lot of the Wii. It was gifted in Christmas '07 to me and my siblings. There were some fantastic Nintendo games (plus Virtual Console) and some enjoyable third-party games. But the specs of the Wii were garbage, and could've been better without competing directly with Xbox 360 and PS3.
Xbox 360 I played some of. My brothers got one a few years after the Wii. I liked the controller and Just Cause 2 was fun.
PS3 I played very, very little of. It was my older brother's that he got a few years before the PS4 came out. He sometimes let me borrow it as a Blu-ray player, but I didn't use it much at all.
I probably would prefer the PS3 because I've played some of its great first-party games on PS4, and I would've loved the multimedia capabilities of the PS3.
TL:DR - Didn't vote, but probably Wii based on play time and Nintendo games. But probably PS3 if I got to use it.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

GrahfsLament said:
SvennoJ said:
360 the first 2 or 3 years, ps3 the rest. ps3 had more great games, ps3 wins.
Wii had some great games as well but as usual I only really played Zelda and Mario on it.

ps3 was dire though the first year, I'm glad I had all 3 systems that gen. I still wouldn't mind to play a remastered Lair without the awful motion controls. The game was actually quite interesting, albeit mostly unplayable.

I may be the only person alive who didn't have an issue with Lair's motion controls. I played all the way through it with the Sixaxis, and I really enjoyed it. None of my friends liked the controls either, but they just clicked(?) for me. To be fair, I was also one of the people that used motion controls (I think reasonably well) to play Warhawk and Starhawk.

Also, on the off chance you still have it and a PS3, etc. They actually patched in stick controls so that you don't have to use motion at all.

Interesting, I do still have the game and a working PS3. The controllers are a bit iffy though lol, but it might work with a DS4 as well.

I got stuck in a stealth level, I couldn't get the finesse needed to avoid all the light beams. That game would be quite lovely as a psvr remake.

PS3.

I was a big 360 guy, until I wasn't. Had it for 11 months. 22 physical games, and about a dozen XBLA games. My own troubles with it, the tact Microsoft was employing with the RROD situation, and the looming threat that presented, in addition to the problems I already had, saw me trade it in all in to EB Games. Lustily. Can you trade something in at EB Games lustily? Yes.

I tried to get a Wii for a solid year, but was unable to find one due to the shortages, eventually giving up completely once the PS3 began kicking into higher gears.

Bought a PS3 in summer 2007, roughly 9 months after it launched. My PS3 collection absolutely dwarfs what I had for the 360. I also bought 4 of them. My 60gb Phat was fried by a lightning strike, 40+ hours into Demon's Souls. 2 slims still running, and a Super Slim still new in the box.

Last edited by COKTOE - on 07 August 2020

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network
COKTOE said:

PS3.

I was a big 360 guy, until I wasn't. Had it for 11 months. 22 physical games, and about a dozen XBLA games. My own troubles with it, the tact Microsoft was employing with the RROD situation, and the looming threat that presented, in addition to the problems I already had, saw me trade it in all in to EB Games. Lustily. Can you trade something in at EB Games lustily? Yes.

I liked the 360 at first, but mine got hit by the E74 error just a couple of weeks after I'd had it for a year. I remember spending an hour on the phone with Microsoft tech support only to get an Indian tech who clearly didn't speak much English outside of his scripts tell me that Microsoft was going to charge me $120 to fix it. This was just after Microsoft agreed to fix RRoD for free, but they were still in deep denial about E74 and it wasn't covered until six months after that.

SvennoJ said:
GrahfsLament said:

I may be the only person alive who didn't have an issue with Lair's motion controls. I played all the way through it with the Sixaxis, and I really enjoyed it. None of my friends liked the controls either, but they just clicked(?) for me. To be fair, I was also one of the people that used motion controls (I think reasonably well) to play Warhawk and Starhawk.

Also, on the off chance you still have it and a PS3, etc. They actually patched in stick controls so that you don't have to use motion at all.

Interesting, I do still have the game and a working PS3. The controllers are a bit iffy though lol, but it might work with a DS4 as well.

I got stuck in a stealth level, I couldn't get the finesse needed to avoid all the light beams. That game would be quite lovely as a psvr remake.

Fun fact: if you can't get either the DualShock 3 or DualShock 4 to work and you still have a working PSP, Lair is, to the best of my knowledge, the only retail (or disc-based) PS3 game that will play on the PSP via Remote Play (there are a handful of PSN games that will as well). So, there's that!

To your other point, I could see it being compelling in VR. I do understand that people hated the motion controls, but I often think that the game received at least a little more hate than it deserved (I certainly didn't think it was bad enough to warrant the fallout of Factor 5 going out of business).

Also, while the motion controls and Sixaxis function was fine for me (loved High Velocity Bowling, actually), the Sixaxis controllers (not the Sixaxis function on the DualShock 3s) were not. The Sixaxis controllers had this weird timing out issue every so often where the controller would act as though you were pushing the analog stick for a second or two even if you weren't touching it (I was definitely walked off of more than a few ledges in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls...thanks, Sixaxis!!). At any rate, I always wondered if that issue cropped up into the motion sensing and further exacerbated things for some people.

Currently Playing (So the world might be mended):

PlayStation 4: PlayStation 3: PlayStation Portable: PlayStation Vita:
Resident Evil: Revelations 2 (Raid Mode) Tokyo Jungle Valkyria Chronicles III

Soul Sacrifice: Delta

Transistor (Platinum run) Doom 3: BFG Edition PC:

Natural Doctrine

Salt & Sanctuary Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker HD Death's Gambit
Deadly Premonition: DC Deus Ex: The Fall

I only owned the 80GB original PS3 back in September 2009 since it catered to my taste the most and by far and as a result i had a lot of my best moments in gaming with it.

The fancy design and features of the console itself like built in Wifi, Blu-Ray, batteries and SIXAXIS along with great 3rd party support especially in the later years and many amazing PS3 exclusives like the Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War series, Heavenly Sward, inFAMOUS series, LittleBigPlanet series, Resistance series, Flower, Journey, The Last of Us, Twisted Metal, Sly Cooper series and Ratchet & Clank Future series.

Dahum said:

I only owned the 80GB original PS3 back in September 2009 since it catered to my taste the most and by far and as a result i had a lot of my best moments in gaming with it.

The fancy design and features of the console itself like built in Wifi, Blu-Ray, batteries and SIXAXIS along with great 3rd party support especially in the later years and many amazing PS3 exclusives like the Uncharted series, Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4, God of War series, Heavenly Sward, inFAMOUS series, LittleBigPlanet series, Resistance series, Flower, Journey, The Last of Us, Twisted Metal, Sly Cooper series and Ratchet & Clank Future series.

Resistance trilogy in PSVR with the Aim controller, that would be awesome!
Same for Killzone, Dead Space, Bioshock. Gen 7 has many gems that should easily be able to run in VR next gen.