Forums - Sales Discussion - What are the main reasons Why Xbox One Sold Far Less than PS4?

I also attribute it to the gaming media of the day. They've controlled the narrative multiple times. When PS3 launched, they BLASTED it while praising the Wii and 360. Then, a few years later they changed their tune. Did the same thing with the Wii U. They tore the machine a new asshole and then tried to switch up and saying the Wii U had the better library.

The Xbox One lacked in every area. Can't sugarcoat it. Maybe it deserved the venom it got but some of the criticism sent its way was just inaccurate and nit picky. By 2014 I owned both consoles and watched videos as journalist did things like slam the YouTube app on Xbox when it was the exact same app on PS4. It's like there was a hit on it.

They'll do it again this gen. Watch. There's going to be legitimate complaints against each system but the journalism community is going to find something minor and use it to attack a single system. My instincts say it's going to be Sony. Not because of anything the PS5 does particularly wrong. They're just going to (maybe even subconsciously) feel the need to tell you that you're wrong for liking what you liked last gen and that _____ is what you should be playing.

Just a feeling I have.

mZuzek loves to pre-order

Around the Network

Initial bad PR, Lack of software, and price point.

PSn - greencactaur
Nintendo Switch FC - SW - 5152 - 6393 - 5140 Please feel free to add me :)

I suppose the main reason could be the way they launched the system, since PS3 seems to have caused a lot of damage to itself due to the same thing.

The notion that the PS4 has a vastly superior software lineup over the X1 is utter BS. The PS1 and PS2 did have vastly superior software lineups over their competing systems. When it comes to 3rd party games the PS1 and PS2 was the clear winner. When it comes to 1st party games the PS2 was the clear winner and the PS1 gets a slight edge over the N64.

1) $100 more expensive
2) The lack of consistency regarding quality exclusives
3) Weak brand outside USA

Everything else like media blasting them, Bad PR are just very small factors.

Around the Network
d21lewis said:
I also attribute it to the gaming media of the day. They've controlled the narrative multiple times. When PS3 launched, they BLASTED it while praising the Wii and 360. Then, a few years later they changed their tune. Did the same thing with the Wii U. They tore the machine a new asshole and then tried to switch up and saying the Wii U had the better library.

The Xbox One lacked in every area. Can't sugarcoat it. Maybe it deserved the venom it got but some of the criticism sent its way was just inaccurate and nit picky. By 2014 I owned both consoles and watched videos as journalist did things like slam the YouTube app on Xbox when it was the exact same app on PS4. It's like there was a hit on it.

They'll do it again this gen. Watch. There's going to be legitimate complaints against each system but the journalism community is going to find something minor and use it to attack a single system. My instincts say it's going to be Sony. Not because of anything the PS5 does particularly wrong. They're just going to (maybe even subconsciously) feel the need to tell you that you're wrong for liking what you liked last gen and that _____ is what you should be playing.

Just a feeling I have.

Current media doesn't live by telling the story or investigating, they live by creating ruckus and the like. So they will make questionable decisions.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Chris Hu said:
The notion that the PS4 has a vastly superior software lineup over the X1 is utter BS. The PS1 and PS2 did have vastly superior software lineups over their competing systems. When it comes to 3rd party games the PS1 and PS2 was the clear winner. When it comes to 1st party games the PS2 was the clear winner and the PS1 gets a slight edge over the N64.

Wait, is this an onion article? I ask because that's like, one of the most universally agreed upon realities. the Ps4's lineup is vastly superior to the XBox One's in literally every way. Reception, sales, variety, etc. you can argue backwards compatibility and power and multimedia aspects all you want, but if you're honestly arguing that the console lineups were similar, you deserve all the laughs you're going to get. 

I got it all, baby! 

PS4, Switch, WiiU, XBO, PC
Vita, 3DS, Android

Top 6 this generation: 
Bloodborne, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, God of War, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Dark Souls III, Red Dead Redemption II

Runa216 said:
Chris Hu said:

Wait, is this an onion article? I ask because that's like, one of the most universally agreed upon realities. the Ps4's lineup is vastly superior to the XBox One's in literally every way. Reception, sales, variety, etc. you can argue backwards compatibility and power and multimedia aspects all you want, but if you're honestly arguing that the console lineups were similar, you deserve all the laughs you're going to get. 

At most one can say he prefer the Xbox exclusives or that doesn't like PS exclusives. I truly believe sales2099 is a case like this and another one that prefers Xbox, LudicrousSpeed, does because of UI, Live and controllers while not liking most exclusives on both systems.

But yes trying to say on objectively, market wise, that Xbox have a superior library is pretty wrong imho.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

The reasons have been stated over and over in this thread, so I won't repeat them. I'll just say that they should never again launch a console without a new Halo game.

Chris Hu said:

Where on the Xbox One can I get Persona, Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Ghosts of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, MLB the Show, Bloodborne, inFamous, Detroit, Dragon Quest, and FFVII Remake just to name a few?

And it’s not just quantity. Most, if not all, of those games I just listed were Game of Year contenders when they released. So it’s quality ON TOP of quantity.

All of that vs. Halo, Forza, and Gears? Quantum Break if you feel generous. 

It’s not a notion, it’s a fact. The PS4’s library IS vastly superior. 

Hardware Comparison Threads:

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2019 vs. 2020
(https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread/241660/ps4xbons-2019-vs-2020/1/)