By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - The 8th Gen 1st party reception and sales battle

khotboat said:

So what is your definition of winning a console race? Hardware sales? Software sales? Revenue? Net income?

whatever makes it so that Sony comes out on top

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

You should really use official shipment numbers for games that have that. It's not the exact same as sales ofc, but realistically it's a lot closer to the actual sales than the VGC estimates, especially since they stopped updating those.
Also you should decide whether you're going with all exclusives or just 1st parties. You state here you'll be including games made inhouse or contracted, but I'm pretty sure Persona 5 was neither for example.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

DonFerrari said:
jonathanalis said:
Wii U not gen 8?

It would be to unfavorable to use WiiU for Nintendo instead of Switch, it had less games, less sales and lower critical reception.

Yet the Switch had HALF the time and you didn't put Botw which is literally one of if not the most critically acclaimed game of this generation which is pretty much considered as a Switch game. Not like it only got ported over, it released the same day as the Switch and got 95% of it sales on it.

Anyway this thread is pointless. See you in 4 years.

Tries to call Switch gen 8, but won't include BotW or MK8 (both gen 8 games) because they were on Nintendo's actual gen 8 console. Also sales numbers from Animal Crossing are missing, despite them being available for a few instances of time, and makes claims that gen 8 (a gen you are grouping Switch into) is coming to an end yet fail to mention that Nintendo's list size could double before it is over as it is only halfway through its life at most.

"A" for effort, but a failed attempt by a country mile. You arguably did not even need to avoid using all gen 8 games from Nintendo, but you intentionally went out of your way to do so. Kind of fishy if you ask me.

Last edited by Shiken - on 15 June 2020

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

If we are looking at the 8th generation of videogames, 3DS titles and Vita titles should also be accounted for. Some of the best games of the generation were on 3DS. Also, no Wii U? That is the console that went up against the PS4 and XBONE moreso than the Switch. Switch is 9th gen. New gens don't start only when Sony and Microsoft put out new consoles.

1doesnotsimply

Around the Network

Will rework on a thread that will count the last 7 years and count only games made by internal studios.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

UnderwaterFunktown said:
You should really use official shipment numbers for games that have that. It's not the exact same as sales ofc, but realistically it's a lot closer to the actual sales than the VGC estimates, especially since they stopped updating those.
Also you should decide whether you're going with all exclusives or just 1st parties. You state here you'll be including games made inhouse or contracted, but I'm pretty sure Persona 5 was neither for example.

Yes I'll go hunt for shipment numbers, but that will take a little more time.

On the Zelda and other similar complains it was crossgen, but on the next thread it won't be an issue.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Don excludes Breath of the Wild because it's cross-gen, despite believing that Switch is part of Gen 8 just like Wii U.

Yet he includes Persona 5, a game that:
1.) Is also cross-gen (PS3 and PS4,) and
2.) Is not even published by Sony.

Incredible.

StarDoor said:

Don excludes Breath of the Wild because it's cross-gen, despite believing that Switch is part of Gen 8 just like Wii U.

Yet he includes Persona 5, a game that:
1.) Is also cross-gen (PS3 and PS4,) and
2.) Is not even published by Sony.

Incredible.

convenience, maybe?

How is it fair to have Switch on here over Wii U? Switch is barely halfway through its life.

I know Wii U was cut short, but it at least had what, 4 years of support? That's at least more fair than this.