By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What are the main reasons Why Xbox One Sold Far Less than PS4?

Runa216 said:
Chris Hu said:
The notion that the PS4 has a vastly superior software lineup over the X1 is utter BS. The PS1 and PS2 did have vastly superior software lineups over their competing systems. When it comes to 3rd party games the PS1 and PS2 was the clear winner. When it comes to 1st party games the PS2 was the clear winner and the PS1 gets a slight edge over the N64.

Wait, is this an onion article? I ask because that's like, one of the most universally agreed upon realities. the Ps4's lineup is vastly superior to the XBox One's in literally every way. Reception, sales, variety, etc. you can argue backwards compatibility and power and multimedia aspects all you want, but if you're honestly arguing that the console lineups were similar, you deserve all the laughs you're going to get. 

At most one can say he prefer the Xbox exclusives or that doesn't like PS exclusives. I truly believe sales2099 is a case like this and another one that prefers Xbox, LudicrousSpeed, does because of UI, Live and controllers while not liking most exclusives on both systems.

But yes trying to say on objectively, market wise, that Xbox have a superior library is pretty wrong imho.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

The reasons have been stated over and over in this thread, so I won't repeat them. I'll just say that they should never again launch a console without a new Halo game.

Chris Hu said:
The notion that the PS4 has a vastly superior software lineup over the X1 is utter BS. The PS1 and PS2 did have vastly superior software lineups over their competing systems. When it comes to 3rd party games the PS1 and PS2 was the clear winner. When it comes to 1st party games the PS2 was the clear winner and the PS1 gets a slight edge over the N64.

Where on the Xbox One can I get Persona, Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Ghosts of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, MLB the Show, Bloodborne, inFamous, Detroit, Dragon Quest, and FFVII Remake just to name a few?

And it’s not just quantity. Most, if not all, of those games I just listed were Game of Year contenders when they released. So it’s quality ON TOP of quantity.

All of that vs. Halo, Forza, and Gears? Quantum Break if you feel generous. 

It’s not a notion, it’s a fact. The PS4’s library IS vastly superior. 

I mean did 360 just sell really well because everybody replace there 1st one after getting RRoD? Do like the 1st 40 million sales were really 20 million. Does that make sense? As in well maybe xbox will always sell way less the playstation.

A narrow focus on online gaming and too little on big single-player experiences, lack of truly impactful exclusives. Mandatory Kinect was massively stupid and drove up the price a fair bit while having zero proper integration with and/or effect on actual gaming. Remnants of a bad reputation from the insane failure rates of the Xbox 360 were another factor for sure. No one year head start to one-up Sony this time, with a resurgence in MS' PC gaming efforts, some toll was taken out on the Xbox brand, a brand that has very little support in MS as a whole. The presentation, DRM solutions and overall PR surrounding the reveal and consequent info dumps were all disastrous as well, quite a few mistakes were made even before the thing launched ("for those who don't have a 24-hour connection, we have the Xbox 360").

From where I'm sitting, it makes perfect sense that the Xbox has been trounced. I own both machines, and I find that neither of them is especially appealing in their design, interfaces, and menus, but the PS4 has so many amazing single-player games. I have only two games I mainly play on Xbox One, even though I want to play single-player only, they both make it a point to constantly nag me about not playing multiplayer online (I'm having huge disadvantages because of this) and more or less hammer in my point about narrow focus on online, along with the constant begging about joining Live every damn time I start up a game. For a person like me, mid-30's, who enjoys single-player most of all and has enough to shell out on games, the PS4 is the obvious choice, along with the PC.

Kudos for making an SKU with 4K Blu-ray support though, it's still comical that Sony won't sell a console to support their own film format (this is among the main reasons I bought my Xbox One Slim). Another kudos for not diving headlong into the VR scene, it seems to have been really slow overall (PS VR seems to be around the 5-5.5 million mark, meaning less than 5% attach rate).

Around the Network

It's those the worst marketing campaign ever done by Don Mattrick that drove millions of people away from Xbox brand.
1. Discussions were largely about TV then game.
2. DRM policies and given bad advice was like "for those wanted to play offline mode they should go stick with last gen console".
3. Lower end RAM type(DDR3+ESRAM) that causes sluggish performance.

Funny, i bought Xbox One S then upgraded to Xbox One X cause.. it's really hard for me it's still my beloved secondary console(Switch is my main), i still love their franchises despite the heavy weight free update contents while my PS4 is a...ahh... lol a modern Japanese SEGA games library just in case for timed exclusives that they take too much longer before i die.

It started with bad PR and price being higher for a weaker console on MS part.

Then their 1st party support paled compared to the previous gen, while Sony (despite having a slower output in the first few years) continued to deliver what they started on the 2nd half of the PS3's life cycle.

Sony also took most of the 3rd party timed deals, which MS had the generation prior.

Then the Cherry on top was that people generally go wgere their friends are for online gaming. The gap had grown so wide that the odds that the PS4 being that platform grew exponentially higher overall.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Runa216 said:
Chris Hu said:

Wait, is this an onion article? I ask because that's like, one of the most universally agreed upon realities. the Ps4's lineup is vastly superior to the XBox One's in literally every way. Reception, sales, variety, etc. you can argue backwards compatibility and power and multimedia aspects all you want, but if you're honestly arguing that the console lineups were similar, you deserve all the laughs you're going to get. 

this post is a prime example of the oversensitivity these days, if one doesn't agree he overblows it the other way... saying it wasn't vastly superior doesn't equal or means it was equal in any way shape or form

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

PAOerfulone said:
Chris Hu said:

Where on the Xbox One can I get Persona, Spider-Man, Uncharted, God of War, Last of Us, Gran Turismo, Ghosts of Tsushima, Ratchet and Clank, Horizon, MLB the Show, Bloodborne, inFamous, Detroit, Dragon Quest, and FFVII Remake just to name a few?

And it’s not just quantity. Most, if not all, of those games I just listed were Game of Year contenders when they released. So it’s quality ON TOP of quantity.

All of that vs. Halo, Forza, and Gears? Quantum Break if you feel generous. 

It’s not a notion, it’s a fact. The PS4’s library IS vastly superior. 

so which one of these can i actually play with my homies? GT and MLB?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
Runa216 said:

this post is a prime example of the oversensitivity these days, if one doesn't agree he overblows it the other way... saying it wasn't vastly superior doesn't equal or means it was equal in any way shape or form

Then add precision to avoid confusion. How much superior?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."