By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will the Switch sell in 2020?

Switch sales for 2020?

Less than 19M 2 2.22%

19M-21M 12 13.33%

22M-24M 41 45.56%

25M-27M 24 26.67%

28M-30M 7 7.78%

30M+ 4 4.44%

Total:90
Chicho said:
Doctor_MG said:
I chose 22-24 million. I think that, currently, Switch sales are a bit front loaded due to COVID. I think the holiday boost won't be as big for the Switch as it is for other years due to the launch of the new consoles. Unless, of course, Nintendo has some good deals (temporary price cuts).

Not to mention that the Switch can only sell as much as Nintendo can produce. Which I believe they said they would be producing 22 million.

Nintendo did say they were increasing production but as far as I know, they didn't mention any numbers. 

Didn't someone said like 30-50% for the April to June period?

Around the Network

Ok let's go bold, and assuming the Switch sells around 10 million in Q3/Christmas as usual, with already 10 million sold for 2020 so far, if I say 25+ million I shouldn't be way off I think

Switch is a BEAST i said 2 years ago 35 million, im going with 30 now

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Eagle367 said:

Oh you best believe Nintendo upped production for switch.

I don't think that's entirely in their control due to COVID-19. 

xMetroid said:
Chicho said:

Nintendo did say they were increasing production but as far as I know, they didn't mention any numbers. 

Didn't someone said like 30-50% for the April to June period?

Yeah, that's the 22 million number. Back in April Nintendo stated they were increasing Switch production this year by 10% of 2019's shipments. Which is 22 million. 

Last edited by Doctor_MG - on 24 June 2020

Around the Network

Also with the majority here in here saying 22-24m.

PS5 and Xbox Series X will inevitably impact sales though. This holiday I'm still undecided about picking up my own personal Switch vs buying a PS5 but I will probably end up buying a PS5.

Otter said:

PS5 and Xbox Series X will inevitably impact sales though. This holiday I'm still undecided about picking up my own personal Switch vs buying a PS5 but I will probably end up buying a PS5.

Those aren’t impacting sales for the NSW. NSW is still supply constraint, it’s about to have this gen record for Q1 with supply issues, a ton of NSW still need to be restock excluding the high demand.

on top of which only the hardcore fans are buying xsx and ps5 this Fy. They will be much higher price and on top of NSW doesn’t really seem to cross with the other 2, not directly at least.

22mil at this point is safe too safe. If Nintendo can produce 25mil it’s going to do just that this Fy ;)

tbone51 said:
Otter said:

Those aren’t impacting sales for the NSW. NSW is still supply constraint, it’s about to have this gen record for Q1 with supply issues, a ton of NSW still need to be restock excluding the high demand.

on top of which only the hardcore fans are buying xsx and ps5 this Fy. They will be much higher price and on top of NSW doesn’t really seem to cross with the other 2, not directly at least.

22mil at this point is safe too safe. If Nintendo can produce 25mil it’s going to do just that this Fy ;)

Let me reprhase then, PS5 & XSX will 100% have an impact on demand, although demand may still outstrip supply. 

"Only hardcore fans are buying a PS5/XSX this FY" This is not only false in my experience its also kinda irrelevant because the audience (hardore or not) will still equate to a minimum of around 6m units in hardware sales this holiday. As just mentioned in reference to myself, many of whom would be buying a Switch if it wasn't for the arrival of those new consoles too. Money constraints are real lol 

I am very curious about how much Nintendo can actually supply

Doctor_MG said:

Yeah, that's the 22 million number. Back in April Nintendo stated they were increasing Switch production this year by 10% of 2019's shipments. Which is 22 million. 

Well, it's actually 23 million. Nintendo shipped 21 million, and 10% of that is 2 million, so it would turn out to be 23. Plus, let's not forget that everything is sold so quickly so the 2 million extra Switches Nintendo ships could be gone, meaning 25 million could be sold. That's what I think.

Doctor_MG said:
Eagle367 said:

Oh you best believe Nintendo upped production for switch.

I don't think that's entirely in their control due to COVID-19. 

Nintendo recently said that production will be back to normal as early as July. So I think they can produce a lot more than they have so far and it looks like how much switch sells depends a lot on how much Ninty can make

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also