By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - J.K. Rowling Writes about Her Reasons for Speaking out on Sex and Gender Issues

DonFerrari said:
sundin13 said:

First of all, I think when having this discussion we have to first acknowledge that the question doesn't really matter. There's such a tiny portion of athletes who are both trans and top tier at their sport. You are talking about an issue that maybe impacts two people in the world, and the extent of it actually mattering is pretty low relative to other concerns.

That said, personally I think the issue revolves around the central unfairness of sports, because at the end of the day, sports aren't fair. It isn't fair to be almost 8ft tall and playing basketball next to other players who are under six feet. It isn't fair that some cis women have higher natural testosterone levels than other cis women. I agree that in some circumstances, being a trans woman competing against cis women gives you an unfair advantage, but at the end of the day, fairness shouldn't be the deciding factor, and without that argument I don't really see any objective footing to object from, but I'll gladly hear you make an argument if you would like to present one. 

Odd, I have read and heard constant discussion over the subject of trans in sports and at least in Brazil it made the news a lot of times.

Yeah, its a flashpoint because a lot of people like to get really mad about sports, but it doesn't really matter. It seems like every time one of these stories comes up, all of the conservative pundits freak out about it and then that person loses and they go silent...

PS: Its kind of demeaning to refer to people simply as "trans". Its like saying "there are a bunch of blacks here". I don't know if people would take offense to it, but it just doesn't sound good haha.

Around the Network
AsGryffynn said:
sundin13 said:

First of all, I think when having this discussion we have to first acknowledge that the question doesn't really matter. There's such a tiny portion of athletes who are both trans and top tier at their sport. You are talking about an issue that maybe impacts two people in the world, and the extent of it actually mattering is pretty low relative to other concerns.

That said, personally I think the issue revolves around the central unfairness of sports, because at the end of the day, sports aren't fair. It isn't fair to be almost 8ft tall and playing basketball next to other players who are under six feet. It isn't fair that some cis women have higher natural testosterone levels than other cis women. I agree that in some circumstances, being a trans woman competing against cis women gives you an unfair advantage, but at the end of the day, fairness shouldn't be the deciding factor, and without that argument I don't really see any objective footing to object from, but I'll gladly hear you make an argument if you would like to present one. 

Individual assessment? It's treating everything with a blanket mentality that has led to the insane amounts of dysfunction we have to deal with now. 

I'm not sure what you are trying to say here.

sundin13 said:
Shinobi-san said:
Im curious though, how do we actually tackle the sports question?

If you feel the question doesn't matter then i guess there is no need to discuss it. My argument is quite simple and I already mentioned it - there are certain cases where it does not make sense for people to identify as any gender.

Your opinion on sport also seems uninformed, you are referencing top tier athletes, yet that is not where the real issue lies. Professional sport is highly regulated and transgender woman are actually put through a host of tests and therapies to normalize their competitiveness. As we clearly saw with Caster Semenya. These are just easy to use as references and perhaps ultimately can lead to the most extreme differences. Still very relevant though.

Also, fairness is the bedrock of competitive sport. Sports go out of its way to ensure relative conformity, whether its a bowling action guideline for cricket bowlers, weight classes in all combat sports, etc. What they cant regulate though is natural athleticism as you mentioned. But i would argue that males and females compete within a band of physical performance (as we can see from perhaps a spread of male and female places in a marathon). And maybe there is some small overlap, but to equate a tall basket ball player to a male beating up a female is ridiculous for obvious reasons. There are multiple strategies to a game like basketball that doesn't rely on height. Steph curry was MVP for 2 seasons in a row and he was constantly the shortest, and probably weakest player on the court. If what you are saying has any real world application then we should simply allow men and woman to compete as they are now. There is no difference. We dont, because everyone wants to compete on a relatively equal footing.

As a sidenote I've watched first hand how a single transgender woman absolutely demolished a semi pro womans volleyball team. The lady was not the biggest or tallest player. But the power, speed, accuracy and i think perhaps most importantly hand-eye co-ordination was clearly on another level. This can happen at any level of competition be it in school, pre-school, uni, club etc. 

I guess its easy to say that sport doesn't matter, and perhaps any host of other topics i guess we can just exclude from the discourse. But these are the obvious impacts of gender identity within these areas of life. And to simply say they don't matter perhaps because its unimportant to you is disingenuous.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

sundin13 said:
DonFerrari said:

Odd, I have read and heard constant discussion over the subject of trans in sports and at least in Brazil it made the news a lot of times.

Yeah, its a flashpoint because a lot of people like to get really mad about sports, but it doesn't really matter. It seems like every time one of these stories comes up, all of the conservative pundits freak out about it and then that person loses and they go silent...

PS: Its kind of demeaning to refer to people simply as "trans". Its like saying "there are a bunch of blacks here". I don't know if people would take offense to it, but it just doesn't sound good haha.

But I guess it is ok to call someone a conservative pundit freak right?

If you want to go by "there aren't that many transexual top level athlete" so it isn't important than we can say that considering the percentage of transexual people in the population talking about them at all isn't important as well? I don't think you would agree with that, would you?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

sundin13 said:
DonFerrari said:

completely unnecessary dude -_-

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
Shinobi-san said:
sundin13 said:

If you feel the question doesn't matter then i guess there is no need to discuss it. My argument is quite simple and I already mentioned it - there are certain cases where it does not make sense for people to identify as any gender.

Your opinion on sport also seems uninformed, you are referencing top tier athletes, yet that is not where the real issue lies. Professional sport is highly regulated and transgender woman are actually put through a host of tests and therapies to normalize their competitiveness. As we clearly saw with Caster Semenya. These are just easy to use as references and perhaps ultimately can lead to the most extreme differences. Still very relevant though.

Also, fairness is the bedrock of competitive sport. Sports go out of its way to ensure relative conformity, whether its a bowling action guideline for cricket bowlers, weight classes in all combat sports, etc. What they cant regulate though is natural athleticism as you mentioned. But i would argue that males and females compete within a band of physical performance (as we can see from perhaps a spread of male and female places in a marathon). And maybe there is some small overlap, but to equate a tall basket ball player to a male beating up a female is ridiculous for obvious reasons. There are multiple strategies to a game like basketball that doesn't rely on height. Steph curry was MVP for 2 seasons in a row and he was constantly the shortest, and probably weakest player on the court. If what you are saying has any real world application then we should simply allow men and woman to compete as they are now. There is no difference. We dont, because everyone wants to compete on a relatively equal footing.

As a sidenote I've watched first hand how a single transgender woman absolutely demolished a semi pro womans volleyball team. The lady was not the biggest or tallest player. But the power, speed, accuracy and i think perhaps most importantly hand-eye co-ordination was clearly on another level. This can happen at any level of competition be it in school, pre-school, uni, club etc. 

I guess its easy to say that sport doesn't matter, and perhaps any host of other topics i guess we can just exclude from the discourse. But these are the obvious impacts of gender identity within these areas of life. And to simply say they don't matter perhaps because its unimportant to you is disingenuous.

How should individuals who don't identity as any gender be treated by sports? And what exactly does that mean? Your argument is far from clear.

I was also speaking about the top tier because I don't think it really matters if someone falls within what would be expected from a biological woman. Why should we do anything to prevent someone unremarkable from competing? Why is it less fair for a low/mid tier trans woman to play a sport than a high tier cis woman?

As for "fairness", you say sports are built on fairness, but don't regulate "natural athleticism", which is exactly what I am saying. The variation in "natural athleticism" is huge, and certainly not "fair". There isn't really anything here that I think counters my point. If anything it reinforces it. Yes, sports are deeper than that natural variation. That's kind of the point. 

As for whether men and women should compete together, I think that is an interesting question and I wouldn't personally object if we switched to a system which separated players by skill and not gender. However, I think that is more of a logistical question than a theoretical one. Further, we've actually seen a few female athletes playing on men's teams at the college level, and some who may soon be playing in the NFL. I have no problem with mixed sports. 

Back to the discussion, I think there are a few things that need to be determined here:

1) Is it actually "unfair" for trans athletes to compete?

2) Does that unfairness matter?

3) What should be done about it?

In my opinion, I don't think a solid argument has been made for any of these three points. Even the first which has largely been taken as a given is far from being proven. The only scientific study I found on the matter determined that trans athletes who have transitioned competed in the same position relative to their peers both before and after their transition. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/07/scientist-racing-discover-how-gender-transitions-alter-athletic-performance-including

DonFerrari said:
sundin13 said:

If you want to go by "there aren't that many transexual top level athlete" so it isn't important than we can say that considering the percentage of transexual people in the population talking about them at all isn't important as well? I don't think you would agree with that, would you?

noone is being called a conservative pundit freak. "freak" is the verb in this instance. The conservative pundits are going nuts or "freaking out" about this subject. 

DonFerrari said:
sundin13 said:

I'm not sure if this is a language issue (not sure your native language), but that isn't what I said.

"conservative pundit" is the subject of the sentence. They are the group that is performing the action.

"freak out" is the action that they are doing. To freak out is to enter into a period of irrational behavior or emotional instability

I did not call anyone a "conservative pundit freak".

And I think there are a few differences between what I am saying and the parallel you just drew. The first is that there is an estimated 700,000 trans people in the USA. 700,000 is a little bit bigger than 2-10. The second is the severity of the issue we are talking about. Again, I don't really care if someone loses in a sports match. On the other hand, transgender people are the frequent target of violence, harassment, sexual assault and bullying and commit suicide at higher rates largely due to societal mistreatment. They simply aren't comparable. 

EDIT: Dammit Torillian pt. 2

sundin13 said:
Shinobi-san said:

How should individuals who don't identity as any gender be treated by sports? And what exactly does that mean? Your argument is far from clear.

I was also speaking about the top tier because I don't think it really matters if someone falls within what would be expected from a biological woman. Why should we do anything to prevent someone unremarkable from competing? Why is it less fair for a low/mid tier trans woman to play a sport than a high tier cis woman?

As for "fairness", you say sports are built on fairness, but don't regulate "natural athleticism", which is exactly what I am saying. The variation in "natural athleticism" is huge, and certainly not "fair". There isn't really anything here that I think counters my point. If anything it reinforces it. Yes, sports are deeper than that natural variation. That's kind of the point. 

As for whether men and women should compete together, I think that is an interesting question and I wouldn't personally object if we switched to a system which separated players by skill and not gender. However, I think that is more of a logistical question than a theoretical one. Further, we've actually seen a few female athletes playing on men's teams at the college level, and some who may soon be playing in the NFL. I have no problem with mixed sports. 

Back to the discussion, I think there are a few things that need to be determined here:

1) Is it actually "unfair" for trans athletes to compete?

2) Does that unfairness matter?

3) What should be done about it?

In my opinion, I don't think a solid argument has been made for any of these three points. Even the first which has largely been taken as a given is far from being proven. The only scientific study I found on the matter determined that trans athletes who have transitioned competed in the same position relative to their peers both before and after their transition. 

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/07/scientist-racing-discover-how-gender-transitions-alter-athletic-performance-including

You havent addressed anything i said. 

sundin13 said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm not sure if this is a language issue (not sure your native language), but that isn't what I said.

"conservative pundit" is the subject of the sentence. They are the group that is performing the action.

"freak out" is the action that they are doing. To freak out is to enter into a period of irrational behavior or emotional instability

I did not call anyone a "conservative pundit freak".

And I think there are a few differences between what I am saying and the parallel you just drew. The first is that there is an estimated 700,000 trans people in the USA. 700,000 is a little bit bigger than 2-10. The second is the severity of the issue we are talking about. Again, I don't really care if someone loses in a sports match. On the other hand, transgender people are the frequent target of violence, harassment, sexual assault and bullying and commit suicide at higher rates largely due to societal mistreatment. They simply aren't comparable. 

EDIT: Dammit Torillian pt. 2

Read that wrong as well but unfortunately english is my first langauge :(