By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - How many units will the Switch sell in 2020?

Switch sales for 2020?

Less than 19M 2 2.22%

19M-21M 12 13.33%

22M-24M 41 45.56%

25M-27M 24 26.67%

28M-30M 7 7.78%

30M+ 4 4.44%

Total:90
Soundwave said:

COVID19 effect is real so it's hard to gauge as this literally a once in a lifetime event, in some ways the most significant global event since World War II.

You have basically huge swaths of school kids who had school basically end in March/April and the traditional "summer vacation" is out for a lot of people too as 7 to 14-day quarantines are the norm for most international travel or a big money summer holiday simply not being feasible for a lot of people anymore. 

If you're a parent losing your mind at home to kids running around all day with nothing to do, a new game console is a godsend especially when you have to smooth over the disappointment of telling them they're not going to Disneyworld or whatever that was promised 6 months ago ain't gonna happen now. 

There's no real precedent for any of this but it looks like all active game platforms are seeing a significant surge in sales. 

Animal crossing is also highly responsible. Covid helped it go viral online but the game itself is a huge factor. It just released at the best time. Without AC I'm sure it would have just had a slightly better boost than the other platforms 

Around the Network

Remember there will be a quarter where it’ll sell high and have to put hardware on store shelves. Holiday quarter could potentially be 12mil

Switch sales were pretty low last summer and I think it will easily beat it just with the AC + covid momentum which is still making the console out of stock going into july.

And I think y'all underestimate the power the Mario collection can have if marketed properly. It can be literally HUGE. Someone that grew up with Mario 64 or SS will find themselves having the package on the hot console. It can be crazy big if the collection is well done.

Like if they remaster the games and not just actually sport them. HUGE.

So imo, it will do around 24-25 millions. Crazy to think we have another console performing like that. I dont expect 2021 to drop a lot since they will probably have a lot of games with the minimum effort for this year. That + price cut or new model can keep it at 19-20 millions.

We shall know next year or even this holiday if it is going to outsell the PS4.

I'm going with 24. And what's insane, is that I might lowball it.
Now gief that Lineup Nintendo! I cant wait to see what's coming

xMetroid said:
Switch sales were pretty low last summer and I think it will easily beat it just with the AC + covid momentum which is still making the console out of stock going into july.

And I think y'all underestimate the power the Mario collection can have if marketed properly. It can be literally HUGE. Someone that grew up with Mario 64 or SS will find themselves having the package on the hot console. It can be crazy big if the collection is well done.

So imo, it will do around 24-25 millions. Crazy to think we have another console performing like that. I dont expect 2021 to drop a lot since they will probably have a lot of games with the minimum effort for this year. That + price cut or new model can keep it at 19-20 millions.

Yea it's crazy to think ... if next year has BOTW2, a new Pokemon, Odyssey 2, and maybe even Metroid Prime 4 .... that could easily be another 22-25 mil year. Any combination of 3 out of 4 of those games will do the trick (yes I know Prime doesn't traditionally sell a lot of consoles, and it definitely won't compared to something like AC or Odyssey or Pokemon etc, but I just think having a great lineup would further show that next year has a chance of selling nearly as much if not as much as this year). 

Around the Network

I'll go with 24-25 million

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
xMetroid said:

Yea it's crazy to think ... if next year has BOTW2, a new Pokemon, Odyssey 2, and maybe even Metroid Prime 4 .... that could easily be another 22-25 mil year. Any combination of 3 out of 4 of those games will do the trick (yes I know Prime doesn't traditionally sell a lot of consoles, and it definitely won't compared to something like AC or Odyssey or Pokemon etc, but I just think having a great lineup would further show that next year has a chance of selling nearly as much if not as much as this year). 

Yea exactly. I mean a game like Metroid Prime 4 would boost it since there is fans of the franchise that might have gone to other systems since they kinda dropped the franchise. It's also not a type of game that is on the frontline on Switch so it could bring a new group of people if the game is a critical success.

A 24 million year with that little communication and software release would be just huge and proves it can have legs.

VGC has the Wii's best calendar year as 2008 with 24.2m sold. Based on how most people are voting Switch is going to get very close to that, either just under it or just over it. It will definitely be interesting to see how this year's sales turn out. It could be one for the record books. (Although DS had years that were even higher.)

The_Liquid_Laser said:
VGC has the Wii's best calendar year as 2008 with 24.2m sold. Based on how most people are voting Switch is going to get very close to that, either just under it or just over it. It will definitely be interesting to see how this year's sales turn out. It could be one for the record books. (Although DS had years that were even higher.)

That would be nuts. Beating the Wii's peak year and outlegging it could bring the switch the an insane number lt.  I hope it happens just for the headlines.

Doctor_MG said:
I chose 22-24 million. I think that, currently, Switch sales are a bit front loaded due to COVID. I think the holiday boost won't be as big for the Switch as it is for other years due to the launch of the new consoles. Unless, of course, Nintendo has some good deals (temporary price cuts).

Not to mention that the Switch can only sell as much as Nintendo can produce. Which I believe they said they would be producing 22 million.

Nintendo did say they were increasing production but as far as I know, they didn't mention any numbers.