By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will the Switch sell in 2020?

Switch sales for 2020?

Less than 19M 2 2.22%

19M-21M 12 13.33%

22M-24M 41 45.56%

25M-27M 24 26.67%

28M-30M 7 7.78%

30M+ 4 4.44%

Total:90

What would you say if Nintendo actually presents a Switch Pro very soon and actually release it still in this fiscal year?

Around the Network
Fight-the-Streets said:
What would you say if Nintendo actually presents a Switch Pro very soon and actually release it still in this fiscal year?

A Switch Pro? For professionals?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Fight-the-Streets said:

I would say that anything resembling a Switch Pro would be like the New 3DS.  It was an upgrade that mostly boosted the battery life with some other minor improvements.  It will not be designed to play games that the Switch already can't play.

The idea that Nintendo needs a more powerful system to play AAA third party games was originally called "Wii HD".  This was an extremely moronic idea, because the Wii was already the most successful system the way it was.  Why did it need to change in order to play AAA third party games?  People like Michael Pachter talked about Wii HD for years, and it never caused Nintendo to release a successor prematurely.  Finally, 6 years after the Wii's launch, Nintendo released the Wii HD, i.e. the Wii U.  It was an HD system powerful enough to play AAA third party games.  It was a horrible flop.

The Switch Pro is like the Wii HD only it's even more moronic.  Why?  Because we should have already learned our lesson by now.  We already saw that Wii HD is a terrible idea.  Nintendo doesn't need a more powerful system to play AAA games.  The Switch is already extremely successful just the way it is.  If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 04 July 2020

I voted for 25-27 million mostly because of supply constraints. If they were able to completely fulfill demand it would be 30+ million. The device is a perfect family console with the best couch co-op gaming available on the market. Add in with the PS5/XsX pricing likely to be $500+ and games reportedly at $70, people will opt to get a Switch and the evergreen titles it has (Mario Kart, Pokemon, Animal Crossing, BotW, Odyssey, etc). I think the real surprising things you will see this year is the amount of software they will sell. And more people will get a second, third, etc Switch as well because of pricing and the desire to play their games. The Switch is just getting started and will by the end of this FY will be at roughly 80 million units and after March 2025 we will see the highest selling console of all time.

Nintendo with the Switch:

For now I'm siding with 22-24 MI, but only because the Q4 releases lineup feels very empty

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

For now I'm siding with 22-24 MI, but only because the Q4 releases lineup feels very empty

You can “feel” Q4 even though it hasn’t even been announced yet? Do you have magic powers?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Jumpin said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

You can “feel” Q4 even though it hasn’t even been announced yet? Do you have magic powers?

Well, it's empty exactly because nothing was announced yet

IcaroRibeiro said:
Jumpin said:

Well, it's empty exactly because nothing was announced yet

July was empty too less than 2 months ago ;P

tbone51 said:

So fingers crossed to some announcements 

IcaroRibeiro said:
tbone51 said:

So fingers crossed to some announcements 

COVID19 is affecting thjngs too, hints are there. 1 being dlc of minmin in smash. Sakurai recorded footage at his home on May 2nd