By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - J.K. Rowling Writes about Her Reasons for Speaking out on Sex and Gender Issues

Shinobi-san said:

You havent addressed anything i said. 

I think I addressed basically everything you said. 

If you disagree than somehow we clearly aren't on the same page about what we are talking about, and in that case I guess I have nothing further to say to you.

Have a good one?

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
sundin13 said:

How should individuals who don't identity as any gender be treated by sports? And what exactly does that mean? Your argument is far from clear.

I was also speaking about the top tier because I don't think it really matters if someone falls within what would be expected from a biological woman. Why should we do anything to prevent someone unremarkable from competing? Why is it less fair for a low/mid tier trans woman to play a sport than a high tier cis woman?

As for "fairness", you say sports are built on fairness, but don't regulate "natural athleticism", which is exactly what I am saying. The variation in "natural athleticism" is huge, and certainly not "fair". There isn't really anything here that I think counters my point. If anything it reinforces it. Yes, sports are deeper than that natural variation. That's kind of the point. 

As for whether men and women should compete together, I think that is an interesting question and I wouldn't personally object if we switched to a system which separated players by skill and not gender. However, I think that is more of a logistical question than a theoretical one. Further, we've actually seen a few female athletes playing on men's teams at the college level, and some who may soon be playing in the NFL. I have no problem with mixed sports. 

Back to the discussion, I think there are a few things that need to be determined here:

1) Is it actually "unfair" for trans athletes to compete?

2) Does that unfairness matter?

3) What should be done about it?

In my opinion, I don't think a solid argument has been made for any of these three points. Even the first which has largely been taken as a given is far from being proven. The only scientific study I found on the matter determined that trans athletes who have transitioned competed in the same position relative to their peers both before and after their transition. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/07/scientist-racing-discover-how-gender-transitions-alter-athletic-performance-including

To put it simply: the issue is you say "having trans-women in sports is unfair to cis-women" and cite (and I'm using that term liberally) anecdote to prove your case, but when someone actually studies the differences they don't appear. Now it's possible that marathon racing is special, but I think you would have to demonstrate that. 

sundin13 said:
DonFerrari said:

But I guess it is ok to call someone a conservative pundit freak right?

If you want to go by "there aren't that many transexual top level athlete" so it isn't important than we can say that considering the percentage of transexual people in the population talking about them at all isn't important as well? I don't think you would agree with that, would you?

I'm not sure if this is a language issue (not sure your native language), but that isn't what I said.

"conservative pundit" is the subject of the sentence. They are the group that is performing the action.

"freak out" is the action that they are doing. To freak out is to enter into a period of irrational behavior or emotional instability

I did not call anyone a "conservative pundit freak".

And I think there are a few differences between what I am saying and the parallel you just drew. The first is that there is an estimated 700,000 trans people in the USA. 700,000 is a little bit bigger than 2-10. The second is the severity of the issue we are talking about. Again, I don't really care if someone loses in a sports match. On the other hand, transgender people are the frequent target of violence, harassment, sexual assault and bullying and commit suicide at higher rates largely due to societal mistreatment. They simply aren't comparable. 

EDIT: Dammit Torillian pt. 2

You are right, well conservative pundits is also not something that is good to call people, but yes I do recognize freak out, but on the moment I read it formed as "conservative pundit freak", my bad on this.

I don't deny transexual people have their burden and that there is a significant number of them in the world. But when you try to put it as sport discussion for trans isn't important because there are few of them that is exactly the type of thing most minorities complain, that they are oppressed because their issues are considered out of importance because they are a minority.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sundin13 said:
Shinobi-san said:

I think I addressed basically everything you said. 

If you disagree than somehow we clearly aren't on the same page about what we are talking about, and in that case I guess I have nothing further to say to you.

Have a good one?

I disagree I don't think you actually address anything and certainly not at the quality of rebuttal that you task me with (zero proof).

Example 1: I say that there is a band or variation within natural athleticism among a biological sex and that there is some overlap across gender. You simply reply and say that the variation is so huge that it doesn't even matter. You have less evidence than me in saying that - as there is no current sport where male and females compete with an even spread of outcome to prove otherwise. And now you probably going to ask for a citation here when its common sense. So if you cant see how you are wrong on a such a basic item then what are we doing?

Example 2: You also limit the discussion to top tier but its not even clear if you understand all the levels of sport if you are saying that anything outside of the top tier (which is truly a small small % of competitive sport) is not important. I clearly state that it is these formats of sport that are most vulnerable as there are no regulations and gender testing etc. The fact that you so easily dismiss all forms of competitive sport is ridiculous and is also not a rebuttal.

Example 3: You talk about seperating based on skill and not gender. It will end up being the same thing. At school level 90% of men are better than woman. You are going to end up in the same predicament - as the transgender woman will end up competing against men again. Its a circular argument.

You say a lot of random points with zero backing but you want me to cite for some basic points.

Edit: Please note that you article that you linked you to, or rather the study that the article references talks about"after transitioning". There is some implication here or hormonal changes. Again this is where pro sports actually regulate. In competitive sports at other levels this transitioning is certainly not regulated. Unless im completely wrong here and are we now saying that those who identif as female or male needs to also undergo a physical transition? That sounds cruel and unfeasable. 

Last edited by Shinobi-san - on 03 July 2020

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

DonFerrari said:

You are right, well conservative pundits is also not something that is good to call people, but yes I do recognize freak out, but on the moment I read it formed as "conservative pundit freak", my bad on this.

I don't deny transexual people have their burden and that there is a significant number of them in the world. But when you try to put it as sport discussion for trans isn't important because there are few of them that is exactly the type of thing most minorities complain, that they are oppressed because their issues are considered out of importance because they are a minority.

A "conservative pundit" is just someone who gives their opinion in the media. I've never seen anyone consider either "conservative" or "pundit" to be pejorative. 

As for why I led off with saying that it is a tiny issue that doesn't really matter, it is because I don't want this to be used as a stand in for trans rights in general. Flashpoints often serve that purpose. It is something that individuals (predominantly in politics or the media) know will get people riled up and serves as a means of polarizing people. If you can get people to really dig in their heels about a topic like this, they will be less receptive to other aspects of trans rights. I am fine with having a conversation about this type of thing, despite its relatively tiny importance, but I want to keep the discussion in context. This is a fringe issue that has very few larger implications for the topic as a whole. To me, it is equivalent to discussing a rule change in cricket. Like, I'll discuss it as long as we all agree that rule changes in cricket shouldn't impact how we treat people and think about people and what rights we give to people outside of cricket. Probably should have made that clear from the outset, but I didn't expect my comment to be such a sticking point for people. 

Around the Network
Torillian said:
Shinobi-san said:

To put it simply: the issue is you say "having trans-women in sports is unfair to cis-women" and cite (and I'm using that term liberally) anecdote to prove your case, but when someone actually studies the differences they don't appear. Now it's possible that marathon racing is special, but I think you would have to demonstrate that. 

Hold up are you saying now that everything said in this discussion in this entire thread is backed up with a citation? That is rediculous. We have not gone into the validity of Sundin's citation either. What are you doing here Torillian?

Edit: Study also clearly says " their race times slowed after transitioning". Reading a bit more indicates a hormonal change. This is not even what we were discussing.

Last edited by Shinobi-san - on 03 July 2020

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

sundin13 said:
DonFerrari said:

A "conservative pundit" is just someone who gives their opinion in the media. I've never seen anyone consider either "conservative" or "pundit" to be pejorative. 

As for why I led off with saying that it is a tiny issue that doesn't really matter, it is because I don't want this to be used as a stand in for trans rights in general. Flashpoints often serve that purpose. It is something that individuals (predominantly in politics or the media) know will get people riled up and serves as a means of polarizing people. If you can get people to really dig in their heels about a topic like this, they will be less receptive to other aspects of trans rights. I am fine with having a conversation about this type of thing, despite its relatively tiny importance, but I want to keep the discussion in context. This is a fringe issue that has very few larger implications for the topic as a whole. To me, it is equivalent to discussing a rule change in cricket. Like, I'll discuss it as long as we all agree that rule changes in cricket shouldn't impact how we treat people and think about people and what rights we give to people outside of cricket. Probably should have made that clear from the outset, but I didn't expect my comment to be such a sticking point for people. 

Understood and acknowledge.

Yes I do agree that on the order of relevance of what is possibly important for majority of transexual people the discussion on sports is probably minor.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Shinobi-san said:
Torillian said:

Hold up are you saying now that everything said in this discussion in this entire thread is backed up with a citation? That is rediculous. We have not gone into the validity of Sundin's citation either. What are you doing here Torillian?

I've read Sundin's citation before, as someone vaguely related to the field I get these things as email updates when something interesting is posted in the journal Science. 

I'm here because I'm curious if you have any studies that would go against what Sundin has posted because I've read that before and I could think of reasons it may not apply to other sports but it's pretty convincing on its own without other studies to show its faults. Opinions and vague ideas of what could happen to sports is fine, but if you want to make policy that should be based off hard evidence and as little conjecture as possible. So far it seems that marathon running can move forward without making any special categorization of trans athletes. I'd be interested to see how this applies to other sports.

Response to your edit: Well if you're talking about people just saying "I'm a girl now" and jumping into women's sports then we can just make a rule against that. It's a boring question. 

Transgender people need only answer one question if they wish to be taken seriously:

How does one know what it is like to be different than one is?

Since this is impossible, their case is uniquely and detrimentally grounded in delusion.

RenCutypoison said:
Immersiveunreality said:

Thats good.

And now you stop the extreme that people like you are so vulnerable of being beaten up,that is a rarity.

Nearly half (48%) of all respondents in the sample reported being denied equal treatment, verbally harassed, and/or physically attacked in the past year because of being transgender.
• One in seven (14%) respondents reported that they were denied equal treatment or service in a public place in the past year because of being transgender.
• Nearly half (46%) of respondents reported that they were verbally harassed in the past year because of being transgender.
• Nearly one in ten (9%) respondents reported that they were physically attacked in the past year because of being transgender.
Nearly half (47%) of respondents have been sexually assaulted at some point in their lifetime.
One in ten (10%) respondents in the survey were sexually assaulted in the past year.
More than half (54%) of respondents experienced some form of intimate partner violence.
• More than one-third (35%) experienced physical violence by an intimate partner, compared to 30% of the U.S. adult population. Nearly one-quarter (24%) experienced severe physical violence by a current or former partner, compared with 18% of the U.S. population.

source : https://transequality.org/sites/default/files/docs/usts/USTS-Full-Report-Dec17.pdf

But how you think that it will be better if someone does not need to disclose sex to someone if possible dating?

How many of these respondents were harrassed/attacked as a result of that?

And this survey seems to have made efforts to not only get results with discriminating effects but it can not prove it's own factuality.

''The study population included individuals who
identified as transgender, trans, genderqueer,
non-binary, and other identities on the transgender
identity spectrum, in order to encompass a wide
range of transgender identities, regardless of
terminology used by the respondent. Although
“transgender” was defined broadly for the
purposes of this study as being inclusive of a
wide range of identities—such as genderqueer,
non-binary, and crossdresser''

''Additionally, materials specified that
the survey was for adults at any stage of their lives,
journey, or transition to encourage participation
among individuals with diverse experiences''

These kind of studies usually attract more respondents with negative experiences and people with distorted mental illness,it is hard to project this on the whole community.