By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Pokemon New Snap announced, coming to Switch

Tagged games:

JWeinCom said:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a game that I actually think would have worked better on Wii U.  It's one of the contexts where it actually makes sense to have two screens, as in real life when you're taking pictures you have what you're actually seeing, and what you see in on the camera.  Still, better than nothing.

We have finally come full circle with this comic strip. The original was about nintendo too.

Around the Network
IcaroRibeiro said:

I've played that in N64 when I was 7 or 8 years old

It's nice but it didn't take too long before I get bored and went back to Pokemon Stadium

Edit: By the way this is how a Pokemon Main series game on Switch should look like, not that overused 3DS assets from Sword & Shield

Having completed Sword and Shield... Visually the game looked like a dogs breakfast, I think there have been 6th gen games where 2D sprites stuck out less.
..And I felt the game didn't really change it's narrative all that much over Red/Blue, which was the last mainline pokemon game I had played before that one... Seems the franchise might have settled on a formula and stuck with it, which isn't a bad thing, but not a way to impress me.

Saying that, it wasn't a terrible game... But I expected more of a gameplay/story leap going from Gameboy > Gameboy Colour > Gameboy Advance > Nintendo DS > Nintendo 3DS > Nintendo Switch... And more of a visual leap on top of it.

And I felt they wanted to take the game open world, but just didn't or couldn't for some reason.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

The game looks great but the sunset screenshot in particular looks a little ... low res? Kinda blurry? Which sucks because it's the most artistically interesting scene.

Seems the water shader might be quarter-resolution, giving everything under the water surface some excessive stair-stepping, textures seems to be pretty decent for a Switch game, likely augmented by the strong artistic direction.
Lacks Anti-Aliasing and decent texture filtering, but those seem to be common attributes with Nintendo titles.

Not enough engine footage, but I am going to assume it's using baked lighting and some shadowing, which will change depending on various variables, more developer effort, but saves on computation.

High quality post-process effects are front and center like depth of field... It's a must when your game revolves around photography.

All in all.. I am keen to check this game out, actually enjoyed the N64 version back in the day for what it was.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

If the trailer is anything to go by, the game will be 60fps, which is always nice and not something often seen in non-indie Switch games not developed by Nintendo.

In a game about lining up shots, the extra smoothness should make it feel a lot better than it would at 30.

Pemalite said:

Having completed Sword and Shield... Visually the game looked like a dogs breakfast, I think there have been 6th gen games where 2D sprites stuck out less.
..And I felt the game didn't really change it's narrative all that much over Red/Blue, which was the last mainline pokemon game I had played before that one... Seems the franchise might have settled on a formula and stuck with it, which isn't a bad thing, but not a way to impress me.

Saying that, it wasn't a terrible game... But I expected more of a gameplay/story leap going from Gameboy > Gameboy Colour > Gameboy Advance > Nintendo DS > Nintendo 3DS > Nintendo Switch... And more of a visual leap on top of it.

And I felt they wanted to take the game open world, but just didn't or couldn't for some reason.

The game visuals are indeed garbage, but what really annoys me is the way assets pop up out of nowhere in the Wild Area:

I just hated this so much, I couldn't stand be there. This game is just so lazy, I can't even imagine they don't designed fucking backgrounds Jesus Christ, a indie game developer wouldn't be that unqualified:

They made a cut on Dex promising high quality animations and models, when in reallity they were just reusing old 3DS animations:

I disagree with your statement. This game is terrible. It's by far the worst Switch game I've played

Last edited by IcaroRibeiro - on 21 June 2020

curl-6 said:

If the trailer is anything to go by, the game will be 60fps, which is always nice and not something often seen in non-indie Switch games not developed by Nintendo.

In a game about lining up shots, the extra smoothness should make it feel a lot better than it would at 30.

That seems like really ... really oddly specific criteria  

Also Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Crafted World and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate are all 60fps (or have performance modes that target it), use Nintendo IPs, and are not developed by Nintendo. I know some of those are Wii U games but, it's actually not too uncommon for non-inhouse exclusives to reach 60fps. 

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

Also Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Fire Emblem Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Crafted World and Super Smash Brothers Ultimate are all 60fps (or have performance modes that target it), use Nintendo IPs, and are not developed by Nintendo. I know some of those are Wii U games but, it's actually not too uncommon for non-inhouse exclusives to reach 60fps. 

Well, technically Tropical Freeze is in-house as Retro are a first party Nintendo dev. :p

60fps isn't unheard of in externally developed Switch games, but given its hardware spec relative to the competition a lot of devs find it easier to target 30, so it's nice to see Bandai Namco go the extra mile, especially its the kind of game where they could've gotten away with 30 and nobody would've complained.

curl-6 said:

Well, technically Tropical Freeze is in-house as Retro are a first party Nintendo dev. :p

60fps isn't unheard of in externally developed Switch games, but given its hardware spec relative to the competition a lot of devs find it easier to target 30, so it's nice to see Bandai Namco go the extra mile, especially its the kind of game where they could've gotten away with 30 and nobody would've complained.

Well when you said developed by Nintendo, it sounded like you meant EPD, so that's what I was referring to when I said in-house. 

I just hope it doesn't take too much of a graphics hit, given it's a game about taking pictures. 

curl-6 said:

Well when you said developed by Nintendo, it sounded like you meant EPD, so that's what I was referring to when I said in-house. 

I just hope it doesn't take too much of a graphics hit, given it's a game about taking pictures. 

Well, looking at the trailer the graphics seem fine to me.

curl-6 said:

Well, looking at the trailer the graphics seem fine to me.

I agree just a general statement. 

I really liked the first game. I remember however that I was disappointed that it was played on rails. I got the game because i thought one would be able to walk around freely and look for pokémon. Like actually search for them. Well, my expectations on that front is more in line with reality now.

Seeing the creatures act more in their environment and catch that with the camera is still fun. Adding additional ways to interact and giving the levels a more dynamic setting where things do not look and act the same way all the time will be enough for me to pick this game up.

Think I need to plug in my old pokémon snap and view the photo album, had lots of pictures with stupid but fun captions.