By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What are the main reasons Why Xbox One Sold Far Less than PS4?

DonFerrari said:
Manlytears said:
Imho, 3 main reasons:

1. A colossal chasm in the quality of exclusive games. Just look at the 5 most awarded games of each year for the past 7 years. Playstation has the games with the largest number of prizes in the years 2013-2016-2018-2019 (4 out of 7 years), in addition if we consider the top 3 and top 5 of each year playstation shows fantastic results:
In 7 years, 9 of the 35 Top 5.
In 7 years, 7 of the 21 Top 3.

In the other hand, Xbox delivered "0". Exactly, during the entire generation none of the xbox exclusives managed to reach the top 5 of the most awarded ones!

-Source: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

2. Playstation had a gigantic advantage during the first years, being the console with better performance and with equal or lower price (the kinect era)

3. Playstation is better known and established than xbox. Xbox is very well established in the Americas and the UK, but in other markets ... Playstation usually has an advantage, mainly in Asia and continental Europe.

If you look at the total goty awards in the last 7 years the difference become gigantic.

Sony got 717, Nintendo 296 and MS just 7.

how can you have more then 7 GotY awards for 7 years?

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Horrible launch and kinect 2.0 which made the console more expensive at launch. People that mention the first party software lineup have no clue what they are talking about since the overall first party software lineup is actually better then the 360 first party lineup. Plus pretty much all the good first party 360 games are playable on the X1 via backwards compatabilty except for Forza Motorsports 2, 3 and 4. I'm pretty sure that most people that actually owned and used both the 360 and X1 close to equally prefer the X1 overall.

Inferior game library. Thats all there is to it.
There are other factors that several people in this thread have been kind to note, but thats the main one.

DonFerrari said:
Manlytears said:
Imho, 3 main reasons:

1. A colossal chasm in the quality of exclusive games. Just look at the 5 most awarded games of each year for the past 7 years. Playstation has the games with the largest number of prizes in the years 2013-2016-2018-2019 (4 out of 7 years), in addition if we consider the top 3 and top 5 of each year playstation shows fantastic results:
In 7 years, 9 of the 35 Top 5.
In 7 years, 7 of the 21 Top 3.

In the other hand, Xbox delivered "0". Exactly, during the entire generation none of the xbox exclusives managed to reach the top 5 of the most awarded ones!

-Source: https://gotypicks.blogspot.com/

2. Playstation had a gigantic advantage during the first years, being the console with better performance and with equal or lower price (the kinect era)

3. Playstation is better known and established than xbox. Xbox is very well established in the Americas and the UK, but in other markets ... Playstation usually has an advantage, mainly in Asia and continental Europe.

If you look at the total goty awards in the last 7 years the difference become gigantic.

I agree, there is a whole world of difference in the quality of the games. It's not just a matter of the Xbox having "poor results", the thing is amplified by the fact that Playstation had incredibly good results.  Currently it is impossible to make comparisons between xbox and playstation in this field, the two exist on stupidly unequal levels, but... nobody knows tomorrow, it is possible that Xbox will reach,  and perhaps  surpass, Playstation in a few years, very unlikely, but still...

The reveal disaster and the price killed it long before any games might have mattered.

Around the Network
kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

how can you have more then 7 GotY awards for 7 years?

Each magazine gives its GOTY and there are more than one category.

Manlytears said:
DonFerrari said:

I agree, there is a whole world of difference in the quality of the games. It's not just a matter of the Xbox having "poor results", the thing is amplified by the fact that Playstation had incredibly good results.  Currently it is impossible to make comparisons between xbox and playstation in this field, the two exist on stupidly unequal levels, but... nobody knows tomorrow, it is possible that Xbox will reach,  and perhaps  surpass, Playstation in a few years, very unlikely, but still...

It could happen. But even at this moment you`ll see a number of people that would put MS exclusives at higher quality.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The reveal.

Initial used games policy.

24 Hour Check-in DRM and then MS told people to play Xbox 360 if you don't want DRM connection.

Price

Sony released this after the Xbox One E3 presser while better than the initial reveal in Feb but still bad and didn't address any concerns. Sony then announced $100 cheaper and plays used games.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

2013 reveal blunders, price gap, mandatory Kinect.

But most of all, 100x more important then anything else, is that mainland Europe and Asia are dead set in their ways. Total brand power bred from generations of consistency from Sony. It’s so intangible yet it’s Sony’s greatest weapon that will guide them through any storm they encounter.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

V-r0cK said:
Games.

Close the thread. We're done.

But seriously, slipped up launch - Kinect, DRM, high price compared to competitor. And lack of support for first party games throughout the generation. The Xbox 360 lost a lot of momentum at the end due to lack of games compared to PS3 which maybe another factor in people choosing one platform over another. It was for me and the gradual shift to PC made my decision made it even easier - and i loved playing on the OG Xbox and 360.

LudicrousSpeed said:
The reveal disaster and the price killed it long before any games might have mattered.

I don't think that alone is true. The PS3 had a pretty disastrous reveal and really bad pricing, and turned around from 2009 onward. It became a great value with the PS3 Slim and Super Slim and a library of exclusives people wanted to play. Plus Blu-ray was really picking up in the middle of the PS3's life.

Microsoft could've had a big shift with software on the Xbox One to gain a larger market share, but it didn't happen. Backwards compatibility, Xbox Game Pass and a UHD Blu-ray drive weren't enough to come close to worldwide sales of the PS4.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima