By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo 2DS Officially Discontinued??

The Wii U was an upgraded Wii same architecture more power. A friend of mine thinks that if Nintendo didn't go with the mandatory tablet controller the Wii U could have continue the Wii success. Without the tablet controller it could have been cheaper, Wii games, controllers and accessories are compatible with Wii U so it could have went on as a Wii 2. Some other people think that the tablet controller was an important in between step for the switch tho so who knows what would have been better.

On topic: no it hasn't but it is obvious it will be soon. 

Around the Network
Chicho said:

The Wii U was an upgraded Wii same architecture more power

Only in terms of its CPU. GPU used a different and much more modern architecture, DX10/11 tier as opposed to the DX7 era fixed function GPU of the Wii.

Just imagine a Wii U without the Gamepad and selling at $250 at launch. Imagine the 2DS XL entirely replacing the launch model of the 3DS in 2011, and selling for $175. That generation would have had 150 million units sold between Wii U and the DS successor.

Signalstar said:
If it was "officially" discontinued there would be an "official" announcement so the question is a bit redundant.

Would Nintendo actually make an official announcement of it though? Wouldn't they more likely just let it quietly slip away, why announce it?

Well, good thing I got mine back in 2017.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
Signalstar said:
If it was "officially" discontinued there would be an "official" announcement so the question is a bit redundant.

Would Nintendo actually make an official announcement of it though? Wouldn't they more likely just let it quietly slip away, why announce it?

Yes, that's the difference between officially discontinuing something and quietly discontinuing something. My point is if it was an official discontinuation there would be an explicit an announcement. The thread title should ask Nintendo 2DS Quietly Discontinued?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Just imagine a Wii U without the Gamepad and selling at $250 at launch. Imagine the 2DS XL entirely replacing the launch model of the 3DS in 2011, and selling for $175. That generation would have had 150 million units sold between Wii U and the DS successor.

The Wii U without the Gamepad probably could've cost only 200$, the Gamepad alone nearly cost half the price of the entire system to manufacture. Tbh lauching with a 175$ 2DS instead of a 3DS at launch wouldn't really have done anything to lift 3DS sales since Nintendo dropped the 3DS price to 170$ only a few months after launch. While I think launching a Wii U without a Gamepad at 200$ would've definitely helped Wii U sales dramatically since it'll be a true budget system for people that was half the cost of a PS4/Xbox One, launching with a 2ds wouldn't have improved the 3DS  sales at all. No way Nintendo would be even close to 150M gen sales, Max probably 110.

Signalstar said:
curl-6 said:

Yes, that's the difference between officially discontinuing something and quietly discontinuing something. My point is if it was an official discontinuation there would be an explicit an announcement. The thread title should ask Nintendo 2DS Quietly Discontinued?

I'm just saying, when it is discontinued, I don't expect we'll get any kind of official announcement.

javi741 said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The Wii U without the Gamepad probably could've cost only 200$, the Gamepad alone nearly cost half the price of the entire system to manufacture. Tbh lauching with a 175$ 2DS instead of a 3DS at launch wouldn't really have done anything to lift 3DS sales since Nintendo dropped the 3DS price to 170$ only a few months after launch. While I think launching a Wii U without a Gamepad at 200$ would've definitely helped Wii U sales dramatically since it'll be a true budget system for people that was half the cost of a PS4/Xbox One, launching with a 2ds wouldn't have improved the 3DS  sales at all. No way Nintendo would be even close to 150M gen sales, Max probably 110.

2DS XL model, not original 2DS. 

It seems discontinued, and Nintendo likely won't make an official announcement. The eShop will stay open in major regions until 2022-2023 I'm thinking.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima